Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Gears
Hey Guys. Before I start I'd like to mention that I tried the search button but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

My request is that you guys school me on cam gears, their purpose, their advantages/disadvantages, and which are good and which aren't! Thank you in advance!

- Mike
Just bought two sets for myself and BlackZX3 off focaljet. The guy, Walter, was selling a set of unorthodox cam gears for $170 US shipped to CAN.. Great price for these gears.

What they do is advance/ retard the timing of when your intake/exhaust valves open. In the end, with a stock Focus you should get close to a 10 hp increase.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
I dont think youd get 10hp on a bone stock focus .. no...

They are lighter then stock ..
And they are adjustable... Like meford said...

Thats about it.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
cam gears allow you to tune your your cams for optimum power out of your mods.
they are lighter and cause less drag on the motor. they will show gains anywhere from 0-15fwhp on a stock or mildly modified motor.
HOWEVER, gains are entirely dependant on your factory cam timing. some cars come right from the factory with optimised timing on the cams, others do not and can show really good gains from cam gears. this is why you will see some Zetec foci dyno at 98fwhp stock and others hit 110fwhp stock.
the better your factory timing the less of a gain you will get.

as for the gears, the best gears all have 5 adjuster bolts: FC, Kent, Esslinger... esslinger are industry standard!
gears like the AEMs which only have 3 bolts should be avoided.
don't forget you always get what you pay for.
better engingeered and produced parts are going to cost more so be weary of cheap gears on ebay and such.

oh and you can get them in cool colours to match the rest of your car!
;)