Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under Drive Pulleys & Intake
For those of you who have this mod (Pulleys)...where did you get them and where did you install them.

Are the pulleys easy to install yourself?

I hear this mod is the best "bang for your buck"?

So performance wise I have the diablo chip, dual exhaust with hi flow cat, and the shorty header. Will I feel much of an imrovement when I slap on the under drive pulleys?

ANother question since I have your attention....

Is there much performance difference btwn a COld Air Intake vs the Shorter intake?

What's next.... adjustable cams?

Your insight is much appreciated!

Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Custom Dual Exhaust (Engine Back - 2.5"Wink
Diablo Chip (re-programmed)
APC Brake Lights are off, back to stock
OEM Aftermarket Zenon Headlights
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Front and Rear Camber Kit
17" American Racing XComp Rims
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
Steeda Shift knob and accsessories switches
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake
Progress Competition 22mm Swaybar

http://www.pbase.com/myfordfocus2/inbox
I have the AFX UDP. It didnt add any power per say but it did make a difference into how the engine responded....revs faster & smoother from my ol' but dyno. I think its a great little mod. Me and my father installed it in under an hour.

I also have the Bomz CAI. Same thing...didnt add power but defenately (sp) let the eninge breathe a little better and helped with the smothness of the engine in higher RPM's....oh, and it added more noise. I think thats the biggest outcome of this mod is giving your engine a little more growl. ;) It drowns out my Borla above 6K Rpm....

Hope that helps.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
With UPD, you will see alot less performance hit when you turn your A/C on. And the rev go up a little bit quicker.

With open style intake, you have must better response in the upper rpm range(4k and up). I suggest don't use the short ram in the summer as your car will choke like crazy in the stop and go traffic because the engine bay in our car is too packed and hot.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
Well if you put on some UDP, and it reduced the A/C drain, s**t I am buying a set like now. Man the focus is bad for that, my fiancee has a cavalier and you turn the air on and almost no difference in lag.

I got a short ram (Steeda) on my car and wow, amazing difference in power plus it sounds unbelievable. I went with it cause I was worried about hydrolock and living in Canada, winters suck so I wanted to keep everything "inside" the car even though I am sacrificing power by getting that intake over a CAI. Also, I noticed on hot days, car drives like s**t, feels bogged down, assuming it's because of all the hot air under the hood. That is where a CAI has major advantages over a short ram IMO.
I got the Focus Central 2 peice pulley set from Steeda. There awsome. Me and Yanman installed them. Im sure the next install will take less then an hour nwo that we know what we are doing..
Yeah, want to do mine? :D
This is kinda off topic, but FWIW I have noticed a BIG improvement in how the car feels with the AC on after doing the "big 3" mod. There is noticeably less sluggishness, and the idle doesn't feel like it is dropping quite so low when you are coming to a stop or idling.

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
Underdrive pulley is very simple install...less than an hour for sure and if you are not doing it yourself any garage will do it, so maybe go to an independant and save some money on the install.

As for intake the short ram will pull the hot air from the engine bay into the engine which is bad because colder air is more dense there a little better in performance.

Suggestions for intakes:
Bomz(AEM clone)
ICEMAN
Volant
and AEM

What next...sure cams and gears, get them done at the same time and save.
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
I went to both Ford dealors and got a price on install for my UDP's. At first when i showed them to the guy he was like oh whats that. Then he had to go ask one of the mechanics because no one has ever put on UDPs for the Focus. They finally quoted my $180 for a 3 hour job. I saved my money and did it. Took me and yan about 2 hours to take apart becuase we had no idea what we were doing and to put everything back togther took less then 15 minutes.. We even had to do some grinding for the platic peice that surrounded the smaller crank pulley..
every UDP thread I've read notes to grind down the plastic. Make sure you do that or else that thing will eat right through your belt.
Once you take it all apart it all comes pretty easy. Even the grinding down part. Would suck if you did forget to grind that peice down :lol:
Grind yup here too :D

Thanks for the info guys. I look forward to tracking down some pulleys. Which pulleys did you guys replace, or what is recommended?

So for the price, a CAI is better to get than a short ram?
Hedman Header
Hi/Flo Cat
Custom Dual Exhaust (Engine Back - 2.5"Wink
Diablo Chip (re-programmed)
APC Brake Lights are off, back to stock
OEM Aftermarket Zenon Headlights
Wings West BodyKit
FK Automotive Suspension
Front and Rear Camber Kit
17" American Racing XComp Rims
Fuzion ZRi Summer Tires
Speedhut Indiglo Dash
Steeda Shift knob and accsessories switches
JVC Head Unit
12 Disc CD Changer
Bazooka Base Tube
Injen Cold Air Intake
Progress Competition 22mm Swaybar

http://www.pbase.com/myfordfocus2/inbox
I would get a CAI.....with this kind of humidity and the engine performance already bogging down with a CAI, I could just imagine if that thing was sucking in JUST HOT AIR. :o

I'm going to recommend the AFx UDP since I have it and have had zero problems with it. If it aint broken, why fix it? Right? :)

The AFX also comes with its own belt....dont know about the other kits though....
Well generally the UDP are all pretty good the two most used:

Esslinger (Ford Racing)
AFX

I think the debates is still going on at the Jet.
But really it is like splitting hairs.

As for intake I would just go with the Bomz for the money great system...sometimes Ebay has some good sheat. So don't bother with a shorty.

The Iceman, Volant and Aem are lots of cash for the same results as the Bomz(Aem clone)

I'm considering the same mods, pullys and air intakes. What about putting on a shorty intake with a heat sheild to avoid water and slush but leaving the stock snorkle on to draw a little cooler air to the area.
'02 Wagon
K&N Cone on Stock Tubing
Butchered Air-Box Bracket
Mothers Ulta High-Speed Wax
I got myself the Ractive shorty intake and it's good enough for me. But the weather in SK doesnt usually get excessively hot and humid, it's almost always dry and hot/cold. I kept the stock snorkle on, but the little pipe doesnt really put it near the filter..

If you're interested in a better design to get air into the stock snorkle (or the wider SVT snorkle, or even the Iceman snorkle), you should look into getting the european radiator cover. It actually joins onto the snorkle so the air coming through the grill gets put through it.. I never understood why it was there closed off between the rad cover and the hood, how it could actually do anything anyway..
As for UDP's, what's a good deal on a 2 piece kit? I know AEM and FC both have them, and I believe Unorthodox has a decent set too. What's a reasonable price for these things?
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
I'm still not sure if I should do this. I have a pretty big sound system and I think it would be too much. Last year I already went through 1 alternator, I simply don't feel like getting another one. But then again I simply go by what people tell me abou the UDP.

Do anyone here have the pulley set and run a bug system ?

If so what's the difference between having it on or off ?

Steeda,
14.5@93 (ZEX Wet 55Shot)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Under Drive Pulleys NikiterZTS 5 1,646 07-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me