Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Toshiba Laptop
I've got a Toshiba Satellite A70-TS1 and the power button broke a few days ago lol... it's stuck in and as of today, it won't turn off or on now.

Anyone know much about laptops and know a possible quick fix? I'm pretty pissed at this point...
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
hmm, ill be honest with you, its fixable, its not the easiest thing to fix... taking the damn thing appart is not easy on toshibas, but its fixable ya. can someone like me do it? probaly... do i have the time or patience to try it? not really, but I might know this chineese repair guy who would love to do it, he also loves being paid cash under the table.
My other ride is your Mom
Thank you. Toshiba has limited dealers too... Burlington unfortunatly is the closest, three in Burlington to be exact. But the main charge is 50 bucks, then if they can disgnose a repair, that charge is put towards the overall fee.

So where is this repair guy you know?
'14 Escape 2.0t
markham
My other ride is your Mom
I could quick fix it but it may not be pretty.
Two words, BIG HAMMER
laidman,Feb 27 2006, 10:30 AM Wrote:Two words, BIG HAMMER
[right][snapback]172381[/snapback][/right]

Considering what I paid for it, a big hammer would make it worse considering the cost of comparable replacements in the same price range.
'14 Escape 2.0t
Laptops aren't the easiest thing to take apart. If you want it to still look "mint", bring it to a pro.

I've taken apart a few laptops and some are easy (Compaq), others are hell in a plastic box (Dell aka Hell).
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Is the pwr. bttn being held down by the case around it or did it just go stariaght down and not come back up? If the first is the case...you can take a small standard (flat head) screwdriver... (when I say small I mean one that you would use on reading glasses.) and where the bttn. is stuck under put the driver head in and gently pry the bttn. back out. If it is the second one that means there is either an forgein substance (ie: pop or sugar based) on the key and it s holding it down or there is a small piece of F-O (forgein object) holding it down. If that is so you will have to get someone who knows how to repair it to do so.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
If you have a can of compressed air with a straw, put a (one) drop of rubbing alcohol down the hole, let it soak for about 20 secs, then give the hole a puff of air, see if it pops out. DO NOT completely cover the hole with the straw; you;'re trying to pop it out, not drive it in. ;) But ya, there's 3 depots in Burlington; if you bought it at a Futureshop, the FS on Plains Rd does repairs, I used to take my old Toshiba there before the warranty ran out.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Yeah, i'm out of my warranty though.

And the button was stuck in, how I don't know. It's held by two points, or four. One side was broken and the button pushed down, the other was sort of holding it up, and the button wedged in and prevented it's actuation.

But... tonight I googled disassembling a Toshiba laptop, and came out with some pretty awesome results that lead to me fixing the lappy myself. Not entirely as the power button is still half broken... but without much pressure on the current side that's holding, it'll hold the button high enough so it can still be pushed down to work properly.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Tosh...75/satA75_1.htm

Next step is to actually fix the button, i'll wait till this problem happens again :lol: Thanks for the replies though!
'14 Escape 2.0t
Hammer or not it will let all the anger you have built up. I know destruction always helps me feel better. COMMON just try it once...

LOL
laidman,Feb 28 2006, 12:23 AM Wrote:Hammer or not it will let all the anger you have built up.  I know destruction always helps me feel better.  COMMON just try it once...

LOL
[right][snapback]172544[/snapback][/right]

Anger might be partly why the damn laptop broke in the first place. But regardless, the button didn't have that much stress... but at the same time, I realize I could have used a little more caution.
'14 Escape 2.0t