Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.i.p: Chrysler Aspen & Dodge Durango
Chrysler Kills Durango and Aspen
Oct. 24, 2008
Source: Insideline

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Less than a year after unveiling the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango full-size hybrid SUVs and only two months into their full-scale production, Chrysler confirmed Thursday that it will discontinue the models with the just-announced closing of the Delaware plant where they are made.

But the company said it is moving ahead with plans to introduce a hybrid version of the full-size Dodge Ram pickup in calendar-year 2010.

"The demand for our full-size SUVs has really dropped off this year," Chrysler spokesman Scott Brown told Inside Line. "Even though we got significant orders for the hybrids, it doesn't make sense to keep the plant open for just the hybrids."

The SUVs are Chrysler's first production hybrid vehicles. The Durango and Aspen models, which employ the same two-mode hybrid system found in General Motors' full-size SUVs, are sticker priced at $45,340 and $45,570, respectively.

Chrysler wouldn't say how many of the hybrid SUVs it had planned to build at the plant in Newark, which is scheduled to close at the end of December. Both models made their international debuts at the 2007 Los Angeles Auto Show last November.

Today's announcement coincided with a report from Daimler AG, which owns a 19.9-percent share of privately held Chrysler, that the U.S. automaker suffered a $772.5-million second-quarter loss due to slowing U.S. sales and a market shift to small cars.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
It's about damn time...
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
and the walls start to fall.
won't be long before Chrysler is just a distant memory.
ANTHONYD,Oct 27 2008, 09:15 AM Wrote:and the walls  start to fall.
won't be long before Chrysler is just a distant memory.
[right][snapback]275296[/snapback][/right]

I dunno if the mercy killing of two models that sold so little is a sign that Chrysler is going down in flames yet.

Kill off the Challenger and then I'll agree that there is a good chance that things are going to hell in a handcart for them.

NefCanuck
Good riddance to oversized rubbish. I laugh every time I see one. Smaller than a Yukon or Suburban (a real 7/8-seater), larger than my Escape (good for 4-5 people and gear). Pointless.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dodge Ram 1500 Pickups And Dodge Durango Recalled Frost__2001 0 1,055 09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Feds Investigate Dodge Durango Frost__2001 0 1,120 06-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Chrysler Recalls Chrysler 300,charger, Magnum Etc. Frost__2001 6 2,867 05-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Last Post: scoobasteve