Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Bay Dress Up
I want to dress up my engine bay and I want to paint my calipers and drums red. My question is that will caliper paint work on plastic such as the battery cover?
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
SmokeBCBuDZ,Mar 30 2007, 01:47 PM Wrote:I want to dress up my engine bay and I want to paint my calipers and drums red. My question is that will caliper paint work on plastic such as the battery cover?
[right][snapback]232534[/snapback][/right]

It will, but it'll look like crap, fall off, and you'll be wasting a whole bunch of time.

For painting plastics etc, use a vinyl dye.., you can get a really good selection of paints for plastic at hobby shops, they'll also be able to tell you what you need.

You'll want to scuff the surface, prime it, and paint it.. As well as a clear coat or something else to protect the paint, if you want it to last that is.

[Image: rivalphotographygf0.jpg]
SmokeBCBuDZ,Mar 30 2007, 01:47 PM Wrote:I want to dress up my engine bay and I want to paint my calipers and drums red. My question is that will caliper paint work on plastic such as the battery cover?
[right][snapback]232534[/snapback][/right]

i used a dupli-color heat resist paint... scuff it up, prime it, paint it, and use the dupli-color clearcoat...thats the spray can method or u can go to a paint place like cross canada and pick up some paint..thats wut i did for the interior.
Hmmm ok things to think about. I am trying to keep everything the same shade of red but I guess that is going to be hard to do.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
If your worried about all the red not being the same shade, you shouldnt worry at all. Buy all of the paint for the stuff under the hood at one time, then it should all be part of the same paint batch. For example, if you get the paint mixed at a paint shop for the stuff under your hood, it should work for the calipers as well. Just use clearcoat, if you are patient and layer the paint/clearcoat correctly the results will pay off big time. Not only will you have a wicked custom look, you wont have to re-paint them for a long time.....
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
The best way to dress up your engine bay is to keep it clean. You get a whole lot of respect. More people are impressed with my clean engine than the guy who's painted the s*** out his.
Ask anyone who's seen my car.

Trust me.

Pianted engines look like s***.
ANTHONYD,Mar 31 2007, 12:03 PM Wrote:The best way to dress up your engine bay is to keep it clean. You get a whole lot of respect. More people are impressed with my clean engine than the guy who's painted the s*** out his.
Ask anyone who's seen my car.

Trust me.

Pianted engines look like s***.
[right][snapback]232620[/snapback][/right]

Consider yourself told.... :lol:
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Sorry.

I didn't mean for it to come out as if Meford4u typed it :lol:

It's nothing more than my opinion.

Take it or leave it.
ANTHONYD,Mar 31 2007, 04:32 PM Wrote:Sorry.

I didn't mean for it to come out as if Meford4u typed it :lol:

It's nothing more than my opinion.

Take it or leave it.
[right][snapback]232635[/snapback][/right]
HEY!!!!

I am back you know.

Offence taken!
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Lol..

Seriously, if you want the paint to actually stick to the plastic you're painting on, don't use caliper paint/high heat engine enamel. It'll look like ball sack.
[Image: rivalphotographygf0.jpg]