Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed Etest...!
Flofocus,Apr 9 2008, 10:24 AM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Apr 9 2008, 10:18 AM Wrote:I've got a few cans of Seafoam I picked up stateside last year ... how exactly did you use it that it generated lots of smoke?

Burnin21,Apr 8 2008, 06:09 PM Wrote:Haha I just Seafoamed mine and let me tell ya, I've never seen a focus smoke like that before! :lol: Regardless that stuff works amazing, my gas milage is actually better than before and I still use my lead foot.
[right][snapback]261567[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]261597[/snapback][/right]

I did it with mu justy, just sucke din the intake, and caused a LOT of smoke. I had to stop because I was scared of really pissing off my neighboors. :blink:
[right][snapback]261598[/snapback][/right]

they do recomend not doing it in ur driveway lol

best suited for a vacant parking lot
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZTWsquared,Apr 9 2008, 10:18 AM Wrote:I've got a few cans of Seafoam I picked up stateside last year ... how exactly did you use it that it generated lots of smoke?

Burnin21,Apr 8 2008, 06:09 PM Wrote:Haha I just Seafoamed mine and let me tell ya, I've never seen a focus smoke like that before! :lol: Regardless that stuff works amazing, my gas milage is actually better than before and I still use my lead foot.
[right][snapback]261567[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]261597[/snapback][/right]
I've used it in the air intake system, had a problem with the Idle control valve, ( I think ), Started up the car and I thought I'd won a NASCAR race and was doing donuts with all the smoke! :o Idle Control has been perfect since :D I have heard that putting it in your fuel tank isn't too good of an idea, though.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
if its a MAF let me know i have a stock one kicking around
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Was at Formula Ford today and the tech said my cat was running too cold and that was causing the FAIL

and i have to thank Cory aka phased_focus for the hook up there!!

also dropped by my cousin's shop and talked to his boss and he said it is because i'm running too lean, because of my screamin' demon coil pack, live wires, TB, and maybe the O2 cheater

I'm getting closer.... but still don't know for sure what is the cause!

So i think i'm just going to install my PW s/c and then try again with the etest after it's in and go from there
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
considering that NO is created under extreme temps, I find it hard to believe that it's because your engine is running cold.

maybe the CAT is running cold.. but definitely not the engine.

The O2 cheater shouldn't cause a fail (because the second O2 sensor is just to make sure the cat is working) -- however, it would be able to tell you if your cat is actually working if you had the 2nd O2 hooked up after the cat.

so what would cause you to run lean? I doubt it's the MAF/coils/etc... since the car, when tuned properly should automatically adjust for differences in the MAF. If you log your long term trim on the MAF, and it's a big number, then it could indicate that your MAF is not tuned properly.

If those values aren't too waay off, or even if they are, your O2 sensor (the 1st one) could be worn out, throwing off your learning function and causing hte car to the run lean.

See if your car is running lean (datalog your O2 as well as a wideband). if the wideband says you're lean an the stock O2 doesn't, then it's likely O2.

If the O2's agree, check your long term trims -- likely your MAF.

if both are OK.. check your EGR

if all those are ok, then it's likely your CAT isn't reaching operating temp (as that's the last possibility).

throttlebodies/plug wires/etc won't cause your car to run lean in closed loop, which is all they test for... so it's something that measures air or a/f, or a cold/innefective CAT or EGR.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I would suggest it pass e test before u boost it
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
darkpuppet,Apr 10 2008, 09:54 AM Wrote:considering that NO is created under extreme temps, I find it hard to believe that it's because your engine is running cold.

maybe the CAT is running cold.. but definitely not the engine.

The O2 cheater shouldn't cause a fail (because the second O2 sensor is just to make sure the cat is working) -- however, it would be able to tell you if your cat is actually working if you had the 2nd O2 hooked up after the cat.

so what would cause you to run lean?  I doubt it's the MAF/coils/etc... since the car, when tuned properly should automatically adjust for differences in the MAF.  If you log your long term trim on the MAF, and it's a big number, then it could indicate that your MAF is not tuned properly.

If those values aren't too waay off, or even if they are, your O2 sensor (the 1st one) could be worn out, throwing off your learning function and causing hte car to the run lean.

See if your car is running lean (datalog your O2 as well as a wideband). if the wideband says you're lean an the stock O2 doesn't, then it's likely O2.

If the O2's agree, check your long term trims -- likely your MAF.

if both are OK.. check your EGR

if all those are ok, then it's likely your CAT isn't reaching operating temp (as that's the last possibility).

throttlebodies/plug wires/etc won't cause your car to run lean in closed loop, which is all they test for... so it's something that measures air or a/f, or a cold/innefective CAT or EGR.
[right][snapback]261672[/snapback][/right]

Ok that more or less confirms what the Ford tech said, and i was very sceptical about what my cousin's Boss had told me... and the Ford Tech did show me the operating temps, where as my cousin's boss seemed to be making guesses to what it could be..

So now the question is...... how do i get the cat to heat up?
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
Swap out your long tube race header for the stock header and cat for the test and then swap back after the test.

If you don't have the stock stuff laying around, HardkOre has my stock cat that I am sure he'll let you borrow. I can lend you my stock header.

I passed recently with my SVT header setup with RT cat in the stock SVT cat locatation just before the flex under the oil pan. I made an appointment in the middle of the day with a small shop. An hour before the appointment I took the car for a long drive to get it nice and hot and then brought it to the shop. They took me right away.

I passed.

I know that my tune is set a little rich right now and surely would have failed if I brought in my car cold. I can sniff it with my snoz when I first start up. It smells like a '60s (pre-cat) car.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
I already offered to loan him your heaer since he lives down the street from me, plus all stock stuff to bolt up. The long tube header is a BITCH to swap to the stock.
One thing maybe exhaust wrap around the exhaust + cat would heat it up enough inside.

Gord I think you and I should just bite the bullet and get the SVT headers+cat...lets do it together and save on shipping!

^^x2 on swapping....it could be a PITA
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
i think many members suggested that you just beat on the car and then take it to get tested while its hot.......

i really think you should try this, since its free and its the easiest to do (no work needed)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Failed Etest?! SL8RZZX3 18 8,466 06-19-2005, 06:13 AM
Last Post: naz