Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunroof?
Anyone know how hard/long it would take for a shop to install a factory SVT sunroof & run the wiring into the ZX3 ???

Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
ZX3guy2000,Jun 17 2006, 10:32 PM Wrote:Anyone know how hard/long it would take for a shop to install a factory SVT sunroof & run the wiring into the ZX3 ???
[right][snapback]193676[/snapback][/right]

I know it takes the boys at my shop 2 work days to do the install!

Lots of stuff involved!...expensive too!!
That sucks... I found a sunroof out of a SVT for pretty cheap..... okay guess that is not an option!

Thanks MIcrobunny!

I was told because some focus does not come already equipement with one it's not a good idea to put one because the frame was not build to have a sun roof so if you top your car it's going to cave in....

Does that make any sense?
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
focusonthis_88,Jun 18 2006, 03:06 AM Wrote:I was told because some focus does not come already equipement with one it's not a good idea to put one because the frame was not build to have a sun roof so if you top your car it's going to cave in....

[right][snapback]193700[/snapback][/right]

No, it doesn't!

learn how to spell!
well it's not hard to get a Moon roof put in, I have one on my Focus, and it's an aftermarket one for sure it's almost double the size of the standard ford sunroof.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Frost__2001,Jun 18 2006, 12:24 PM Wrote:well it's not hard to get a Moon roof put in, I have one on my Focus, and it's an aftermarket one for sure it's almost double the size of the standard ford sunroof.
[right][snapback]193748[/snapback][/right]

Do you have any idea how much work it is to do a sunroof install!? If you think its easy, I'd love to watch you do it and take notes!
Well if you are going to have an aftermarket sunroof installed get a WEBASTO unit installed. They are the manufacturer for about 90% of the OEM sunroof's. I took a training course for their heaters that are installed on truck engines and and bunks and I peeked in on their sunroof division and what a product!!! You will pay a premium for their units but you will not be sorry.

Check them out. WEBASTO

[Image: Focus_5d_01_2200_450.jpg]
[Image: 04_focus_524.jpg]
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
I will personally smack anyone who puts a fabric sunroof on their focus.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

microbunny,Jun 18 2006, 04:02 PM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Jun 18 2006, 12:24 PM Wrote:well it's not hard to get a Moon roof put in, I have one on my Focus, and it's an aftermarket one for sure it's almost double the size of the standard ford sunroof.
[right][snapback]193748[/snapback][/right]

Do you have any idea how much work it is to do a sunroof install!? If you think its easy, I'd love to watch you do it and take notes!
[right][snapback]193770[/snapback][/right]

I was talking about taking it some where to have it done bunny, there are a few good choices out there for how big of a sun / moon roof people are looking for, as Kev pointed out there with the full roof versions.

ie. some are custom, some are just out of a box....etc...
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
*Thanks the car gods for his factory moonroof*
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
I was looking at getting a factory sunroof out of an SVT, and looking at getting it installed!!

Now I am not sure if it will be worth all the effort/money/time to get one installed if it is going to be a huge project for a shop to do it.

ZX3guy2000,Jun 19 2006, 06:17 PM Wrote:I was looking at getting a factory sunroof out of an SVT, and looking at getting it installed!!

Now I am not sure if it will be worth all the effort/money/time to get one installed if it is going to be a huge project for a shop to do it.
[right][snapback]193986[/snapback][/right]

not only is the job huge, but the cost is anywhere from $300.00 for a non-moveable, non openning piece of glass...to $1800.00+ for a custom one with all the install and work done!

infact, I think that it's so not worth it...that I wouldnt even recommend my shop! Unless you are dead set on a sunroof...I wouldnt bother man!
I would suggest that if you are thinking about getting the sunroof go and talk to a few shops first and ask them about installing a used OEM unit. They will probably suggest against it. I think you would probably be better off getting a new unit. They will come with the template and all the installation instructions for the install. The units that I showed in my previous post are all application engineered. They are not universal. But there is 1 down side, they cost upwards of $2000 installed.

Your choice, your money.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
darkpuppet,Jun 19 2006, 11:57 AM Wrote:I will personally smack anyone who puts a fabric sunroof on their focus.
[right][snapback]193916[/snapback][/right]

Why? Then people can think they bought a VW Beetle :P :lol:

NefCanuck
Just whatever you do, dont take it to a s***ty shop because they give you a cheap price. You definitely want something like this done right by a pro or you'll be using an umbrella inside of your car.

Personally I dont much care about the sunroof option, but it's something you should really look at when buying the car since it's not the easiest mod to do.
focusonthis_88,Jun 18 2006, 02:06 AM Wrote:I was told because some focus does not come already equipement with one it's not a good idea to put one because the frame was not build to have a sun roof so if you top your car it's going to cave in....

[right][snapback]193700[/snapback][/right]

I was looking into putting an aftermarket sunroof on my old Tercel (before it was replaced with the ZX5), and I was advised against it because aftermarket sun/moon roofs tend to leak. I never heard anything about caving in the top of your car.
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
replace your focus with a car that has a sunroof. you could swap in leather seats from a ZTS, put in a sunroof, put in auto climate control and OEM navi from a euro focus, etc.. but no matter what you do it will not be a bmw, mercedes, audi, or whatever really floats your boat..

IMHO.. sunroofs are stupid. weight at the very top of the car, plus less headroom for my helmet. give me a rigid fixed roof over stupid glass any day..

and how often are you going to open it really? i think i used the sunroof in my integra all of.... zero times in the year and a half i owned the car. and i was annoyed by having to tilt my head side sideways to fit with my helmet on a LOT of times!!!
naz,Jul 10 2006, 10:37 PM Wrote:replace your focus with a car that has a sunroof. you could swap in leather seats from a ZTS, put in a sunroof, put in auto climate control and OEM navi from a euro focus, etc.. but no matter what you do it will not be a bmw, mercedes, audi, or whatever really floats your boat..

IMHO.. sunroofs are stupid. weight at the very top of the car, plus less headroom for my helmet.  give me a rigid fixed roof over stupid glass any day..

and how often are you going to open it really? i think i used the sunroof in my integra all of.... zero times in the year and a half i owned the car. and i was annoyed by having to tilt my head side sideways to fit with my helmet on a LOT of times!!!
[right][snapback]197085[/snapback][/right]

My other car 92 protege **bad winter weather accident may it rest in peace**, had a sunroof, and I absolutely loved it! So I would probably have the sunroof open all the time possible. Even though my focus has A/C I really don't use it too often. I like to have my windows down, and the sunroof would have just been an added option for me.

And when you say swap in other options to make it something that it is not.... that is not why I want to add things to my focus! I like the way it drives/handles, and I have fun when I drive it! Oh yeah... and I don't want to replace my focus......just had a though of adding a sunroof!!! :P
naz,Jul 10 2006, 10:37 PM Wrote:and how often are you going to open it really? i think i used the sunroof in my integra all of.... zero times in the year and a half i owned the car. and i was annoyed by having to tilt my head side sideways to fit with my helmet on a LOT of times!!!
[right][snapback]197085[/snapback][/right]
Funny, I use my sunroof nearly every day 9 months out of the year,

....but I have yet to wear a helmet in the car.

As a matter of fact, 95% of people I know have yet to wear a helmet in a car.

So, while your personal reasons (regarding helmets) are completely true and valid to you, they are hardly the concerns of the typical Focus driver.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*