Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
screeching/rubbing noise when releasing clutch
Lately ive noticed, more usually in the morning when the car is cold, as i start lifting my foot of the clutch, at the point where it just grabs on, it makes a light screeching/rubbing noise and then goes off once my foot is off completely. doesnt feel like my clutch plates are gone or slipping, theyre grabbing strong. Anybody know what this could be?
Throwout bearing????
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
aghh, was just hoping it wouldnt be that. i thot TOB would make noise when in neutral too. Mine only makes noise just when the clutch is starting to grab..
Let someone else chime in - you know me I'm no expert.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
anybody any clue what it could be..? TOB Sad ?
its the tires, to much torque......lol...naw....i have no idea....id have to
drive it to know....
PPSSSSSSSSSTTTTT......CHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2000 Black zx3-daily driver> Stealth bomber
custom "bigman" turbo, all Black everything, SVT blue interior,
SVT suspension, Magnaflow exhaust, AEM gauges
2000 Yellow ZX3...stock with MRBP exhaust...
1979 Mercury Capri 5.0 swap (work in progress)
2002 focus SE-wrecked/scraped/parted out RIP
1993 Vw Passat 1.9L tdi...das diesel sipper sold parted RIP
1993 mazda B2600 4x4 POS, parted, rusted to pieces
1990 Toyota 4runner 4x4 mud beast
(10-22-2011, 09:48 PM)buzz2.0 Wrote: its the tires, to much torque......lol...naw....i have no idea....id have to
drive it to know....
^ hahahah!! Nah...cant be tires...these hoosier drag slicks dont chirp even Tongue

nxt time we meet i'll show you the sound.

if it tob, might as well get a new clutch... you need to take the whole thing apart to get to it anyway
(10-22-2011, 11:34 PM)patrick23 Wrote: if it tob, might as well get a new clutch... you need to take the whole thing apart to get to it anyway

True. How bad is it to drive with bad TOB?

it's either a throw out bearing, or..........
you picked up a squirrel from the cruise!!
(10-20-2011, 10:04 AM)arpaul15 Wrote: Lately ive noticed, more usually in the morning when the car is cold, as i start lifting my foot of the clutch, at the point where it just grabs on, it makes a light screeching/rubbing noise and then goes off once my foot is off completely. doesnt feel like my clutch plates are gone or slipping, theyre grabbing strong. Anybody know what this could be?

Based on this description it sounds like a problem that happens just at the point where the friction material engages the flywheel - so think in terms of worn, contaminated or glazed clutch disc ... I've even heard of worn motor mounts causing unnatural noise from the clutch, but I have no idea how that might work.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(10-23-2011, 02:56 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(10-20-2011, 10:04 AM)arpaul15 Wrote: Lately ive noticed, more usually in the morning when the car is cold, as i start lifting my foot of the clutch, at the point where it just grabs on, it makes a light screeching/rubbing noise and then goes off once my foot is off completely. doesnt feel like my clutch plates are gone or slipping, theyre grabbing strong. Anybody know what this could be?

Based on this description it sounds like a problem that happens just at the point where the friction material engages the flywheel - so think in terms of worn, contaminated or glazed clutch disc ... I've even heard of worn motor mounts causing unnatural noise from the clutch, but I have no idea how that might work.
Hmm...thnx ken. It didnt even make any noise today the whole day and ytday, maybe once. Im gonna have to ask my mechanic to look at it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird Noise When Clutch Is Engaged ZX5chica 10 4,288 06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Flofocus
  Screeching Noise Melanie_L 32 10,191 07-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Last Post: Melanie_L
  Slight Rubbing Noise Raine 3 1,667 05-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Last Post: microbunny