Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets Play Photo Diagnosis V1.0
So I've been losing coolant for a while now. I had the upper and lower rad hoses replaced as they were "leaking". Today I noticed a puddle where I parked coming back from lunch. Did someone ask for pictures?

[Image: IMG_6867.jpg]

T-stat housing looking through the headers.

[Image: IMG_6861.jpg]

Up close of housing

[Image: IMG_6866.jpg]

I guess I should have replaced the gasket when I painted the valve cover
[Image: IMG_6869.jpg]

That looks like a lot of oil down there.

[Image: IMG_6870.jpg]

Here too...

[Image: IMG_6868.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6865.jpg]

radio active green

Ok my question is. Would a leaky valve cover leak that much oil? I checked and the level has gone done ever so slightly. It's getting swapped out tomorrow so that's not the issue just making sure it could be something else.

Thanks
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Why did you replace the valve cover it looks stock??? And if you did replace it and reuse the gasket then YES it could leak that much oil.

As for the tstat housing I think its common on the zetec, don't know if its cracked of its just the gasket. Mine does that too but not as bad.
No that's the stock cover, I just painted it on a nice day.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
The valve cover gasket on my car was replaced. (IIRC the part is about $40)

It started out as a burning oil smell especially sitting at idle after driving for a while. I believe it is a common problem. I remember a few people on here had theirs replaced in the last year. You can see signs of it in many engines pictures posted here.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
valve covers can leak an ungodly amount of oil.
make sure you do not over tighten the valve cover bolts or it will leak again.

my suggestion, find one of those U-wash places that has a high pressure washing gun. get a can of "engine degreaser" and spray down the engine while at the wash place, spray down EVERYTHING under the hood including the underside of the hood. let sit for 5-10min. then wash off with the high pressure gun. this will remove all the oil and coolant sitting on/staining the motor before you fix the t-stat housing and valve cover gasket. and once fixed will also show if there are any other leaks and it will be easier to pinpoint them.
good idea.. I'll try that this week it's getting repaired in the morning.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
ZX3TUNING,Feb 1 2006, 08:52 PM Wrote:valve covers can leak an ungodly amount of oil.
make sure you do not over tighten the valve cover bolts or it will leak again.

my suggestion, find one of those U-wash places that has a high pressure washing gun. get a can of "engine degreaser" and spray down the engine while at the wash place, spray down EVERYTHING under the hood including the underside of the hood. let sit for 5-10min. then wash off with the high pressure gun.  this will remove all the oil and coolant sitting on/staining the motor before you fix the t-stat housing and valve cover gasket. and once fixed will also show if there are any other leaks and it will be easier to pinpoint them.
[right][snapback]168068[/snapback][/right]

Funny you should mention that, Mitch, as its against the law here in the GVRD to do so! Not like the gas station attendants actually WATCH the cameras that they have in the carwashes....
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
Here theres actually a setting at most places that has an engine degreasing spray specifically for engine detailing.

Funny how provinces differ :P
hardk0re,Feb 2 2006, 09:49 AM Wrote:Here theres actually a setting at most places that has an engine degreasing spray specifically for engine detailing. 

[right][snapback]168099[/snapback][/right]

Especially our anal etest BS province. :angry:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
hardk0re,Feb 2 2006, 08:49 AM Wrote:Here theres actually a setting at most places that has an engine degreasing spray specifically for engine detailing. 

[right][snapback]168099[/snapback][/right]

Have you actually used one of those? I looked at the warnings in the Focus manual, the amount of pressure coming out of that "engine degreasing" setting and thought to myself that it seemed too risky a stunt to try <_<

My portable steam machine seems safer, hassle there is I need a place with an outdoor electrical outlet in order to use it :(

NefCanuck
wasn't it zoom's car? that cought fire cuz there was enough oil leaking from the valve cover onto his headers

replace the gasket everytime you've got the valve cover off, unless you can find on of those nice reuseable cork gaskets

... just avoid blasting the major electronic components with the pressure washer and you'll be just fine .. maybe even cover up the coil and the fuse boxes with plastic bags, to be safe
Below Average Car Club
Time for a new car.

Thsi time, not a ford. :P
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Ok here's the update. I just needed the housing replaced. They told me there is 2 parts to it the actual housing and the "sleeve" that the hose clamps onto. I only needed the housing and I got that installed for $85 out the door. Not too bad.

As for the powerwashing I would only be hitting the front of the engine, but if you spray that degreaser on and then let sit for a few mins all you really need is regular hose pressure to wash it off I don't think 1500psi is needed hehe
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check