Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sway Bar Install How-to
Does anyone know where I could find this info. i've checked here and also the board we dare not speak of. I couldn't find s**t. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

- Mike
Uhh...it will become VERY apparant to you once you get under the car.

The rear is extremely easy.

There are 2 end links, and 2 bushings. The end links you just have to remove the one nut and it's off (You'll know which one when you see it) Then the bushing have 2 bolts each..EASY and that's it. It's REALLY REALLY simple.

#1 thing that I can say, jack up BOTH SIDES of the car. :) With both sides jacked up it will be a simple task.

Front..never did it..so can't 100% confirm.
Told ya it was 2 or 4 bolts, =P .. you dont need a tutorial .. i told you it was easy as well... ;)
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
Yeah it'll be ultra simple once you get under it. Essentially just remove all the bolts that are attached to it. :D

I have no idea about the front though.
I'm more concerned about the front. I realize the back is a joke!
The front crossmember must be unbolted and lowered in order to remove the bar and install the new one.
Gumby,Aug 25 2004, 09:58 AM Wrote:The front crossmember must be unbolted and lowered in order to remove the bar and install the new one.
Yep, I did the rear myself but had the dealership do the front. :huh:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
if you have access to a hoist the front is easy too....basically you just unbolt the front sub frame and lower on jack...slide (sorta) the old out and reverse to get new in....not as bad asd people have said....best mod ever
CD silver 03zx5,wings west type w, hella projectors,painted SVt upper grill, Grillcraft lower grill,clear corners,clear upper brake light, team dynamic 15 spoke x 17" rims,Kumho 712's 215/40,pacesetter header,magnaflow cat back,FC 65mm tb,RactiveCAI,MSD dis2 ignition,Tayler Vertex wires,SHM udp,Ractive upper strut tower brace,FK hitec suspension with springs/dampers-35/40 drop,Eibach front/rear anti sway bars,Steeda short throw shifter,Momo race air leather knob and e-brake handle,custom fiberglass upper dash with AC el -glow oil pressure/volt gauges,el-glow face gauges
i always say this...
the front bar is a wste of time with only a 24 or 25mm rear bar! stay with the stock in the front!
it provides a much nicer, easier to modulate mid-corner attitude and it allows you to rotate the rear alot smoother.
adding the front bar will only make your car plow in hard cornering...

i tested this out with my old eibach bars way back in the day at the autoX.
pick up nearly a sec with the stock front!
ZX3TUNING,Aug 25 2004, 10:23 PM Wrote:i always say this...
the front bar is a wste of time with only a 24 or 25mm rear bar! stay with the stock in the front!
it provides a much nicer, easier to modulate mid-corner attitude and it allows you to rotate the rear alot smoother.
adding the front bar will only make your car plow in hard cornering...

i tested this out with my old eibach bars way back in the day at the autoX.
pick up nearly a sec with the stock front!
dude..... ;) ......I so absolutely could not agree with you less....I am by no means a suspension tech, but I have been playing around with sport compacts since before anyone called them this....the front sway bar , and more specifically the eibach kit that I have installed has worked wonders in neutralizing what I would call a close to unpredictable "break" point at witch the rear end flies out on you. In fact the combination of a stiffer bar out back (that would normally, if used alone ,create a worse problem of hair trigger oversteer) is very nicely offset with the bigger bar up front . When pushed I have found that the increased tightness up front has stopped the tendencies for the ZX5 that I drive to feel "on the edge".

and before you ask....no I dont autocross.....but I do drive ....hard .....very hard ....regularly. In addition there is some respectable race background in behind me ....albeit some years ago.

any way, I listen to all the BS about this topic both here and on the jet and what is so often overlooked in this equation is that the intire system , even if buoght as a collection of individual pieces must represent a balanced whole...and finding this is usually more good luck than good management. However to make a blanket statement that a front sway bar will do X to a car is far to generic an answer for most ,if not all situations. Different spring rates,ride hieghts, unsprung wieght (wheels) adjustable dampers vs non adjustable dampers ,2 DOOR vs 4 DOOR chasis configurations etc. etc.etc....all have a contributing factor to the balance of the suspension system. Seems the more you learn the tech here the more you realize just how much tech there is to be consumed.

Having driven all of the varius configurations of chasis the Focus has to offer , including the SVT with marginally different bar sizes than the regular Focus (and different spring rates) I have found that generally the 2 door hatch is far easier to get sideways thna the zx5 that I drive....this is not however to say that the zx5 under my current form of modification "plows" through either , in fact it presents a confidence that the feedback your getting is realy quite nuetral and by extension predictable.

ah...predictability....in the hands of a reasonable capable driver can make for some good times through just about any coarse/road situation. It is my steadfast opinion that predictabliity and balance are by far the 2 most important elements to a sound street (and part time track ) car . with out this your done. Good quality anti sway bars thuoghtfully engineered ,properly manufactured , properly sized for the application and variables are a huge component to the equation.

anyway the car handle better with the front bar on
CD silver 03zx5,wings west type w, hella projectors,painted SVt upper grill, Grillcraft lower grill,clear corners,clear upper brake light, team dynamic 15 spoke x 17" rims,Kumho 712's 215/40,pacesetter header,magnaflow cat back,FC 65mm tb,RactiveCAI,MSD dis2 ignition,Tayler Vertex wires,SHM udp,Ractive upper strut tower brace,FK hitec suspension with springs/dampers-35/40 drop,Eibach front/rear anti sway bars,Steeda short throw shifter,Momo race air leather knob and e-brake handle,custom fiberglass upper dash with AC el -glow oil pressure/volt gauges,el-glow face gauges
Wow.. Dad... that was so articulated!
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)