Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Led A/c Tube Lighting
i found these blue LED's last week, decided to buy them (money was burning a hole in my pocket) then i found that i can put them in my A/C tubes, i looked into it, and found a bunch of info reports like the ones from focushack to topics on focus fanatics forums, but i still haven't found one that tells me how to wire it (i'm kinda stupid with wiring :unsure: )but yea, is there any way that someone can give me like a detailed reply on how to wire this? i'm hoping that i can wire it to the fuse box, but it seems a little difficult
What kind of wiring does it come with? If they are supposed to be for automotive use, there should be a 12V power wire and a ground wire (and possible wiring for a switch). You can wire anything 12V into the fuse box, and ground it to one of the screws around the fuse box.

You just need to find a fuse for something that will come on when you want it.. like if you wire it to the headlight fuse, they'll turn on when you turn the headlights on, etc.
I really should have done a how to on this. I took the time to re-do my entire set, even did the foil tape and shiit this time around so it reflects more and such.

Two wires I will assume. Black one is ground, red is power. interupt it with a switch so you can turn it on and off with ease.

You are gonna have to drill a hole into each vent. But what leds do you have? Did you go to a computer store or ebay and just buy plain leds? Cause if you wanna use em for automotive purposes they are going to need resistors on em so you dun blow em up.
Run your car, not your mouth
i got the hyper LED's from my local speed and custom shop. It has the black ground and the red power wire. I have everything i need (switch, auto 2 leed wiring and the lights, but i'm just lost on the wiring it to the fuse box, like which fuse do i use? and do i remove the fuse box completely? or can i do it without taking it out? sorry for all the questions, i'm a little uneducated when it comes to wiring
You can go to walmart/cantire in the electrical section where the auto fuses are.. they should have a product called "Add-a-circuit".. it has a blade connector that goes into your fusebox, a slot for the stock fuse to go, and a slot where the added circuit will go. It'll have a red wire coming off of that part, where you connect your power wire to, and insert another fuse for that.

It's the easiest/cleanest way to piggyback the 12V power in your fusebox. You can do it the cheap way (by stripping some wire away and pushing that down underneath the fuse) but that's messy and potentially dangerous. Then there are a couple screws you can attach your ground wire to, just to the side of the fusebox.
^^ I've got that 10 feet of EL for the interior, thanks Steve for that insight :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
thanks guys, i'm gonna go check that out tommoro hopefully if time permits..and i'll let you know how it goes
ok, more questions...i went and checked it out 2night, but i wasn't sure so i didn't buy it :unsure: , i just had one question for you..the one that i seen (not sure if there's more) but the one i seen can only handle a 10amp fuse, is that big enough? cuase i seen in a couple other forums that people are using 20 amp fuses and 15 amp fuses..so i figured i'd ask before i spend 20$ more on this
10A is more than enough for some simple LEDs I would think (dont quote me on that but I dont think you'd need to go higher than that.. that may even be too high).

The Add-a-circuit thing I got at CanTire actually included a variety of different fuses, so you can use whichever one you need. I think it was something like $12.99.
I know the Cold Cathods I'm using are 5mA which is 0.005 amps so any fuse will work.
Your draw on a tube of LEDs, even after resistors (which really don't draw anything extra).... maybe .25 amps on a 12V rail (on a bad day, and counting like 20 LEDs used at once). I mod computers constantly, and when using purely LEDs... I have yet to see a system fade under use because of LEDs. They're just too damn power efficient.

Basically, the use of power in amps from least to most would be LED --> EL --> Cold Cathode --> Neon.

Same thing holds true for cars as it does for computers, as they have a common denominator (12V power sources or available 12V power on one of the rails of the Power Supply Unit).

Check this out: http://www.thevospad.com/home.htm
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.