Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Exhaust Or Full System
I am thinking modifying the exhaust system. But I heard if just change the exhaust without the new header and flex pipe. All you get is just louder sound.

In order to gain HP, you need to change header and flex pipe too.

Right?
A full cat-back exhaust will get you a few extra ponies. Adding a header and a high-flow cat will get you a few more ponies and an invite to the local cop shop's Christmas party in thanks for all the extra revenue you'll generate. :P

Adding a loud muffler will get you points off your license and will help lower your bank account balance, but no extra power will be found.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Just4Derek,Oct 10 2006, 10:29 AM Wrote:I am thinking modifying the exhaust system. But I heard if just change the exhaust without the new header and flex pipe. All you get is just louder sound.

In order to gain HP, you need to change header and flex pipe too.

Right?
[right][snapback]210866[/snapback][/right]

You'll gain more ponies with a cat back. You'll gain even more if you open the rest of the system to match your cat back system.

But Like NOS said, and really with any car going for power the Naturally Aspirated way, you get more noise.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 10 2006, 10:33 AM Wrote:invite to the local cop shop's Christmas party in thanks for all the extra revenue you'll generate. :P

Adding a loud muffler will get you points off your license and will help lower your bank account balance, but no extra power will be found.
[right][snapback]210870[/snapback][/right]

objection!!!! :P

ive been driving around with a full race header and flex with a catback with no cat for 8 months. It is extremely loud and i have never had a problem. as long as you arent redlining it while next to a cop you wont have any problems with tickets.

i do suggest you add a cat though, it gets kinda scary when you are drviing past and MTO car.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Oct 10 2006, 09:39 AM Wrote:objection!!!! :P

ive been driving around with a full race header and flex with a catback with no cat for 8 months.  It is extremely loud and i have never had a problem. as long as you arent redlining it while next to a cop you wont have any problems with tickets. 

i do suggest you add a cat though, it gets kinda scary when you are drviing past and MTO car.
[right][snapback]210874[/snapback][/right]

zx5focused, i really like the setup you did to your car, my car is a 02 zx5 too, but an auto with green color : (. on an auto, i can't put much pressure; green, not good color for a tuned car, lol

so for the current stage, just minor mod. i am thinking getting a mac short ram intake and MBRP exhaust. how much HP can i gain? 6hp? and how loud is it? i don't wanna my car to be very loud ^^

if i repaint the whole car to black or carbon grey, i might low the car and change to a 17 rim ^^

Mac intake and MBRP exhaust will give you a few hp more. Not sure if it'll be 6 could be a few less, but you'll definately notice a difference. You'll definately hear a difference, gives the focus a more aggressive sounds. Its really nice.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

yea difference u'd feel....more noise as well.....but then u'll get addicted to modding your car and def will put header and different flex on :D
its all gonna start from on thing

for the best results from bolt ons it goes Air intake, bigger throttle body(65mm),skip inside the engine, header, wider flex, catback

p.s. try finding deals on other sites....it will save u lots of money

i payed only $100 for my MBRP catback
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust system for 2007 ST Gravter 22 11,923 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Last Post: MuskokaZX3
  Full; Exhuast System drunkinmonkey 11 2,941 03-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Last Post: drunkinmonkey
  Stock Exhaust System Size ThraxXx 25 6,752 01-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Last Post: ThraxXx