Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help Applying Tint
Not to my windows, those were done 2 yrs ago by a shop, but to my tail lights. How do you apply tint? I know the surface has to be UBER clean and free of any contaminants so I'll be using rubbing alcohol to get them clean first... but what's next? How does a plastic film with no sticky surface stick to a light and not peel off at 140 km/h? I've seen it done so I know it works. Is there a special glue that you need to use? Or is that already built into the tint? Need your advice please! :D Thanks
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
ok, well raine, with tint, don't quote me on this, but i think it's the soapy water that allows it to stick, what you do is spray the surface, then apply the film. After that, you must try and push all the liquids out using something solid, a credit card usually does that trick, after that you should be good, or cut the shape you need, then redo all over again.. I'm not a pro, and haven't done this, but i did watch the guy do my windows, and thats how he did it
Yeah I remember the soapy water bit now that you mention it. Will a credit card work or will that be too stiff?? The guy who did mine used what I can only describe as being like a putty knife, but it looked like soft rubber? So I guess the tint has some kinda built in adhesive then...
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
If you have tint for windows then it has a clear backing on it. You must peel off the backing to expose the sticky side. Soak the sticky side with the soapy solution to prevent everything from sticking to itself. Also make sure the thing your sticking the tint to is also sprayed. Don't use too much soap in the water either. it just needs to be a little soapy. A credit card may be too harsh to put the tint on with. It will scratch it. Try using a semi hard glazing putty applicator (the black squre rubber ones). Good luck.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
Awesome Steve, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot. I'll maybe get this done today or tomorrow :D
2000 Black ZX3
make sure you post up pics when ur done, i wanna check this out
your problem is the fact the lights are not flat like the windows, so you have to use something soft or ruberry to apply it. Like Steve said use putty applicator,

BTW this post has nothing to do with your other WTB tail lights, does it :) or did u alreay screw the lights?
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

LOL no, the WTB was for another project. My stock tail lights are mint as they've had light covers on them for almost 2.5 yrs. I just wanna make them more streamlined with the car instead of having that big bulky plastic on them
2000 Black ZX3
Usually in the tinting section of CanTire or Walmart they'll sell accessories like the mini squeegees to pull the water out of it.

The soapy water is just to lubricate the surface so you can move the tint around to have it in the right place. When you pull the water out from under it, then the adhesive will bond to the surface. Just make sure your squeegee isnt too hard (like a plastic credit card) or it might leave crease marks on the tint.
I worked at aplace that did tinting several years ago. The guy there had templates for everything he worked on. Also I heard J&J baby shampoo was the way to go for the wetting agent.
^^ J & J shampoo??? well i guess you can wash yer hair after yer done your tinting job....and just think...no more tears either
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector