Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eibach Sway Bar Installation Hitting Issues
Ok I just installed my eibach sway bar set front and rear with new end links in front now under hard left hand cornering the exhaust is hitting enouh to dent the heat sheild under the car, with the car in the air the muffler has .5"-3/4" of clearance I cannot physically make it hit were its hitting? My only idea is maybe the motor mounts are flexing under the hard cornering causing the muffler to hit? I checked everything twice now and everthing is were is supposed to be,It also does this coming into my driveway? Any ideas has anyone had this issue before?
Thanks
edit the muffler is under the vehicle not at the rear
lintlars,Aug 24 2008, 05:04 AM Wrote:Ok I just installed my eibach sway bar set front and rear with new end links in front now under hard left hand cornering the exhaust is hitting enouh to dent the heat sheild under the car, with the car in the air the muffler has .5"-3/4" of clearance I cannot physically make it hit were its hitting? My only idea is maybe the motor mounts are flexing under the hard cornering causing the muffler to hit? I checked everything twice now and everthing is were is supposed to be,It also does this coming into my driveway? Any ideas has anyone had this issue before?
Thanks
[right][snapback]270987[/snapback][/right]
I remember reading a post somewhere (sorry, don't remember exactly) but someone said that the front swaybar install required the loosening of the exhaust to allow the subframe to drop and when it was reinstalled it was put back moved slightly forward which caused it to hit the car ... might have been Anton (paulicat)
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Aug 24 2008, 12:33 PM Wrote:
lintlars,Aug 24 2008, 05:04 AM Wrote:Ok I just installed my eibach sway bar set front and rear with new end links in front now under hard left hand cornering the exhaust is hitting enouh to dent the heat sheild under the car, with the car in the air the muffler has .5"-3/4" of clearance I cannot physically make it hit were its hitting? My only idea is maybe the motor mounts are flexing under the hard cornering causing the muffler to hit? I checked everything twice now and everthing is were is supposed to be,It also does this coming into my driveway? Any ideas has anyone had this issue before?
Thanks
I remember reading a post somewhere (sorry, don't remember exactly) but someone said that the front swaybar install required the loosening of the exhaust to allow the subframe to drop and when it was reinstalled it was put back moved slightly forward which caused it to hit the car ... might have been Anton (paulicat)
[right][snapback]270997[/snapback][/right]

Yea that was me.
In fact, I'm getting a mechanic to look at it today. I thought initially it was rubbing against the floorboards, but after this mornings drive to drop the car off I'm fairly sure its hitting somewhere in the engine compartment. Also, after some quick searching at FF.com I found a thread about the same issue (exhaust rubs against eibach swaybar after swaybar install, sorry can't find thread second time 'round).
I'll update you once the mechanic sees where the rubbings happening.
Procharger: Removed, and waiting for new host.
Future: Genesis Coupe 2.0t.
paulicat,Aug 25 2008, 09:49 AM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Aug 24 2008, 12:33 PM Wrote:
Thanks
[right][snapback]270997[/snapback][/right]

Yea that was me.
In fact, I'm getting a mechanic to look at it today. I thought initially it was rubbing against the floorboards, but after this mornings drive to drop the car off I'm fairly sure its hitting somewhere in the engine compartment. Also, after some quick searching at FF.com I found a thread about the same issue (exhaust rubs against eibach swaybar after swaybar install, sorry can't find thread second time 'round).
I'll update you once the mechanic sees where the rubbings happening.
[right][snapback]271045[/snapback][/right]

Ya mines not rubbing the sway bars it does not even come close my guess is the motor mounts are old and weak 250Kms causing the motor to flex and causing the exhaust to hit.
My mechanic only found an area where the heatshield was hitting the exhaust, sadly though, I'm still getting the same noise.
I don't think its hitting the swaybar on mine either.
Mine only has 94000k on it so I don't think its the motor mounts.
I'm going to have to go over everything with a fine tooth comb...
paulicat,Aug 26 2008, 06:54 AM Wrote:My mechanic only found an area where the heatshield was hitting the exhaust, sadly though, I'm still getting the same noise.
I don't think its hitting the swaybar on mine either.
Mine only has 94000k on it so I don't think its the motor mounts.
I'm going to have to go over everything with a fine tooth comb...
[right][snapback]271062[/snapback][/right]

Yes mine is in the exact same spot under the rear area I have new motor mounts coming (VF) Im 99% sure thats the problem.
lintlars,Aug 27 2008, 03:13 AM Wrote:Yes mine is in the exact same spot under the rear area I have new motor mounts coming (VF) Im 99% sure thats the problem.
[right][snapback]271118[/snapback][/right]

That would be interesting, I just received the urethane replacement bushings for the lower motor/tranny mount. I had ordered them because of the fact that I'm going F.I soon and knew the stock mount would flex horribly. The timing would be weird since we both had the swaybars replaced, and soon after have this knocking sound...
I'm replacing mine this weekend, but please update this thread if you get yours done before then.
I'll update as soon as mine are in.
paulicat,Aug 27 2008, 07:34 AM Wrote:
lintlars,Aug 27 2008, 03:13 AM Wrote:Yes mine is in the exact same spot under the rear area I have new motor mounts coming (VF) Im 99% sure thats the problem.
[right][snapback]271118[/snapback][/right]

That would be interesting, I just received the urethane replacement bushings for the lower motor/tranny mount. I had ordered them because of the fact that I'm going F.I soon and knew the stock mount would flex horribly. The timing would be weird since we both had the swaybars replaced, and soon after have this knocking sound...
I'm replacing mine this weekend, but please update this thread if you get yours done before then.
I'll update as soon as mine are in.
[right][snapback]271132[/snapback][/right]
I already have the bottom dogbone poly insert the twisting would come from the top mounts mine are ordered Ill post my results when they come.
Oh, thats interesting, I was under the impression most of the twisting reduction comes from the bottom dogbone mount because of its positioning behind the engine, and being connected to the subframe...
paulicat,Aug 28 2008, 06:11 AM Wrote:Oh, thats interesting, I was under the impression most of the twisting reduction comes from the bottom dogbone mount because of its positioning behind the engine, and being connected to the subframe...
[right][snapback]271190[/snapback][/right]

The dog bone stops the rocking of the engine before the insert on hard shifts I would get a loud thump, the side mounts stop the twisting I hope my mounts will be in next week Im very interested in the results, I had my mounts off I did the window glue trick on the tranny mount but its still got to much flex for the abuse I put it through (autocross evey week)
Oh ok, I never would've expected that kind of movement, but I dont do autoX (yet).
Keep us posted!
I just replaced my torque mount bushings, all my vibration/rattling noises are gone...
paulicat,Sep 4 2008, 11:58 AM Wrote:I just replaced my torque mount bushings, all my vibration/rattling noises are gone...
[right][snapback]271645[/snapback][/right]
good to hear!
Did you get your replacement bushings yet??
paulicat,Sep 10 2008, 06:23 AM Wrote:Did you get your replacement bushings yet??
[right][snapback]272083[/snapback][/right]

Still waiting as soon as I get info Ill be sure to post my results
lintlars,Sep 13 2008, 03:26 AM Wrote:
paulicat,Sep 10 2008, 06:23 AM Wrote:Did you get your replacement bushings yet??

[right][snapback]272329[/snapback][/right]

Just got my motor mounts finally after threatening Massive Speed Systems with paypal buyer protection I ordered these on August 24th and just recieved them today I will never do business with them again very poor communication I emailed once after a month no response emailed again a week later then threatened with the whole Paypal protection I then got a phone call almost two months after ordering I missed the call but I still have not got an explanation why it took so long! now just have to make the time to install I will post what I find soon. End rant
lintlars,Oct 25 2008, 08:30 AM Wrote:
lintlars,Sep 13 2008, 03:26 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]272329[/snapback][/right]

Just got my motor mounts finally after threatening Massive Speed Systems with paypal buyer protection I ordered these on August 24th and just recieved them today I will never do business with them again very poor communication I emailed once after a month no response emailed again a week later then threatened with the whole Paypal protection I then got a phone call almost two months after ordering I missed the call but I still have not got an explanation why it took so long! now just have to make the time to install I will post what I find soon. End rant
[right][snapback]275246[/snapback][/right]

Massive fail FTL
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Ok I finally got around to the install the quality is top notch on these units! Worth every penny!! ALOT more vibration now and my problem never went away I removed my rear eibach sway bar and the problem went away I found the rear coil spring was twisiting inside of its mount on the top of the subframe causing the sound I was hearing now I have to find out where its twisting due to the heavy sway bar I left the front in since it was such a PITA to install Im not about to remove it.