Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Import Brands Top Domestics In U.s. Sales
Import Brands Top Domestics in U.S. Sales for the First Time
The Daily Auto Insider
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
July 2006

Foreign brands accounted for 52.9 percent of the retail auto market in the first five months of 2006, while domestic automakers fell to 47.1 percent, the Detroit News reported, citing new statistics compiled by R.L. Polk and Co., which counts new car registrations and excludes sales to rental car agencies and other fleet customers.

It marks the first time that U.S. consumers bought more cars and trucks built by foreign automakers than vehicles made by Detroit's traditional Big Three. Domestic brands led foreign makes 51 percent to 49 percent over the same period last year.

Although domestic brands such as Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge still control more than half the U.S. market if fleet sales are included, more profitable retail sales are considered the best indicator of which auto brands are most popular with customers, the story said.

About 2.55 million new domestic-brand cars and trucks were registered in the first five months of this year versus 2.86 million foreign nameplates in the same period, Polk reported. The foreign nameplates figure includes some brands such as Ford-owned Land Rover and Jaguar that are controlled by the Big Three.

Toyota's U.S. brands posted a 12.5 percent increase in retail sales in the first five months of the year as GM's retail sales slipped 7.7 percent. Excluding fleet sales, Toyota brands now outsell Ford and Chrysler nameplates in the United States, Polk reported.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
That's nice, but I won't be adding any imports to my lineup anytime soon...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imports Dominate Car Sales, Domestics Take Trucks, Frost__2001 1 1,148 02-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast