Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service Re-flash For '06
Here's an article kinda related to your post....

Powertrain improvements net a 1 to 3-mpg increase for 2007 Ford Focus:

Ford Motor Company reports it has made some dramatic improvements to the 2007 Ford Focus. Powertrain engineers concentrated on the 2.0-litre inline four-cylinder, improving fuel mileage across the board.

“The Focus engine was originally calibrated for emissions,” says Nicholas Schubeck, supervisor, Powertrain Calibration for Ford Motor Company. “We noticed during testing that we could get a lot better fuel mileage by making some adjustments to the calibration while still meeting emissions.”

The team increased the engine's spark and revised the exhaust-gas recirculation and intake manifold runner control (IMRC) schedules. The IMRC is a device on the intake manifold that increases the velocity of the air going into the cylinder at low speeds. Increasing air velocity helps in the proper air-fuel ratios.

“The issue is that the system also creates a lot of pumping losses, which reduce fuel mileage,” says Schubeck. “By opening up the IMRC a lot earlier to reduce pumping losses, fuel mileage was increased.”

This change, along with tire improvements, accounted for a 3-mile-per-gallon improvement on the EPA highway fuel economy label for five-speed manual models, which now see 27 mpg in the city, 37 mpg on the highway (8.7/6.3 L/100 km). The 2.0-litre automatic delivers 27 mpg in the city, 34 mpg on the highway (8.7/6.9 L/100 km). For 2007, the base Focus models come equipped with 14-in. Hankook tires that offer better rolling resistance than the 2006 model.

Schubeck says customers will also notice an enhancement in performance. The extra engine spark improves acceleration, and the refinements to the engine have eliminated the hesitation that normally occurs when the air conditioning is in operation.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Sep 14 2006, 11:36 AM Wrote:Here's an article kinda related to your post....

[[right][snapback]207057[/snapback][/right]
Trying to read between the lines here, I don't see any reference to mechanical changes - everything they talk about could be achieved by a new ECU program --- right?

And if so ... then your dealership should be able to reflash your car to the latest program.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Sep 14 2006, 12:49 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Sep 14 2006, 11:36 AM Wrote:Here's an article kinda related to your post....

[[right][snapback]207057[/snapback][/right]
Trying to read between the lines here, I don't see any reference to mechanical changes - everything they talk about could be achieved by a new ECU program --- right?

And if so ... then your dealership should be able to reflash your car to the latest program.
[right][snapback]207076[/snapback][/right]

I just heard back from the dealership today, and he said that there is nothing that Ford can do until the engine hits 12500 kms, because that is considered the "broken in" point of the car. If this is the case, there isn't much I can do in the meantime other than record the mileage every time I fuel up.

He also made a point of mentioning that there was no such thing as a service re-flash for the car... which makes no sense in contrast to what I have been reading onling (esp. from the focaljet duratec forum).

Anyways, thanks for all the help here guys! I really appreciate it...

but for the meantime, if any Ottawans see a litte red zx5 chugging along at the "designated" shift light... that's me... no laughing please, my ego gets hurt very easily :)
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"