Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Am Doing My Rear Brakes This Weekend.
Ok so here is the deal. I have to replace my rear shoes this weekend. Weather should be good as long as the rain holds off. So far it looks as if I shouldn't get to wet. I am going to be replacing my drums, shoes, and the spring kit. I have printed off 2 or 3 "how to" documents and I have a question. In all of the print outs it is telling me to remove the drum by taking the rear spindle off by removing the 4 bolts on the backing plate. Wouldn't it just be easier to remove the grease cap and and take off the spindle nut as I am going to be replacing the drums anyway?

Please let me know about your experiences before I start ripping my car apart. Once I start I will be without transportation until the job is complete. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Kevin.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Do your drums already have the bearings pressed in them? If not go and get a bearing kit and have them pressed in before you start. I went to do mine on my old zx3 a few years ago and then had to drive to a shop to have someone press in new bearings.

Edit: I also assume you probably painted your new drums right? Its sooo much easier off the car :)
I had go some Rayebestos before with the bearings already in them. Take the dust cap off and try not to bend the hell out of it. Then take the nut off look at my read disk coversions pics for how to do that. If you need help give a ring.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

I have just been quoted on drums w/hubs and as far as the parts guy said it comes complete with a bearing already installed. That being said I don't think I should have a problem. But I probably just jinxed myself.

Drums will be painted prior to installation. I hate rusty brake parts.

How many kms on her?
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Mar 6 2009, 12:08 PM Wrote:How many kms on her?
[right][snapback]282222[/snapback][/right]

15X,XXXkms. Not sure if they were done before I got the car @ 68K, probably not.

it is easier to take the four bolts off of the back because you are &quot;supposed&quot; to replace the axle nut if you take it off. also if you have abs and you get the bearings pressed in you have to be careful because there is an abs ring around the bearing that bends very easily and you need to lightly tap it on.
If you're buying Ford OE parts, you're best to buy the drums with the bearings already pressed in. It may be a bit more money, but you will save yourself a whole WORLD of headache by purchasing a complete unit. If you've got ABS, make sure you transfer the exciter ring over to the new assembly, as OE (and most aftermarket) do not come included with new ones in the box.

Just a huge word of advice when reinstalling the spindle nut...make sure you have that thing secured on there TIGHTLY! Recommend using an impact gun if you have access to one - because those suckers have to be torqued down to about 175 lb.ft.
Just some good arm strength and mine was tight. The abs ring is a breeze to pop out and it is easier to just take the nut off which can be used only 4 times because of the streching of the threads.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Well due to circumstances beyond my control I am going to have to delay this project until next weekend. Although with the weather today I wish I was out there right now. The weather is amazing this morning. :(

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Focus St Rear Disk Brakes ? zx5power 7 2,564 10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Last Post: euro
  Rear Drum Brakes Replacement Alec Brandon 2 1,489 09-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Last Post: mo_focus