Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion On Dampeners - Not Lowering Car
Hi everyone, I'm a new focus owner with a 2001 wagon SE, 5 spd. Love the car, but having some issues with rear bump-steer. Mostly due to the nature of the passive steering, but figured maybe some new components and a good alignment might help.

PLanning to replace the left rear upper control arm for the one that adds more camber (currently RL camber = -2.3°, RR = -1.4°)

Thinking about replacing rear bushings.

Thinking about replacing rear shocks. Current ones seem to dampen fine, but with 117 k and a bit of rust on the piston, it might be a good idea.

I do not want to lower the car. I like the clearance. But I'd like a better shock than OEM or munroe sensa-crap. I was thinking KYB-GR2s. Supposedly stiffer than stock, but still comfy. Opinions?

Also, where do you guys typically order your suspension components? Best price for KYB GR2s shocks in the GTA I found was at Knights Performace for $70 each. Tirerack in the USA will sell and ship them for $70 US for both - but not sure how much duty/etc will apply.
2001 SE Wagon, 5 spd, Black
what exactly do you mean rear bumpsteer?

It sounds like you might have worn shocks/bushings which might make the car feel 'floaty'...

If you want to decrease bump steer, usually, ensuring your bushings are in good shape would be the first order of the day. And if you're not going to lower the ride any, stiffer dampers than stock may result in more bumpsteer than less...and a decidedly unnerving ride if the dampers overpower the springs on choppy sections.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

get yourself some SVT suspension parts. Done and Done
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Apr 11 2006, 01:48 PM Wrote:get yourself some SVT suspension parts. Done and Done
[right][snapback]180476[/snapback][/right]

they don't make SVT suspension for the wagon :rolleyes:

But an Eibach pro-kit would look slick on a wagon.... springs + dampeners :D
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
I think he made it clear that he doesnt want it lowered. :P ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
darkpuppet,Apr 11 2006, 01:41 PM Wrote:what exactly do you mean rear bumpsteer?

It sounds like you might have worn shocks/bushings which might make the car feel 'floaty'...

If you want to decrease bump steer, usually, ensuring your bushings are in good shape would be the first order of the day.  And if you're not going to lower the ride any, stiffer dampers than stock may result in more bumpsteer than less...and a decidedly unnerving ride if the dampers overpower the springs on choppy sections.
[right][snapback]180473[/snapback][/right]

Sorry for the brief description. By bumpsteer I mean that hitting certain bumps, especially recessed manholes and expansion joints, tends to make the back end "side step", like it jumps to the side a wee bit and then hops back to correct itself. I've researched this a fair bit, and have found a number of other people with the same issue, more so for wagon owners. This effect gets worse with speed, and results in sometimes a feeling of control loss, or in the case of a wavy highway (say, like the 401 east of Scarborough), the undulattions tend to cause the car to wander. Perfectly smooth highway makes for good driving, but the effect also seems to make the car very sensitive to cross-winds (constant corrections). I should add that it carves through corners quite nicely!

Seems the reason is the passive steer system, causing the rear tire hit to toe in for a moment before pulling straight again. I suspect a combination of excess rear negative camber, aging bushings, and the need for realignment to be aggravating an otherwise barely noticeable phenomenon.

I will be getting rear camber adjustment bolts/control arms - the problem with excessive rear camber on early foci was noted by ford in a TSB, but since the warranty has expired so has my opportunity. I was also thinking while down there changing arms and bolts that require unconnecting the rear shocks, I might also change the shocks themselves (and bushings). They seem to dampen just fine, but at 5 years of age they are probably a bit worn out.

So I was thinking GR2s. Generally considered a premium OEM replacement from my understanding. I was wondering if anyone here could vouch for them on a focus. Also, if anyone here knew where to get them reasonably priced in the GTA. So far $70 each is the best I can find, still a tad high for what they are I think. Especially when they can be bought for nearly half the price in the USA (taking exchange into consideration)!

I would consider replacing the springs with upgraded ones if they maintained the stock height. But I just bought the car and don't want to sink too much into it yet!

Thanks all!
I have 2 brand new Eibach pro damper wagon rear shocks for sale... PM me if you interested!
JMS US spec front lip, Rieger R-RX side skirts, Rieger R-RX rear apron, European rear bumper, European tail lights, RPMlabs grill, Painted side mirrors cover, H4 HID kit, Lamin-X yellow fogs, shorty antenna, Loder1899 replica rear spoiler, weathertech window delfector, Injen short ram air box, FC UDP pulley, FC 65mm TB, Focussport race header, Focussport flex, magnaflow hi-flow cat, MBRP catback, SCT Xcal2, ford racing spark plug wire, Tein S-tech, FK Damper kit, Eibach rear camber kit, Focussport strut bar, Painted valve cover, TeamDynamic pro race 1.2 17", Kumho SPT 205/45/17, Hawk HP, brembo blank rotors, Russell SS brakelines, Motul dot 5.1, Recaro replica seats on Recaro seat base, KKM shift surround, In-dash 7" DVD player, Tein Damper-chi doll!!
Cheffy,Apr 11 2006, 05:51 PM Wrote:So I was thinking GR2s.  Generally considered a premium OEM replacement from my understanding.  I was wondering if anyone here could vouch for them on a focus.  Also, if anyone here knew where to get them reasonably priced in the GTA.  So far $70 each is the best I can find, still a tad high for what they are I think.  Especially when they can be bought for nearly half the price in the USA (taking exchange into consideration)!

[right][snapback]180537[/snapback][/right]

I have KYB GR2's and find them quite a good ride even with the drastic drop of the eibach sportlines. The best price i found was actually at Candaian Tire! can't remember the price but i know i only paid $330 for 2xstruts 2xshocks and eibach rear camber bolts. :D
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
I know that you said you didn't want to lower the car, BUT when I had my wagon, I loved the Eibach Pro System that I installed. It wasn't a harsh ride (like when you see Honda's with cut springs bouncing down the road) but it really did improve the handling of the car, and the looks (1" drop does wonders) It makes the wagon look just right in my opinion.

It was some what stiffer, but I wouldn't say you "felt every bump in the road" as some guys do when they lower their cars (usually to much of a drop). Put it this way, the wagon was my wife's toy and she never complained about the ride. I don't know if you guys know about the condition of Michigans Roads (I live in Windsor & she shops alot over the border) but it never bothered her.

I just happen to have this kit sitting in my garage as I traded in the wagon last week...

PM me if your interested..

I hope you find what your looking for.

Keep the Wagon Tradition Going!!

~ Clutch

~ DECEASED ~
The Z-ed Sled ('03 ZTW)
-Eibech Pro Kit
-17" SVT Euro's
-Tip & Tint for show
-nothing for go...yet!
SL8RZZX3,Apr 11 2006, 06:53 PM Wrote:I have KYB GR2's and find them quite a good ride even with the drastic drop of the eibach sportlines. The best price i found was actually at Candaian Tire! can't remember the price but i know i only paid $330 for 2xstruts 2xshocks and eibach rear camber bolts. :D
[right][snapback]180586[/snapback][/right]

Crappy tire, eh? Hmm... I thought they only dealt with munroe. I'll have to check with them. They also have camber bolts too? Damn, I'm missing out. I'll have to ask them more specfic questions. Too often they seem rather clueless (mostly just the weekend/evening teenagers).
Cheffy,Apr 11 2006, 08:02 PM Wrote:
SL8RZZX3,Apr 11 2006, 06:53 PM Wrote:I have KYB GR2's and find them quite a good ride even with the drastic drop of the eibach sportlines. The best price i found was actually at Candaian Tire! can't remember the price but i know i only paid $330 for 2xstruts 2xshocks and eibach rear camber bolts. :D
[right][snapback]180586[/snapback][/right]

Crappy tire, eh? Hmm... I thought they only dealt with munroe. I'll have to check with them. They also have camber bolts too? Damn, I'm missing out. I'll have to ask them more specfic questions. Too often they seem rather clueless (mostly just the weekend/evening teenagers).
[right][snapback]180611[/snapback][/right]

yeah do your homework on kyb's website so you know you are getting the right parts and then you have to hit up Crappy tires parts department and they can bring up what you need on their computers, if not make them call in the parts to the warehouse over the phone.

And yeah crappy tire deals with Keystone and can have most items next day, only if you can find an assoiate who can work the Com--pu--ter (some times you have to say it real slow for them!)

Good Luck! (i was lucky i have 6 stores within 20 mins of each other LOL)
2002 pitch black ZX3

Classic Painting
http://www.driverfx.com is the site to use when ordering performance parts through canadian tire
Below Average Car Club
[monty burns voice]Excellent...[/monty burns voice]
you might want to talk to P-51 about getting a set of his shims for the rear shocks.

They are made to fill the air gap on the upper mounting poriton of the rear shocks, and well help with that swaying your speaking of

Below Average Car Club
schade,Apr 11 2006, 11:22 PM Wrote:you might want to talk to P-51 about getting a set of his shims for the rear shocks.

They are made to fill the air gap on the upper mounting poriton of the rear shocks, and well help with that swaying your speaking of
[right][snapback]180642[/snapback][/right]

Thanks! I'll look into it.
The dampners from the SHM suspension package are very nice. Yeah the ride is taut (like a euro ford), but never choppy or harsh. They are very comfy with smaller rims like 15's, and add some nice handling characteristics.

Good luck with your search, and welcome aboard! :hi:
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
umm, if your camber settings are at lr = -2.3°, RR = -1.4° you have a problem with a worn out/bent/broken suspension part. if i was to guess it almost sounds like a bent upper control blade. have you seen the new SPC adjustable rear control blades...
http://forums.focaljet.com/new-products-de...rol-blades.html

I would suggest taking the car to a good alignment shop and finding out what is the actual problem before just buying parts hoping to fix the problem.
If i had to guess it almost sounds like somebody backed into your lr rim in a parking lot and drove away with no damage to be seen.

if you are going to upgrade the rear, i'd suggest the Eibachs over the KYB's.
the SPC rear control blades and Urathane bushings all around for less compliance and more responce. upgrading to a SVT rear bar may also be a nice upgrade...