Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Clutch Needed?
Ok, so my friend was stupied enough to buy a Hyundai Elentra.
It was bought new a few years ago and now has 110,000 KM.
Now my friend is telling me his clutch is shot and needs replacing.

I've never driven a car with a bad clutch, what are the symptons.
What does it feel like? Drive Like?

I can't believe that a car this young could need a new clutch.

Cheers
Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
best way to explain it ...

so you put in in first try driving like normal the engine revs but the car dosent accelerate as fast as it should be :S

i dunno if this helped at alll

i found a better explination of it

Slippage:

The classic clutch symptom is slippage. Engine revolutions are not fully transferred to the transmission. Power is not fully transmitted to the drive wheels. The engine seems to race but the vehicle does not keep up! Slippage is most often caused by a worn clutch disc. Or, the clutch pressure plate may be weakened by heat, age, or abuse. In either case, it means the vehicle needs a new clutch. Replacing just one clutch part is not good practice. Automotive repair professionals will not attempt such partial repairs. Worn or damaged clutches must be replaced.

Less common causes of slippage include: massive amounts of oil on the clutch (usually causes chatter, not slippage, see below), a broken disc or pressure plate, a release cable binding, or transmission damage. Obviously, an oil-soaked or broken clutch requires replacement. But, even when the problem is external, replacing a slipping clutch may be warranted. Slippage causes almost instant damage to the clutch. Heat produced by the slippage quickly damages friction material, contact surfaces, and springs.

2003 Zx3 French Blue
the easiest way to tell is drive on the highway in 5th and then when the motor is at peak torque mash the gas and see what happens.. for example in my subaru i drive at 5th gear at like 3500rpm and then i mash the gas to get a bunch of boost. with a slipping clutch you would see the revs go up but the car would not move forward. when the clutch is starting to go bad, its not that noticeable.. the revs just go up a bit and then go back down and the car accelerates forward like normal.

this is pretty much the clutch giving you a heads up to buy clutch parts and drive to your favorite shop.. you don't want to keep driving or least you get to a point where the clutch will go completely and you need to tow the car to a shop. also, you can usually resurface a flywheel but if you wait too long there will be metal on metal contact and the flywheel will be toast

btw.. what year elantra is it? if its an older one i always keep my mouth shut until i see the motor.. i have seen a few elantra with 4G63 motor swap.. they are sick
yeah i wish my clutch did that, instead it desided to snap a clutch spring and not want to go into gear unless the car was off. if you shut it off and put it in gear then started it agaim the car moved forward witht he brake on the floor, and wouldn't come out of gear.

what a fun day that was.