Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this thing?
While doing a coolant change this week, I found a broken electrical connector. By deduction, I have identified the thing it used to be attached to, but I have no I idea what that thing is!

The car is a 2003 5-speed Zetec SE wagon. The mystery object is located below and behind the power steering pump. I have attached two photos, one shot from between the rad and the engine block (remember the 2003 Zetec had the front exhaust, rear intake set up), and the other shot upwards from under the passenger-side fender.

Can anyone help me identify this object? Thanks

Bob the Duck Canuck

Attached Files
.jpg   Fromtop-Side (Small).JPG (Size: 40.23 KB / Downloads: 38)
.jpg   FromUnderneath (Small).JPG (Size: 39 KB / Downloads: 31)
whats this about the front exhaust/rear intake set up?

Don't know the object btw, sorry.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Bob,

Going out on a limb here....
I think I see an electrical connector....
looks like it's near a coolant tube...
could it be the coolant temp. sensor to activate your elec. fan?

It's a guess only.

(09-29-2010, 07:46 AM)Mystake Wrote: whats this about the front exhaust/rear intake set up?

I was just reminding folks that Ford changed the flow direction in the cylinder heads between the early Zetec and the later motors.

On my 2003, the intake is on the firewall side. On my 2005 and 2010, the intake is on the radiator side.

I just thought that reminder might help someone to pick out this mystery part.

Bob
(09-29-2010, 07:55 AM)2009SEL Wrote: Bob,

Going out on a limb here....
I think I see an electrical connector....
looks like it's near a coolant tube...
could it be the coolant temp. sensor to activate your elec. fan?

It's a guess only.

Good guess. Looks the same to me.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

that would be the power steering pressure sensor that you are looking at Smile
(09-29-2010, 09:34 AM)xXCMGXx Wrote: that would be the power steering pressure sensor that you are looking at Smile

OK, thanks for this answer. This makes sense, given the location (although it is a heck of a thing to get a good look at).

So, am I correct that the main/only effect of the electrical connector being broken would be that the engine will not get the signal to increase the idle if I use the power steering at low speed?

Bob
(09-29-2010, 09:51 AM)duckcanuck Wrote:
(09-29-2010, 09:34 AM)xXCMGXx Wrote: that would be the power steering pressure sensor that you are looking at Smile

OK, thanks for this answer. This makes sense, given the location (although it is a heck of a thing to get a good look at).

So, am I correct that the main/only effect of the electrical connector being broken would be that the engine will not get the signal to increase the idle if I use the power steering at low speed?

Bob

exactumondo buddy.
Perfect. That is a part that I did not know existed, but thanks to your ID, I traced the line back, and now I am comfortable that I know what I am fixing.

Thanks!

Bob