Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring My El Strips Up
I need to know where I can ground out under the dash... I've got my add-a-circuit adapter for the power for both strips of EL lighting, wired my switch inline with the power feed. Now I just need to be able to ground out somewhere safe.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT - whoops, thought I was in the Appearance sub-forum. Can a mod shove this over for me? D'oh!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I grounded out my cathodes on a screw that is located near the middle of on dasn near the shifter. Let me see if I can get you a visual.
Cool, thanks man!

And thanks to whoever moved me! ;)

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
It's a screw that's screwed into part of a metal frame underneath the plastic moldings right here:

[Image: 1.jpg]
My EL runs off the interior lamp, which is controlled by the dimmer. So wherever that circuit grounds is where my is.
Really I'm no help.
j3rt - how the heck did you do that? Got any pics?

Oh, and Malby, thanks for the pic man. Supernewb question - how hard is it to get that cover off the end of the console?

what do you want pics of? I don't have any of the wiring. Basically, I popped the map light thingy out. Removed the buld, and made leads off each side of the switch. Wired those into the inverters, and voila, controlled by the dimmer or light switch.
When I need to read something or check my Tim cup for a winner, I turn the map light on.

Perhaps if I'm feeling generous on the weekend, I'll open up the light and take a pic.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 22 2005, 05:29 PM Wrote:j3rt - how the heck did you do that? Got any pics?

Oh, and Malby, thanks for the pic man. Supernewb question - how hard is it to get that cover off the end of the console?
[right][snapback]95713[/snapback][/right]

To take that center console off there are two phillips screws under the cup holders. (one screw under each cup holder). Also there are three 10mm hex head nuts under the rear cup holder part. To take the plastic cup holder part out just pull on the wall that separates the square cup holder from the round cup holder. Then you just pull the console up and it should come off enough for you to reach that screw.
Thanks guys!