Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexpipe
Okay I know I've been a posting whore, but I'm just finding more more stuff I wanna do/learn with my car.

So I was under my car doin an oil change, when I notice my Flexpiping was really narrow. I THOUGHT I had 2.5" Engine back, but apparentaly I still have the stock Flexpipe. I guess that's what I get when I get my old man to do my modding :angry:

So as of now, I have the headman shorty header, highflow cat, stock flexpipe, midpipe, muffler, and dual tips

Is there a lot of restriction with my setup (with the stock flexpipe).? So if I swap my flexpipe with 2.5" of tubing, my car will be FASTER!?

PLEASE tell me it will!
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Custom Dual Exhaust (Engine Back - 2.5"Wink
Diablo Chip (re-programmed)
APC Brake Lights are off, back to stock
OEM Aftermarket Zenon Headlights
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Front and Rear Camber Kit
17" American Racing XComp Rims
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
Steeda Shift knob and accsessories switches
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake
Progress Competition 22mm Swaybar

http://www.pbase.com/myfordfocus2/inbox
The flexpipe is the last bottleneck in your exhaust system, many folks buy the other system parts and forego a flexpipe. It has been dyno proven that replacing a stock flexpipe in an otherwise complete, full length exhaust setup is worth a few whp and wtq.

Some of the major companies that offer this are....

Bosal, Focussport, Focus Central, Trubendz.....

The Bosal flexpipe is stainless steel, while the focus central and focussport are not, though the focussport piece is ceramic coated, all of these are 2.25”. Trubendz is the only company currently making 2.5” flexpipes, trubendz also makes their flexpipes aluminized and stainless steel.
The amount of power realized by replacing the stock flexpipe will vary depending on the level of modification. If you have not fully reworked your engine it's probably only worth a couple of horsepower, depending on the dyno and roll time used. Seat-of-the-pants dyno is my perferred system, and I doubt you'd notice the difference unless you were at the track. For the cost involved you are better off saving your dimes for an engine biuld (NA, Turbo, SC) and worring about the flex later. Personally, I'd rather make my own. The ones out there use the same routing as the stock one, which seems to be more of a restricting factor than the diameter of the pipe itself. With some header wrap on the pipe and some heat deflection on the steering rack it is possible to signifantly reduce the amount of bend in the pipe, thereby drastically rducing backpressure. Using a slip jointed flexpipe instead of the shitty corrugated ones that are out there would be worth it as well.

but that's me...
Good points Gumby. Honestly for the price of a flex, just buy one. It's not like you are going to have to sell a 'kidney' to buy it. Like I said before in some other threads, do it right, don't cheap out. That's just me.....

Putting cash into NA is a great idea for sure but with her 'mod' list already, she is looking at big bucks for more NA stuff, alot more then a flex would cost.
Change it... its a cheap mod..
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
tdot-zx3,Sep 17 2004, 12:17 PM Wrote:Change it... its a cheap mod..
Basically what I was saying.......
since u got everything done to your exhaust except the flex pipe.. go ahead and change it, you will notice some difference, plus.. like dan said.. is cheap.

i'd go for bosal if i were u since i'm using one :D
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3
I think Flo and I are looking at buying the trubenz flex pipe in the near future. If you want to get in and save a little on the shipping, they are $155 US for the stainless and I think $105 for the aluminzed steel.
But we are trying to work something out with Mitch at ZX3 to see if he can get cheaper for us.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
actually, FocusCentral Flex pipes ARE Stainless Steel.

gains from a cat are subjective but once the exhaust on the car is complete, you will see larger gains from all additional mods after that.

right now, Trubendz is being a little slow on getting back to me about the flex pipes....
Focus Central, didn't know that, they much have changed that recently or in the past little while since I last checked. Thanks for the update on that....

I'm not a fan of Trubendz at all. Not sure really why but anyway.....
mysterygirl,Sep 17 2004, 03:42 PM Wrote:So as of now, I have the headman shorty header, highflow cat, stock flexpipe, midpipe, muffler, and dual tips
its hedman* :D and yeah u sound like u have a full exhaust so may as well add a performance flex pipe to the line. Every lil bit helps.
OFFICAL FC BABYSITTER