Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throttle Body, Automatic
Okay, when I bought my Focus, 2 and a half years ago, the first repair I had to do was to replace the TPS. But, because it's an automatic 2000, the TPS and the Throttle Body and the wiring harness had to be repalced. Since replacing the parts, for $350.00 or so, I had a good year and a half of peace. However, since last October, I've had the CEL come on three times, each time for the codes for the TPS. I cleaned the MAF, and the problem went away, I've cleaned the TPS contacts and the code hasn't gone away. The car is driveable, but not as smooth as before. I have a custom air intake on it, thinking of going back to either stock, or see if anyone has an SVT airbox. I've priced another Throttle Body, TPS, etc, and it's still around $350.00. Since rewiring the sensor, would purchasing a performance throttle body, and TPS, work, and save me any money, or am I stuck? Maybe someone can direct me to the right people to call about this. I can't afford $350.00 every couple of years on the same part.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
TPS's are very very sensetive, i heard alot about them how they go off on people
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
oldeguy,Jun 17 2008, 09:37 AM Wrote:Okay, when I bought my Focus, 2 and a half years ago, the first repair I had to do was to replace the TPS. But, because it's an automatic 2000, the TPS and the Throttle Body and the wiring harness  had to be repalced. Since replacing the parts, for $350.00 or so, I had a good year and a half of peace. However, since last October, I've had the CEL come on three times, each time for the codes for the TPS. I cleaned the MAF, and the problem went away, I've cleaned the TPS contacts and the code hasn't gone away. The car is driveable, but not as smooth as before. I have a custom air intake on it, thinking of going back to either stock, or see if anyone has an SVT airbox. I've priced another Throttle Body, TPS, etc, and it's still around $350.00. Since rewiring the sensor, would purchasing a performance throttle body, and TPS, work, and save me any money, or am I stuck? Maybe someone can direct me to the right people to call about this. I can't afford $350.00 every couple of years on the same part.
[right][snapback]267045[/snapback][/right]

If you have the OEM part numbers I can price out the pieces from my sources ... if you end up replacing them that is.

And sorry to hear about your troubles.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
get rid of the intake and go back to stock its an spi correct
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
ZX3_2NV,Jun 17 2008, 11:02 AM Wrote:get rid of the intake and go back to stock its an spi correct
[right][snapback]267059[/snapback][/right]
Zetec
K&N Filter.....
Get rid of Intake for sure and put the regular one on. Also make sure the harness is good.

Does your hesitation start when the weather is humid or is it everyday type of thing?
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I haven't heard of the Zetec having these problems as much as you are where did you relocate your MAF on the custom intake any pics?
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
mo_focus,Jun 17 2008, 12:16 PM Wrote:Get rid of Intake for sure and put the regular one on. Also make sure the harness is good.

Does your hesitation start when the weather is humid or is it everyday type of thing?
[right][snapback]267070[/snapback][/right]
It's usually an everyday thing. I'll check the wiring.
K&N Filter.....
ZX3_2NV,Jun 17 2008, 01:06 PM Wrote:I haven't heard of the Zetec having these problems as much as you are where did you relocate your MAF on the custom intake any pics?
[right][snapback]267078[/snapback][/right]
MAF is pretty well where it should be. I had the problem once, before the custom intake. I'm thinking of getting an SVT intake.
K&N Filter.....
i used to have an issue with my MAF it was my fault bc of lousy wiring, after a year the tape has gotten loose and couple of wires were touching and confusing the MAF.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

what is the filter? i don't have tech to back this up, but i suspect your aftermarket filter has crappy filtration, and the sensor keeps failing because it gets dirty

back to stock filter, change the sensor, leave it alone
naz,Jun 17 2008, 04:27 PM Wrote:what is the filter?  i don't have tech to back this up, but i suspect your aftermarket filter has crappy filtration, and the sensor keeps failing because it gets dirty

back to stock filter, change the sensor, leave it alone
[right][snapback]267106[/snapback][/right]
Sensor is $350.00
I'm going to go to a SVT air box and a K&N filter. Had a K&N in before, no troubles
K&N Filter.....
ZTWsquared,Jun 17 2008, 10:18 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Jun 17 2008, 09:37 AM Wrote:Okay, when I bought my Focus, 2 and a half years ago, the first repair I had to do was to replace the TPS. But, because it's an automatic 2000, the TPS and the Throttle Body and the wiring harness  had to be repalced. Since replacing the parts, for $350.00 or so, I had a good year and a half of peace. However, since last October, I've had the CEL come on three times, each time for the codes for the TPS. I cleaned the MAF, and the problem went away, I've cleaned the TPS contacts and the code hasn't gone away. The car is driveable, but not as smooth as before. I have a custom air intake on it, thinking of going back to either stock, or see if anyone has an SVT airbox. I've priced another Throttle Body, TPS, etc, and it's still around $350.00. Since rewiring the sensor, would purchasing a performance throttle body, and TPS, work, and save me any money, or am I stuck? Maybe someone can direct me to the right people to call about this. I can't afford $350.00 every couple of years on the same part.
[right][snapback]267045[/snapback][/right]

If you have the OEM part numbers I can price out the pieces from my sources ... if you end up replacing them that is.

And sorry to hear about your troubles.
[right][snapback]267052[/snapback][/right]
I'll PM you when I get the Part number, if the dealers will give it to me. I don't mind if something goes "off" every few years, I do 50K minimum a year, it's the fact that I can't just buy the sensor, I have to buy the whole Throttle body as well
K&N Filter.....
I think you want a...

MOTORCRAFT Part # DY871 {#YS4Z9B989BB}
DOHC; 988F-9B989BB

$30.79 from Rockauto.com.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
reldridge,Jun 18 2008, 02:06 PM Wrote:I think you want a...

MOTORCRAFT Part # DY871 {#YS4Z9B989BB}
DOHC; 988F-9B989BB

$30.79 from Rockauto.com.

Ryan
[right][snapback]267266[/snapback][/right]
2000 Zetec, auto tranny. Every F&^$ing time the TPS goes, you've got to replace the whole Throttle Body as well, according to Ford. I'm going to be checking NAPA and those sorts of places to see if they have two types of replacement TPS's
K&N Filter.....
As far as throttle body and TPS goes on a Zetec auto, the throttle body is the different part, not the TPS. The t-body has the provision for the auto kick-down linkage that the manual care doesn't need. The TPS is the same.

I've only seen one TPS listed online for the 2000-2004 Focus...

Ryan

P.S. Ford parts counters are in the business of making money, so they will want to sell you the complete t-body, not just the TPS. Call the dealer and ask for the TPS by part number (either Motorcraft Part # DY871 or Ford Part #YS4Z9B989BB) and see what happens.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
First time the TPS went, I got a quote from Ford, for $350.00, Throttle Body, TPs and a new wiring kit. I went to NAPA, got a TPS for $75.00, it wouldn't fit. So, I went back to ford and bought the $350.00. threw a CEL last year, had it checked, it was the TPS again. Went back to Ford, asking for a TPS only, bought one for $65.00, it didn't fit, the connectors don't fit, the TPs didn't match up to the Throttle Body. Took it back, was told again that Ford only sells the whole Throttle body, et all. So Hardkore and I did some cleaning, and the code cleared and didn't comeback until now. Did some more cleaning, over the weekend, and the car still isn't right, and the Dash has a nice orange engine lighting up my life. I'll go into my favourite Ford Parts store, ( Fraser Ford in Oshawa ) with the parts numbers you have given me to see what they say. So far, I've called three or four dealers and they are all saying the same thing. The 2000 Zetec, auto tranny, TPS is not sold separately. If I had the available cash, I'd be buying a newer Foci, preferrably a Duratec, but I don't, so I'll enjoy the one i have, with it's quirks. I appreciate your assistance, and will, as I have said, check into the part numbers you have given me.
K&N Filter.....
Let me know what happens! Good luck, and hopefully they can source it.

Has anybody else had TPS problems like this?

Has the code been read currently? Are we positive it is the TPS again, and maybe not something else? (hoping for the best here...)
++++++++++++++++++++++++
reldridge,Jun 19 2008, 11:31 AM Wrote:Let me know what happens! Good luck, and hopefully they can source it.

Has anybody else had TPS problems like this?

Has the code been read currently? Are we positive it is the TPS again, and maybe not something else? (hoping for the best here...)
[right][snapback]267359[/snapback][/right]
Read and cleared two weeks ago. Yes, the codes were for the TPS, all three of them.Am going to change air intake to an SVT with a K&N ,instead of custom one I have, first. too much dirty air in the inside of the intake.
K&N Filter.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doesn't Seem Right.... Throttle Body j3rt 10 2,701 10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Last Post: malim
  @#$%^ Throttle Body oldeguy 7 2,159 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Last Post: silvermist