Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Svt Guru's
I need a little information before I make a decision on the car we drive back and forth to work.
The SVT Focus is in the running.
But I need simple answers for simple questions.
Like, does the SVT need premium gas? Or are you one of the many who put in premium when only a NA engine requires a premium fuel. I am just wondering what Ford recommends.
And what kind of gas mileage are you getting? ( ie. kms per tank)
And what does a tank cost you to fill?
Are there any known regular PITA hastles that are constantly in need of repair?
What recommendations for future mods are a must do?
Don't try and sell me your car here. I aint interested.
If I buy one it will be from the USA and a Euro SVT, so thanks but no thanks. And I don't need it for atleast 18 months.

Thanks for your replies.

What other cars are in the running? I am about to be crucified here but the TDI Golf is a major contender. The one that my brother-in-law bought, which i help locate with the assistance of our membership, is a great car.

But we are buying 2 cars and the other will be a Sunday driver from a Ford related company.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
What other cars are in the running?

Bryan, i really liked Mitsubishi lancer RalliArt....pretty good engine, sport suspension, short shifter,good responce, factory sub in the trunk.. and many other things if u choise from options....but the car could be too small for u
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
what about a mazda hatchback?

those 3's are hott!
I have an 02 SVT and it has been great to answer your questions:

1) Gas, premuim is a must min 91 octane.
2) City Driving 400km per tank but the tank is smaller than average (40L I Believe) Ive gotten just over 500KM Hiway
3) Heat shield falls off dealer will fix easily if under warrenty if not large heater hose clamps can be done at home. Some people have had issue with the clutch but their is a TSB from Ford if the car is still under warrenty (check out svtoa.com for more details.) Im sure others will add some of their personal issues, knock on wood mine has been great but has really low miles.
4) For mods you can do springs exaust, intake TB, a lot is already there, I have left mine alone.

Just a word of warning about waiting on the SVT many are close to the end of their warrenty , as the last year for production was 04, most will be up in 07 or the miles will be up there. Just something to think about and to extend the warrenty to 7 years 150k your looking at $1895 for full coverage and thats only available if you buy the car before the 3/60 is over.

Just some thoughts
David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
meford4u,Aug 17 2006, 08:14 PM Wrote:I need a little information before I make a decision on the car we drive back and forth to work.
The SVT Focus is in the running.
But I need simple answers for simple questions.
Like, does the SVT need premium gas?  Or are you one of the many who put in premium when only a NA engine requires a premium fuel.  I am just wondering what Ford recommends.[right][snapback]202829[/snapback][/right]
Yes the SVTF needs premium. It states 91+ on the inside of the fuel door and the guages say "Premium fuel only -->"

meford4u,Aug 17 2006, 08:14 PM Wrote:And what kind of gas mileage are you getting? ( ie. kms per tank)
And what does a tank cost you to fill?[right][snapback]202829[/snapback][/right]
When bone stock I could get 450km per tank all city driving. On a performance tune with CAI and ORP I get about 400 give or take how heavy my foot is that week. I also have a fuel economy tune but have never tried it out so I can't comment on the fuel use of that tune.
The tank holds more than 40L, it'll take at least 45L.
meford4u,Aug 17 2006, 08:14 PM Wrote:Are there any known regular PITA hastles that are constantly in need of repair?[right][snapback]202829[/snapback][/right]
Just the usual focus stuff. I've never had a major issue (now @ 16,500km) you could ask Scoobasteve but from what I gather his had more problems than most. There are a couple of TSB's on the car (Clutch and tune come to mind particularly)

meford4u,Aug 17 2006, 08:14 PM Wrote:What recommendations for future mods are a must do?
[right][snapback]202829[/snapback][/right]

AFTERMARKET TUNE!!!! Other than that rear engine mount and short throw shifter. If you end up getting one just PM me or let me know. Some really enjoy the aftermarket TB's because of the improved throttle response. I've already done lots of research on these cars on the big American focus sites and can give you specific links to some of topics/

Oh and if you didn't know all 02-04 SVTf got 5/100 powertrain warranty/road side assistance.
microbunny,Aug 17 2006, 08:25 PM Wrote:what about a mazda hatchback?

those 3's are hott!
[right][snapback]202832[/snapback][/right]

x2! AND you can get the 2.3 in a few different models....not just the "performance sedan" *cough* 05+ ST *cough*
dude. go with the Golf TDI...You'd be much happier.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
For the f***tards not too bright, I am not asking for car recommendations. A new car would be a stupid idea driving 100+ kms a day back and forth to work. This will be a car that needs decent gas mileage, be reliable, and if it can be a little fun to drive, even better.

But your suggestions are falling on deaf ears, so keep it on topic please.

or I'll keel ya. :P ;) :o :lol:

if you want a good little car with decent gas mileage the TDI will blow everything else out of the water. there is also more than a few things you can do with the little 1.9L TDI lump. basic tuning laws apply, so a turbo back exhaust and intake along with a tune will get you some great power. you can get some good parts from http://www.dieselgeek.com/ to keep the car running for a long ling time. i have seen a few local 00 TDI's with 400,000+km on them and going strong!

as for the SVT, most of it has already been covered.
in most cases, an aftermarket exhaust will actually lose hp over the stock exhaust.
A Tune, lower mount, short shifter, UDP and ORP do a lot for making the cars more lively than they come stock. TB's are nice but some people like them and some don't. you can run a single cam gear on the exhaust cam and many say the gains are minimal in power but improved drivability, i have yet to do one so i cannot verify this. but dyno tuning said cam gear would be highly suggested. there are also VCT delete kits that in the works that will allow you to run aftermarket Zetec cams.
the DSI metal clip is an area of issuue as are the intake manifold couplers, upgrades are available or you could build your own... or almost all of which can be had from CFM.

if you are serious about a TDI, get on http://www.vwvortex.com and start asking questions there about what can be done to the engine for more power with minimal drop in mileage... then again, 1000km/tank even if you lost 10%, you'd still be looking at over 2x the milage of a SVT! ;)
i've found that my mileage has gotten better after getting a tune done, I don't let my car go below a half a tank but i get about 250km for that half a tank of gas.
'03 Focus SVT
I know you're not normally a sedan guy, Bryan, but why not look at an off-lease ST?

1- Factory warranty (100k/drivetrain)
2- Uses straight unleaded, only like 15hp less than an SVT but more torque
3- Has the SVT suspension minus the springs -- which you could get for cheap.
4- Everything else from the SVT fits save engine parts.
5- I get 450-600km per tank depending on how aggressively I drive

Don't crucify me, just a thought.

Mohawk Ford:
U1197 05 FOCUS ZX4 ST 26/SILVER 18,995.00
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
I won't crucify you, but the truth about the sedan..........I don't know if it is factualy true or not, but I find with both the sedan and the ZX5 that there is less leg room in them than the ZX3. I have driven both and have come to my own personal conclusion that it would be a ZX3 or nothing.
As for the VW, it really is a hard sell for me from the standpoint I have always supported the company i work for. I am a firm believer in that. But they don't make the NA version of the diesel Focus available to us and I don't feel that bad about dabbling in that market.

Time will tell, but thanks for your responses. Keep 'em coming.

So I'm guessing if you go with the TDi, You'll get the unvoulentary "mirror mod" at the plant?

Why risk it?
meford4u,Aug 18 2006, 04:46 AM Wrote:I won't crucify you, but the truth about the sedan..........I don't know if it is factualy true or not, but I find with both the sedan and the ZX5 that there is less leg room in them than the ZX3.  I have driven both and have come to my own personal conclusion that it would be a ZX3 or nothing.
As for the VW, it really is a hard sell for me from the standpoint I have always supported the company i work for.  I am a firm believer in that.  But they don't make the NA version of the diesel Focus available to us and I don't feel that bad about dabbling in that market.

Time will tell, but thanks for your responses.  Keep 'em coming.
[right][snapback]202860[/snapback][/right]

The ZX3 and ZX5 have the same leg room, both cars have same wheel base and interior dimensions. As for the sedan, Im not sure never been in one?

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
Back in the day you and I exchanged "friendly" posts about the TDI B) ( I own an "04 TDI ) Still going strong, no problems at all ( 56,000K ) and get over 1100km's per tank. Its a great choice, I can't complain. I drive back and forth to Trenton ( 700km ) and Ottawa every weekend ( 350km ). So getting the diesel was a wise move for me.
Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
ANTHONYD,Aug 18 2006, 07:02 AM Wrote:So I'm guessing if you go with the TDi, You'll get the unvoulentary "mirror mod" at the plant?
[right][snapback]202863[/snapback][/right]
Probably not a mirror mod, just a longer walk. But then again, winter is coming...
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
1) SVT needs premium gas... Runs like s*** if you dont use it (from what ive heard)

2) I was getting anywhere between 430-500 a tank... mixed city/hwy

3) With todays gas prices... over 50... My fillups were 44-47L

4) Issues = Heatshield, Wheel Bearings, Clutch Throwout bearing(tsb parts dont work) DSI manifold clip - mine went once. apparently its a huge issue though

5) Mods - Low dust brake pads, SRI, definatley get a SCT tune (exhaust work isnt a necessity)
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
OAC_Sparky,Aug 18 2006, 08:39 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Aug 18 2006, 07:02 AM Wrote:So I'm guessing if you go with the TDi, You'll get the unvoulentary "mirror mod" at the plant?
[right][snapback]202863[/snapback][/right]
Probably not a mirror mod, just a longer walk. But then again, winter is coming...
[right][snapback]202870[/snapback][/right]

It's not that long of a walk in the paint parking lot.

And just to clarify, this would be a used car. But I thought that was pretty obvious.

And also one that would get driven about 100km's a day. So wear and tear are going to be major issues.

meford4u,Aug 18 2006, 12:16 PM Wrote:And also one that would get driven about 100km's a day.  So wear and tear are going to be major issues.
[right][snapback]202906[/snapback][/right]

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would go with Ford then. :P

Its a joke bud, take a deep breath. :ph34r:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Aug 18 2006, 12:59 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Aug 18 2006, 12:16 PM Wrote:And also one that would get driven about 100km's a day.  So wear and tear are going to be major issues.
[right][snapback]202906[/snapback][/right]

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would go with Ford then. :P

Its a joke bud, take a deep breath. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]202916[/snapback][/right]
your cruisin for a bruisin