Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Leno Sports Track-ready Electric Focus
Jay Leno Sports Track-ready Custom Plug-in Electric Ford Focus

Jay Leno isn't just about comedy these days

[Image: 12154_large_leno-electric-focus-front.jpg]

Jay Leno's moved on from The Tonight show to a new gig -- the Jay Leno Show. What does this veteran joker have to do with technology? A major segment of the new show is Jay's Green Car Challenge, a spot where Leno puts celebrities behind the wheel of a plug-in electric vehicle.
Specs of the hot retrofitted plug-in just landed, and it's looking pretty sweet. The hatchback began as a standard (non-hybrid) Ford Focus ST five-door hatchback, which rolled off an assembly line in Germany. From there it shipped to Dearborn, MI where some of Ford's best engineers electrified it.
In only six weeks they were finished. The resulting beast stands out with its vibrant orange paint job and bold decals. It is a hefty vehicle, weighing in at 3,421 pounds. Much of this weight is from the air cooling system for the batteries, and the batteries themselves -- 98 lithium ion 60 Ah cells.

The vehicle also features a pretty sporty electric motor, which puts out 141 hp (105 kW) and 235 lb-ft of torque and has a 7,500 rpm redline. The vehicle also can stop on a dime, thanks to 12.6 inch front rotors and 11 inch discs. It also features an upgrade suspension, Recaro racing seats, a full roll cage, and a five-point racing harness.

Celebrities will take the car out for test drives on a race track, competing to get the best lap time. So far only Drew Barrymore has announced her participation, but more celebs are expected to join up soon.

Despite lacking the custom Euro Focus EV's racing features, the 2011 Chevy Volt, from competitor GM, may steal some of the spotlight from the Ford vehicle. The Volt features arguably a more aggressive electric engine, which produces a reported 149 hp and runs on 111 kw. Early estimates of the torque produced were 236 ft-lb, which would put it in a dead heat with the vehicle.

The Ford Focus will be releasing the pure-electric 2012 Ford Focus EV in 2011. It will follow up with the release of a plug-in Ford Escape Hybrid, which retains some gas-driven features. Ford has been extensively researching how to make its EV's the fastest and most efficient charging models on the market.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Electric Focus, sounds like a Rock band from the 60's............ :blink:
Where does the turbo go? Maybe,.............. maybe the 2011 will look like that :(
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
FANTASTIC!
I'd drive an electric vehicle if it looked like that.

darkpuppet,Sep 18 2009, 10:04 AM Wrote:I'd drive an electric vehicle if it looked like that.
[right][snapback]294536[/snapback][/right]
Me too, but it would have to go more than 50 miles between "fill ups" for me to think about it
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
oldeguy,Sep 18 2009, 10:06 AM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Sep 18 2009, 10:04 AM Wrote:I'd drive an electric vehicle if it looked like that.
[right][snapback]294536[/snapback][/right]
Me too, but it would have to go more than 50 miles between "fill ups" for me to think about it
[right][snapback]294537[/snapback][/right]

wonder how many miles you could get if you brought a little honda generator along with you.

Looks sorta fast atleast

[Image: lenoevfocus_opt.jpg]
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
The only real issues I have with electric cars is how well can they deal with our climate in Canada and the cost of replacement batteries.

Get those issues sorted out and I'll be interested.

NefCanuck
for get the electric motor i want the body
B&G coilovers, Kamakazi headers,focus sport exhaust, 2.5 custom flex pipe, 18" oz rims, 65mm throtle body,ZX3 tuning custom cams,powerworks SC,spec 3 clutch,clutchnet 11lb flywheel,Eibach swaybar package,fs front lower stress bar,fs rear strees bar,svt big brake kit,quife diff,4.06 gears.(2012 plans FR head, 19lb boost & full engine rebuild) Good bye Escape hello 2012 focusBig Grin
WHAT! An ST with no boost!?! BLASPHAMY!!!!
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Oscar The Grouch,Sep 20 2009, 01:10 PM Wrote:WHAT! An ST with no boost!?!  BLASPHAMY!!!!
[right][snapback]294590[/snapback][/right]

It's like a hot blonde with no brains... just because you wouldn't want to live with it on a daily basis, doesn't mean you wouldn't mind being seen with one in public.