Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sway Bars...
So now that I have had on my suspension for quite a while and finally am making some money again, I'm looking at getting some new sway bars for the car.

For suspension wise, I have the SVT Dampers paired with the Eibach Pro Springs. I was looking at the Eibach sway bar set that comes with the 22mm Front and 25mm Rear sway bars.

My goals are to have the car grip around the corner and be pretty tight. I dont really know too too much about over/understeer so I was lookin for some advice and/or what setups you guys have ran/running.

Thanks in advance

'01 Black Focus ZX3
Custom FI Built 2.2L Zetec // CM Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel // X3 Tune FSWERKS// Ford SVT Brake Kit F&R// KW Springs // KYB AGX Shocks // 22 & 25mm Eibach Sway Set // 2000 Ported IM // FC TB // SVT Header // 3" Custom Header-back Exhaust //many more mods to come...
shadowzx3,Oct 1 2009, 01:57 PM Wrote:So now that I have had on my suspension for quite a while and finally am making some money again, I'm looking at getting some new sway bars for the car.

For suspension wise, I have the SVT Dampers paired with the Eibach Pro Springs. I was looking at the Eibach sway bar set that comes with the 22mm Front and 25mm Rear sway bars.

My goals are to have the car grip around the corner and be pretty tight. I dont really know too too much about over/understeer so I was lookin for some advice and/or what setups you guys have ran/running.

Thanks in advance
[right][snapback]295239[/snapback][/right]
I have those Eibach sway bars installed on my car , 22mm front and 25mm rear . They make a big diference in handling by not allowing the car to lean so much when cornering . The rear is really easy to install , but the front can get more of a pain . But it's doable with the right tools , knowledge and patience . If you do it at a shop , it's simple , just have the money ready . Just one recommendation : reinforce the rear control arms . They can break at the holes where the end links tie into them when using bigger sway bars .
really eh? thanks for the heads up on that one, ill be sure to look into it as well before i decide what im getting.

what setups are the rest of you running?
'01 Black Focus ZX3
Custom FI Built 2.2L Zetec // CM Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel // X3 Tune FSWERKS// Ford SVT Brake Kit F&R// KW Springs // KYB AGX Shocks // 22 & 25mm Eibach Sway Set // 2000 Ported IM // FC TB // SVT Header // 3" Custom Header-back Exhaust //many more mods to come...
Gabriel,Oct 1 2009, 03:01 PM Wrote:
shadowzx3,Oct 1 2009, 01:57 PM Wrote:So now that I have had on my suspension for quite a while and finally am making some money again, I'm looking at getting some new sway bars for the car.

Thanks in advance
[right][snapback]295239[/snapback][/right]
I have those Eibach sway bars installed on my car , 22mm front and 25mm rear . They make a big diference in handling by not allowing the car to lean so much when cornering . The rear is really easy to install , but the front can get more of a pain . But it's doable with the right tools , knowledge and patience . If you do it at a shop , it's simple , just have the money ready . Just one recommendation : reinforce the rear control arms . They can break at the holes where the end links tie into them when using bigger sway bars .
[right][snapback]295247[/snapback][/right]

I had the same on my 07 wagon - 22 front 25 rear - every thing I read said you have to drop the front subframe to re and re the front bar but my mechanic figured out a way to get the job done with the subframe in place.

In combo with good tires and the pro-kit, these two bars transformed the wagon's handling into close to awesome - and not just on the street - on the track too compared to a lot of really decent cars.

I had no trouble with the rear control arms (different on wagon anyway) but I think I read that Ford beefed them up in '03 IIRC ... in any event, when I changed the bars I upgraded the links with aftermarket ones.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
shadowzx3,Oct 4 2009, 04:24 AM Wrote:really eh? thanks for the heads up on that one, ill be sure to look into it as well before i decide what im getting.

[right][snapback]295421[/snapback][/right]
i did see pics of the LCA torn right off where it was mounted, the SVT fofo's came with reinforced ones....basically a metal plate welded on the other side, i might do it if i decide to get a bigger sway bar eventually. some guys reccommend you do it on an older car since the metal will be weaker, something to think about

im running stock front, steeda (21mm) rear + the front/rear strut/stress bars. for the spring im gonna get the FRPP kit, 1.5'' drop all the way around. but even right now my car handles amazing.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Spinal,Oct 4 2009, 12:39 PM Wrote:
shadowzx3,Oct 4 2009, 04:24 AM Wrote:really eh? thanks for the heads up on that one, ill be sure to look into it as well before i decide what im getting.

[right][snapback]295421[/snapback][/right]
i did see pics of the LCA torn right off where it was mounted, the SVT fofo's came with reinforced ones....basically a metal plate welded on the other side, i might do it if i decide to get a bigger sway bar eventually. some guys reccommend you do it on an older car since the metal will be weaker, something to think about

im running stock front, steeda (21mm) rear + the front/rear strut/stress bars. for the spring im gonna get the FRPP kit, 1.5'' drop all the way around. but even right now my car handles amazing.
[right][snapback]295429[/snapback][/right]
Mine is a 2003 and didn't have any reinforcement . The ones beefed up from the factory have a small plate on top , but not sure if it makes a big difference . I spoke with some engineers and all have agreed that lateral reinforcement also would be a good idea .
Gabriel,Oct 4 2009, 07:04 PM Wrote:Mine is a 2003 and didn't have any reinforcement[right][snapback]295451[/snapback][/right]
is it a bigger control arm altogeather? i remember honhon on FF mentioning that.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
from what i have read, if you are running a large RSB, 25mm and up, you should either reinforce the control arm, but only if you do not have really stiff springs. when you have softer springs like eibachs thats when you will see an issue. now i have had a steeda rear bar (28.6mm) for 6 months or more now, and i have seen no issues with it and the control arm, i went with stock end links tho so that way it doesnt put as much stress on the contrl arm being such a big bar. i wouldnt imagine you would experience much issue with a 25
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
GFXjamie,Oct 5 2009, 09:51 AM Wrote:from what i have read, if you are running a large RSB, 25mm and up, you should either reinforce the control arm, but only if you do not have really stiff springs. when you have softer springs like eibachs thats when you will see an issue. now i have had a steeda rear bar (28.6mm) for 6 months or more now, and i have seen no issues with it and the control arm, i went with stock end links tho so that way it doesnt put as much stress on the contrl arm being such a big bar. i wouldnt imagine you would experience much issue with a 25
[right][snapback]295468[/snapback][/right]
It's not a rule that it will break . It also depends on the driving style . The stiffer the springs the better , because the bar has to work less . In my case , I have stock dampers and Evotion springs that are a bit lower and stiffer so pretty soft suspension altogether. I just think better safe than sorry . After this happens , you wish you would have done it .

[Image: DSC00761.jpg]
Why would someone install bigger bars and use stock end links to reduce the bars effect ? My rear Eibach sway came with end link with much harder bushings .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is sway bars needed??? wilky1989 4 2,399 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Last Post: wilky1989