Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Won't Start
My car sometimes won't start in nutral...but will in first gear. Im thinking it's my spark plugs that are not firing enough...

What do you guys think?
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
focusonthis_88,May 3 2006, 12:23 PM Wrote:My car sometimes won't start in nutral...but will in first gear.  Im thinking it's my spark plugs that are not firing enough...

What do you guys think?
[right][snapback]185032[/snapback][/right]

That sounds like the neutral safety interlock in the transmission is botched.

NefCanuck
focusonthis_88,May 3 2006, 05:23 PM Wrote:My car sometimes won't start in nutral...but will in first gear.  Im thinking it's my spark plugs that are not firing enough...

What do you guys think?
[right][snapback]185032[/snapback][/right]

I am not a mechanic but I don't think what you said makes sense? There should be no relation to the gear and spark plugs.... but I could be wrong here. Are you pushing the clutch in all the way?? Did it do this before your turbo?
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass is right, it has nothing to do with your spark plugs.

Other than that, I really dont know why it would do this. Like nass asked, was it doing it before the turbo and clutch went in?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,May 3 2006, 02:17 PM Wrote:nass is right, it has nothing to do with your spark plugs.

Other than that, I really dont know why it would do this.  Like nass asked, was it doing it before the turbo and clutch went in?
[right][snapback]185039[/snapback][/right]

It did it to me last friday...but it's was the spark plug that where not firing right. What Nefcanuck said make sense.
focusonthis_88,May 3 2006, 01:08 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,May 3 2006, 02:17 PM Wrote:nass is right, it has nothing to do with your spark plugs.

Other than that, I really dont know why it would do this.  Like nass asked, was it doing it before the turbo and clutch went in?
[right][snapback]185039[/snapback][/right]

It did it to me last friday...but it's was the spark plug that where not firing right. What Nefcanuck said make sense.
[right][snapback]185064[/snapback][/right]
Your gear selection does not alter the spark. Your spark may misfire, but that's different. Prolly your neutral lockout. Nef's prolly right, or damn close atleast.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
My car does not start in neutral either (if I don't have the clutch in :lol: )
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.

Yes what Nef said makes sense, but that has nothing to do with spark :P
Flofocus,May 3 2006, 03:20 PM Wrote:Yes what Nef said makes sense, but that has nothing to do with spark  :P
[right][snapback]185069[/snapback][/right]

ok, so let's drop out the spark idea...What's else could it be? What Nef said?
5spd's dont' have neutral saftey switches ... there only found on autotragic's

I'd say check your clutch switch, make sure its making contact everytime .. it could just be a fluke thing that it sometimes doesn't fire in neutral
Below Average Car Club
schade,May 3 2006, 04:49 PM Wrote:5spd's dont' have neutral saftey switches ... there only found on autotragic's

I'd say check your clutch switch, make sure its making contact everytime .. it could just be a fluke thing that it sometimes doesn't fire in neutral
[right][snapback]185092[/snapback][/right]

You mean you could potentially start the car while its in gear with the clutch pedal depressed? :blink: That makes no sense from a safety angle.

The autotragic has a two stage safety system (Both the shifter & brake pedal interlock)

NefCanuck
how does that make no sense? ... the clutch pedal is your safety ..
Below Average Car Club
NefCanuck,May 3 2006, 11:11 PM Wrote:
schade,May 3 2006, 04:49 PM Wrote:5spd's dont' have neutral saftey switches ... there only found on autotragic's

[right][snapback]185092[/snapback][/right]

You mean you could potentially start the car while its in gear with the clutch pedal depressed? :blink: That makes no sense from a safety angle.

The autotragic has a two stage safety system (Both the shifter & brake pedal interlock)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]185111[/snapback][/right]

If you didn't press the clutch pedal down and it's in gear you'd be moving while cranking the engine. It only makes sense to HAVE to press the pedal in or on the other hand have it in neutral at least with the saftey on the brake pedal.

I bet Eric just has a floor mat that has shifted up slightly and is now sorta behind the pedal making it hard to press the pedal all the way down. It's happened to me once or twice.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
i don't believe he stated if the car won't turn over at all .. or if it cranks but just won't start .. 2 totally different problems with different causes/fixes
Below Average Car Club
schade,May 4 2006, 03:44 PM Wrote:i don't believe he stated if the car won't turn over at all .. or if it cranks but just won't start .. 2 totally different problems with different causes/fixes
[right][snapback]185352[/snapback][/right]

True dat! :o

Eric, is it turning at all?

EDIT: Call me, I wanna go for a "spin" tonight ;)
Flofocus,May 4 2006, 07:45 PM Wrote:True dat! :o

Eric, is it turning at all?

EDIT: Call me, I wanna go for some "spool" tonight  ;)
[right][snapback]185353[/snapback][/right]

fixt
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check