Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-flow Catalytic's
Alright, i'm going to be hunting for a highflow cat to weld in after my flexpipe. Are all catalytics say from magnaflow "high flow" catalytics? Should I watch out for some?

I noticed that some state they come with AIR system and some don't..

WTF is AIR system?

You might want to check into RT cats. There one of the better ones. Give Mitch a call I think he can get them.
we've got the RT cat for the Focus. With the larger flex pipe and the rt cat, I can't officially tell you there was an improvement, but the big ass in the seat of my pants says yes.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I'm really looking for a universal catalytic, right now i'm running race headers with no catalytic and its a little LOUD, I was told adding a catalytic would quiet it down a little....

But I just don't know what catalytic to buy :blink:
Mitch brought this up in another thread recently, but I can't find it. I have heard through the boy that Magnaflow makes a good resonator that you can just drop in if all you want to do is reduce noise. They work pretty well as I have heard the difference of before and after on one of the mechanics at his work with a Chikenfire.

I think there under $100 too.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
i'm running the Magnaflow polished Stainless cat just after my flex. i'm sure any of the locla guys (where is bryn?) can inform you of the sounds and loudness of it with my big magnaflow res and muffler.

http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/mirror.aspx

i'm running the 2.5" "54306" cat which fits perfectly in the tunnel just after the flex in the first section of the exhaust!
the 94306 is what i was running before but it was a very tight fit and would bang around in the tunnel on hard shifts or vibrate against the heat shielding in the tunnel under heavy load.

you should be able to take that part number into any good parts shop that carried Maganflow and they will probably have it in stock. if not there are about 50 of them out here at Lordco. cost on them is about $120cnd plus GST, shipping from me to out east is probably like $25cnd...
the air type systems inject air into the catalytic converter for better emissions... I think volkswagens use that kind of system.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I've got a MBRP 2 1/4 " exhaust, so I need a 2 1/2" catalytic right?

The model I could find on the magnaflow site was 53006, maybe they changed models recently or i'm looking at old data....

dark,
you are correct on how the system works but older GMs and Fords use the air system on larger engine'd cars, pretty common. although i do not recall ever seeing a VW with an air system....? for the air system to work there needs to be an air pump which 99/100 are belt driven units off the front of the engine.

Kevin,
if you have 2.25" piping you want a 2.25" cat.... magnaflow pt# for you would be: 54305 for the mirror polish high flow. all of the other cats they have do not flow aswell as the mirror polished high flow units. that is the exact same cat i am using only mine is 2.5".

good luck!
I gotta figure out what type of High Flow cat im going to throw in my car.
2000 ZX3 White
Magnaflow Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Ford Racing Headers, ORP, H&R Cup Kit, ST170 headlights, JMS Lip Kit,98-01 Euro front bumper, Shorty antenna, 17" Falken Circuit spec rims with 21540ZR17 Falken Fk-451 rubber, Brembo Rotors and Hks pads
i couldn't remember exactly which cars used airpumps... thanks for the clarification.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

rx7s i thought used air pumps

getting a highflow cat won't make it quieter.. i tried a catco with a fs 4-1 and aem exhaust.. no go.. only thing that would make it quiet was ditching the race header

edit.. whatever you do, don't toss your stock cat.. i'm still not convinced some of these highflow units would pass visual inspection or sniffer without some 'help'.. but i could be wrong..
naz,Jul 2 2005, 01:12 AM Wrote:rx7s i thought used air pumps

getting a highflow cat won't make it quieter.. i tried a catco with a fs 4-1 and aem exhaust.. no go.. only thing that would make it quiet was ditching the race header

edit.. whatever you do, don't toss your stock cat.. i'm still not convinced some of these highflow units would pass visual inspection or sniffer without some 'help'.. but i could be wrong..
[right][snapback]118881[/snapback][/right]

Tempo's have the air pump better known as a the thermeactor pump
My Mom Says I'm Special

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stainless svt high flow cat zx3wantobesvt 9 3,922 03-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Last Post: drunkinmonkey
  High Flow Cat Canadian ST 0 1,137 09-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Canadian ST
  Help High Flow Cat Question 05blackzx5 1 1,328 10-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Last Post: kamilk69
  Adding High Flow Cat bigman 10 5,000 04-02-2006, 03:54 AM