Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Hd Or Not Hd
I have NO HD anything. My Receiver doesn't accomodate HDMI, but my TV does. I can't get any of the HD stuff from Cogeco in Pet, because it's not available here...the cabling in my neighbourhood won't support broadband and all that jazz.

I am rocking a 30" JVC I'Art 16:9 CRT that will do at least 720p and 1080i if I want it to. I still personally think that it has a BETTER picture than DLP, LCD and Plasma. It also cost 1/3 the price too. Only drawback is that it weighs 150+ lbs on it's own, and 200+ with it's stand. But I don't care, I'm running all I can with Monster Component Video, and Monster Digital Coax for the sound...more than satisfied with what I have (plus I invested the rest of my cash into my Marantz/Klipsch setup).

My only other drawback, is I think the amp in my sub has gone "tits-up" and I will have to take it in to EHR to get it rebuilt/refurbished, or store credited to a newer one like the RW10d...good thing Klispch has a long warranty on their stuff...

Anyways, as good as HD pictures are, there's nothing that's on TV anymore that's worth all the extra money. Digital Cable is good enough for me...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I took Steve's advice from the last wing night I went to, and got me a Toshiba 56HM195. 56" DLP in true 1080i resolution ("accepts" 1080i is bulls***, the physical resolution is all that matters)

Pretty damn good price for this thing too, $2500 for a pretty big TV.

The quality is awesome, I couldn't be happier. It's hard to compare TV's in the store, because the feeds they send are usually quite bad. But when I got this thing home, I couldn't believe it.

I'm now using a Bell Expressvu HD reciever, sending a 1080i signal via HDMI/DVI. The HD channels blow away anything I ever saw in the stores, and even the SD channels look fantastic. Again, much much better than watching SD programming on an HD TV in the stores. I don't know why all that is exactly... but whatever.

Even watching 480i signal from an old DVD player is great.

The only complaint I could have is that it doesn't have a VGA input, and there is a fair amount of colour banding. Common complaint from these sets.
paolo,Nov 17 2006, 07:40 PM Wrote:Rogers puts some HD channels on more than one channel assignment solely for the purpose of grouping channels for bundles and packages. Its not a waste of bandwith, cus theyre simply re-mapping it it doesnt take up extra space.  When you tune up and down on your tv, you will notice a Range of channels is consistant with a Group or Package that Rogers offers.
[right][snapback]216507[/snapback][/right]

Ah, that explains it :huh: just had to futz with the favourites list to get rid of all the dup HD channels I'd put in by accident. My favourites list was something insane like 57 channels before I clued into the fact that the channels were there more than once. Now its down to about 20 channels total.

Here's another question Paolo, in terms of tuning in the "regular" channels (2 - 71) I assume it doesn't matter if I use those or the channels in the 800 range right?

NefCanuck
channels in the 800 range are Analog, the Digital variants are 01-71 now. I would not waste my time tuning in to the 800's especialy if you have a High Def box, id even filter them out of your IPG if I were you with an internet Line Trap Filter that can be provided by a Rogers Cable teckie when he comes to your house, mind you, it will block any analog signals placed after the device so dont put it at the cable point of entry in your house/condo/appartment unless you dont need analog period, just put it on the wall outlet where the tv plugs into the wall.
My other ride is your Mom