Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St170 Headlight Gremlin Surfacing...
A buddy of mine told me last night that when I was driving behind him, my drivers side lowbeam kept flickering dim/on/off, making it look like I was flashing my brights or something at him. I thought that perhaps he was just seeing the cutoff angles of my headlights when my car went over bumps and cracks, etc. Figured that because the car is taught, and the weather was cold, that it was just my car being choppy on rough pavement behind him. So, I looked at the seating of the lightbulbs, and the security of the lamp assembly to the car itself. All fine. This morning I went out for some driving to get some stuff done, and to see how my new tires were...when I noticed the reflection of my lights in a vehicle's paint that was in front of me...it was flickering on the low beam on the left side, just like my buddy said. I waited until I saw this on about 3 different vehicles, then I pulled over to investigate. Nothing viseably wrong with anything.

So, I figure that maybe one of the joints in the wiring I did for the low beam is coming apart/loose...I didn't use solder, I used B-Connectors and heat shrink over my connections, figuring that this would hold up well enough. Yeah I know that this was the "ghetto" and quick way to install the lights, but when I did this, I was getting frustrated with the configuration of the turn indicator wiring and it was starting to get dark...lol. I am getting a shop to re-wire my lights next wkd using solder...

Thing is, if that doesn't fix the problem, what should I be looking at next? Maybe the oval VW connector to see if any of it is loose? I think I do have a bad connection because I only see the flicker when I am driving, and it doesn't do it when parked at a storefront...

Any Ideas?
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
with the car on and lights on, wiggle each wire at the VW connector. low beam is Pin# 2 just so you know.

being just an issue with the low beams it is probably unlikely that you have a ground issue. but to check that out, drive behiind your buddy with your high beams on and see if the problem is there aswell... if it is you probably have a ground fault.

more likely than not, one of your butt-connectors is not a solid connection and that is your problem.