Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference Between A Chip And Xcal 1/2
Ok I think I am not fully understanding something here I might be slightly retarded.

ok I might pick up a SCT multi program chip. I was under the impression that it was an Xcal1 but I was told it wasn't. Now my question to everyone here is what is the diff. between a diablo/SCT chip and the Xcal 1 and 2.

I know the Xcal2 can read your CEL codes and flash your ecu, right?

thanks.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
The Basics:

SCT Chip: Programmable, you need to remove your computer sand down contacts to install it, theres many how to's. You need to physically remove the chip to reprogram it, and removing the chip returns you to stock.

XCAL1: Programmable, you need to plug into the OBDII connector and "upload" your tune to your ecu. You can get email updates for tunes from tuners (for small changes), you don't need to remove your computer, etc. You can modify your tune slightly via sct software (ie rev limiters, etc)

XCAL2: Same as XCAL1 + ability to scan codes, scan ODBII parameters. You can also do some mild modifications via the hand held tuner if your dealer has unlocked that for you.

If its a blue SCT chip or a Diablo chip i'd stay away from it because it has little to no support for tunes, etc.
Xcal2 is the way to go. Sell you mine for $400 in the origional box and in mint shape.
what a lot of people seem to forget about these options...

with the chip, it stores 3 files plus stock and you can switch between other tunes at any time even when driving.

with the flashers you can have upto 3 files on the flasher and one stock file that gets uploaded to the flasher from YOUR ecu once a tune is uploaded from the flasher to your ECU.
you cannot change tunes on the fly and it can take upto 4mins to upload/download tunes.

my opinion, flashers are great if are constantly upgrading or are doing remote tuning and need the email-update function.

i think the chip is better for actual use. once you get your tuning sorted and you do not have plans to upgrade anymore, get the files burnt to a chip so you can flip between them. this is ideal for high/low boost or NA/Nitrous or premium/race gas settings.

i HATE flashing tunes onto customer cars.
The X-Cal 2 pays for itself as a code reader methinks, never mind as a continual retuner. Dropped into Kev's place when I grabbed some more goodies earlier on in the month, found two CEL codes it had thrown and what they were.

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
cool thanks guys that cleared things up better for me.

So if I get an Xcal2 it has to be flashed to the right ECU right and will only work on that ECU code. So in theory I could flash other's cars with that code and do you need the same code ( if applicable ) to scan CEL codes? and one last Q. WIth either the xcal1 and 2 you flash it and the tune stays on your ECU until you reset the ECU? or will it be perm. burned into it??
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
I agree with mitch about the chip, BUT I had a flip chip before and didn't really use it much. The up side is yes the multiple tunes that you can switch on the fly.

When you use your XCAL1/XCAL2 the xcal downloads your stock(factory) and stores it. I believe it also records the VIN of your vehicle. From that point on you can't flash any other car but yours. You can reflash your car with the factory tune thats stored on your xcalibrator. The XCAL then unlocks its self so it can be re-used on another car. BUT a tuner needs to do the final unlock so it can program another car other than yours.

Most guys say they can't do anything until the previous guy flashes the factory tune back on his car, I guess for security the xcal doesn't make it easy for people to loose their stock tunes.
hardk0re,Jan 25 2006, 09:23 AM Wrote:Most guys say they can't do anything until the previous guy flashes the factory tune back on his car, I guess for security the xcal doesn't make it easy for people to loose their stock tunes.
[right][snapback]166947[/snapback][/right]

I just found out that is exactly correct :censored2: !!!! Only SCT can wipe the factory tune off the Xcals.