Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford Reportedly Suing Enthusiast Web Site
Ford reportedly suing enthusiast web site over trademark infringements
Dec. 10.08
Source: Leftlanenews

Following up on an earlier story, a little more light has been shed on the case of TheRangerStation.com vs Ford. Apparently there was more to the story than originally met the eye, with the Ranger fan site trying to fool a fast one over on the Blue Oval.

To bring you up to speed:
Earlier today, TheRangerStation.com – a Ford Ranger fan web site – announced that it had received a letter from a law firm representing Ford asking it to give up its domain name along with any products using a registered Ford name or logo. The letter also demands $5,000 for trademark infringements and threatens a law suit of $100,000 if demands are not met.

Ford responded:
“I am certainly not pleased about this,” Scott Monty, head of Ford’s digital communications team, said. “There is nothing more important to us than our loyal fans, and the big picture seems to have escaped some people.”

However, after consulting with Ford’s legal department, Monty revealed “there may be more to the [situation] than meets the eye.” Monty didn’t go into any more detail, but it’s clear there are some underlying issues we’re not privy too.

And now:
It has been revealed that TRS was selling items on its web site, without permission, bearing the Ford and Ranger names/logos — a no-no in today’s world of corporate trademarks. The 10-year old web site must now pay Ford the royalties it is due, or face further legal action. TRS is fighting Ford over the matter, but it doesn’t sound like the site has much hope — kind of like the Ranger itself.

I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
geez....ford is desperate for money they're coming after their own loyal fans. I wonder why ford is becoming very unpopular with the people.
Be the change you want to see in this world.
Yeah, I read up on this story some more over at Escape-Central.com. It's about selling unlicensed merchandise. If Puppet was to start selling site-backed Focus merch, he'd be in a lot of trouble. Same if he had a deal to submit royalties on sales and didn't.

FocusCanada.net merchandise is one thing, Ford Focus merchandise is another. That's what's going on here.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I'm pretty sure we're safe. We're not selling anything with the ford logo or registered trademarks on it.

It's tricky, because people want to show their support, but you have to do it the right way if you're going to use their trademarks. You can use their trademarks, pay ford for the licensing and still make money.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

NOS2Go4Me,Dec 11 2008, 08:26 AM Wrote:Yeah, I read up on this story some more over at Escape-Central.com. It's about selling unlicensed merchandise. If Puppet was to start selling site-backed Focus merch, he'd be in a lot of trouble. Same if he had a deal to submit royalties on sales and didn't.

FocusCanada.net merchandise is one thing, Ford Focus merchandise is another. That's what's going on here.
[right][snapback]278036[/snapback][/right]
^^QFT - and let's be clear - Ford hasn't sued anyone - they've only sent what is basically a cease and desist letter - ie: "stop or we'll sue."

You have to put this into the perspective of the trademark environment in the USA ... there have been a number of trademark infringement rulings in the US over the past years that basically says that if a company doesn't actively protect its trademarks, it can lose them ... so in a sense a company is forced to send cease and desist letters because if they don't they may lose the trademark alltogether.

IIRC the intent was to prevent someone from simply trademarking all kinds of stuff and then sitting on them and not actually producing something ... so in a way the rulings are being perverted - because obviously Ford wouldn't be at risk of losing its trademarks due to inactivitiy -- so this probably falls into the 'better safe than sorry' category.

Bottom line: if you want to sell merchandise that has any kind of Ford logo on it, you have to pay Ford for the rights to do so ... and with all the Ford crap out there you know Ford is willing to play ball if asked.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
good explanation. Are you sure you're not a lawyer? :)
Be the change you want to see in this world.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yey! I'm On The Fast Ford Mag Site! COCHYN 19 5,292 01-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Last Post: COCHYN