Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fricken Weird Problems
I was driving yesterday to Sudbury and just as I passed Verner my car lost power.

At first I thought it was bogging issues, but when the car bogs, i can still keep over 100km/h.

Basically I was driving bout 110 and the car's power surges lower and lower. There were no warning lights or anything. Once I hit 50km/h, I pulled over and opened the hood. Nothing leaking, nothing broke. Fan belt that I replaced last week was still snug and still in the right spots.

So I let it sit for 5 min, start up and it runs fine. Gave it good amounts of gas and didn't miss a beat.

So I kept driving and about 20 min later it dies out again.

My dad says its probably a fuel problem, line, pump or bad gas.

Any thoughts anyone?
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Bad fuel pump.

Try an injector additive and some water remover in your gas.

If it's still sputtering....Take it in.
ANTHONYD,Apr 21 2006, 09:39 AM Wrote:Bad fuel pump.

[right][snapback]182564[/snapback][/right]

[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
all I know is when my fuel pump went...I knew about it in a hurry. It was really bucking bad.
2002 Infra-red ZTS
Flofocus,Apr 21 2006, 03:36 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Apr 21 2006, 09:39 AM Wrote:Bad fuel pump.

[right][snapback]182564[/snapback][/right]

[right][snapback]182597[/snapback][/right]

2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
I didn't see anyon mention fuel filter yet -- symptoms are right on for that.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
We yakked about it yesterday. I recommended resetting the ECU and burning off what was left in the tank and refilling with a different retailer's gas.

He's had the fuel filter done recently if memory serves. It could also have been a bad batch of gas, no? It was a repeated occurence.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
When i had a bad fuel pump, my problems will only be on Ramps.

As bunch of ppl had said alreay maybe its a bad fuel. Get 102 octane or 104 and run the car for a while to see what happens.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Fuel pump. Father in-laws Focus did EXACTLY the same thing. Fuel pump=Dead.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
I had a recal for my fuel pump 3 years ago, my car was doing the same thing as your car. Looks like full pump problems to me.
Civic's sucks!

SEX is like math: add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and pray you don't multiply!
My buddy's focus did the same thing when he was driving from north bay to ottawa. He knew it was the fuel pump so he brought it in to the ford dealer there and they replaced it free of charge. aparently there was a recall on the fuel pump for the 2000 ZX3 that the car had missed.
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
I had somewhat similar results from a shot catalytic convertor, as well. Had no power at all, hard to keep at highway speed, next to imposible climbing a hill. Pulled over let it cool down, ran good for a short while until it heated up again, then there was no power again. Needless to say I wish my long tube header had come in before that slow annoying trip.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.