Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next... Inexpensive Step?
Well, budget limits how quickly I can do anything. But I have a K&N Typhoon intake for my 02 SVT, Some Nology wires, and thats about it. Since Im getting some neons installed hopefully soon, Id like to be able to give the car a little more guts. But not really in the market for a turbo setup yet. What kinda stuff can I get for less than $500 dollars, to make an improvement. Im kinda new to modifying, so Im not entirely sure where to go. Im looking at getting a Borla cat back system, in a months time, and a few more body mods, like a Cf Hood with Ram air, and some new rims. But none of that is really going to help hp.. any ideas? suggestions?
get an xcal 2 and get a better tune into it
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
MoebiusSVT,Apr 16 2007, 11:49 PM Wrote:Im looking at getting a Borla cat back system, in a months time, and a few more body mods, like a Cf Hood with Ram air, and some new rims.  But none of that is really going to help hp.. any ideas? suggestions?
[right][snapback]235050[/snapback][/right]
First of all - welcome to the site - you'll find that most of the questions you have will have been asked by others (the search function is your friend here) and there is a wealth of info / advice / opinion to be found - and frankly I've found many folks on here very generous with their time and good will.

If you're looking for hp I can second the X-cal2 suggestion and others will second the Borla ... and frankly I'd save the money, time and weight of the neons in favour of future FI - some might also suggest this step for reducing the possibility of being mistaken for a Honda or similar; unless of course you're going for that look.

Just my 0.02 (like I said, lots of opinion here too) - so welcome ... and cheers.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
welcome! you mentioned you are new to modifying a car.. it might help to hold off on purchasing and read up a little bit on this site and other sites.. and then maybe adding up the costs of your planned mods to see if its 'worth it' (in your opinion) to do them

there's no rush to modify, and you can definitely enjoy a SVT in stock form!

X2 xcal(tune)
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
Mbrp or BORLA.

Header.
Tune
hmmm that's all I can think of right now.
02_svt_guy,Apr 17 2007, 11:34 AM Wrote:X2 xcal(tune)
[right][snapback]235072[/snapback][/right]
K, well the neons are kinda my own taste Ill admit, but I kinda want to take a look at how they look on my car, and I cant seem to find any good pictures. Since I work in parts, it wasnt a big cost for me for those, so its not a big deal if I dont like them. So Xcal? This is a ecu chip? What kind of value is it, and where would I go to get a tune.. would it be downloadable from anywhere, or am I going to have to take the chip to a tuner?
X Cal or Predator tune I believe can be purchased with a tune installed that you flash to your ECU. Go with the catback exhaust-the stock header is the best header available for the Focus, either SVT or Zetec. As far as neon-ick!
i would open up the exhast, then i would run a 75 shot of nitrous. nitrous is one of the cheapest way to make hp. 600$ gets you 75hp instantly. and its one of the easiest mods to install. i would recomend the zzex wet nitrous kit.
[Image: forumn-stuffcopy.jpg]
1-Xcal or Predator
2-Rear engine mount
3-Short throw shifter

If you wait for deals or buy stuff used you could get all the above for under $500. And these are the top 3 mods for a stock/near stock SVTf.
kamilk69,Apr 17 2007, 09:53 AM Wrote:i would open up the exhast, then i would run a 75 shot of nitrous. nitrous is one of the cheapest way to make hp. 600$ gets you 75hp instantly. and its one of the easiest mods to install. i would recomend the zzex wet nitrous kit.
[right][snapback]235087[/snapback][/right]

That sound awesome, where did you buy yours? Who can install this?
Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
Save your money, svt exhaust is fine for N.A, when you go for real power boost is the only way B)
coolsvt,Apr 17 2007, 11:02 AM Wrote:Save your money, svt exhaust is fine for N.A, when you go for real power boost is the only way B)
[right][snapback]235096[/snapback][/right]
:D def with this guy.

The base JRSC is a great bang for your buck when it comes ot the svt. Low boost, +200whp. I'll take it.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
if your going for high hp, then yes boost it the best way no doubt. but price wise unless you do everything yourself then i would go to nitrous, 650$ and you got some decent gain. i had the zex kit i bought it of ebay and installed it my self. i could help you out if you need some help with it.

but you have to remeber never redline with nitrous. thats the only thing you have to watch out for.
[Image: forumn-stuffcopy.jpg]
kamilk69,Apr 17 2007, 01:21 PM Wrote:if your going for high hp, then yes boost it the best way no doubt. but price wise unless you do everything yourself then i would go to nitrous, 650$ and you got some decent gain. i had the zex kit i bought it of ebay and installed it my self. i could help you out if you need some help with it.

but you have to remeber never redline with nitrous. thats the only thing you have to watch out for.
[right][snapback]235131[/snapback][/right]

nitrous is to dangerous if you do not know how to use it or if a shop dioesnt know how to install it.

Save your money, find a JRSC for under $2500, run 200whp all day long.
I'd only recommend the aftermarket cat-back on the SVT if you are going to do a power-adder down the road. Otherwise, for a near-stock SVT the factory exhaust is fine. Normal Zetec drivers beat each other senseless for the SVT "maniheader" to improve their own cars.

SVTs are fun animals to do naturally aspirated, as they're so peaky already. They're definitely tricky. Powerworks makes a neat SVT package, and the aforementioned JRSC is a good option as well, especially with the big boost kit upgrade.

My money's on the X-Cal 2 at this point. SVTs clean up real nice with a good tune from an X-Cal.

Oh, and :hi:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
xcal2 will also work well with a supercharger :D

-Boost junkie
Flofocus,Apr 17 2007, 06:56 PM Wrote:xcal2 will also work well with a supercharger  :D

-Boost junkie
[right][snapback]235151[/snapback][/right]

How much does an Xcal2 cost? And is the tune straight from manufacturer? Probably something im going to have to be pretty particular about the correct one when I order? And thank you ALL for the good advice and welcomes :D this forum roxxors

Side note anyone in the GTA contact me if you ever need replacement parts Im a manager of a PartsSource :D Obviously like this Xcal or some other stuff, may take some extra time to locate, but usually speaking if I can find it, I can get it, and we can usually get a good price. Anyone who goes on this Forum can contact me, and we'll give FocusCanada.net members commercial rate :D
^^^nice hook ups!
welcome

alot of people sell used Xcalibrator2's on focusfanatics.com
but they have to be unlocked and i think their code is suppose to be the same as your car(by checkin on the side of you driver's door)

new i think they are like $400
used about $200
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Xcal2 or Predator tune would be the next step for the SVT, it makes the SVT so much better to drive than before. I purchased mine for 600 with a tune and taxes, there are better tunes than the one that comes with it.

other mods for the SVTF would be rear engine mount, short throw shifter, intake, throttle body, and high flow cat
'03 Focus SVT