Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford Focus Hood Lift Question
Okay in my quest to try and find a way to raise the hood on my car that doesn't involve me getting guillotined by the hood as I try to slam the hood prop in place I came across this little thing on ebay:

Ford Focus +05 Hood Lift

Anyone ever seen/installed one of these things? If the vehicle adaptation place I called locally doesn't call me back (The person answering the phone didn't seem to get why I need to be able to open and close the hood one handed <_< ) I'm thinking that buying this and getting it installed would be my best bet...

NefCanuck
Daniel.....that link doesn't work
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
This one should work.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Focus-2005-Hood-Li...1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: Never mind, just search in Ebay for "Ford Focus 2005+ Hood Lift ELITE Kit Gas Strut" and it'll come up.

It seems a bit pricey, doesn't it? Basically, a labelled gas shock, all chrome, with riveted brackets that should be able to support any other gas shock. There's gotta be a cheaper alternative.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Sep 5 2006, 09:41 PM Wrote:This one should work.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Focus-2005-Hood-Li...1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: Never mind, just search in Ebay for "Ford Focus 2005+ Hood Lift ELITE Kit Gas Strut" and it'll come up.

It seems a bit pricey, doesn't it? Basically, a labelled gas shock, all chrome, with riveted brackets that should be able to support any other gas shock. There's gotta be a cheaper alternative.
[right][snapback]205572[/snapback][/right]

Only one on Ebay that's come up and that rig does have a 4 year warranty on the strut which is the minimum I would expect when shelling out that kind of $ for it.

Hell, that'll probably be what the conversion place would install anyways, they don't cheap out when doing that stuff :huh:

NefCanuck
I'm pretty sure http://www.redlinetuning.com sponsors some of the big forums.. they also have a few other products for the Focus. I'm going to guess the ebay link was to one of their products..
guilty,Sep 5 2006, 11:17 PM Wrote:I'm pretty sure http://www.redlinetuning.com sponsors some of the big forums.. they also have a few other products for the Focus.  I'm going to guess the ebay link was to one of their products..
[right][snapback]205587[/snapback][/right]

Yup, that was the name of the company, wonder if I should just go to redlinetuning.com and cut out the middleman here :huh:

NefCanuck
guilty,Sep 5 2006, 11:17 PM Wrote:I'm pretty sure http://www.redlinetuning.com sponsors some of the big forums.. they also have a few other products for the Focus.  I'm going to guess the ebay link was to one of their products..
[right][snapback]205587[/snapback][/right]

Yup. So they're reputable huh? Well that's reassuring, so I guess if your willing to shell out the cash for their setup, it shouldn't be that bad of an idea.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
CTA Motorsports sells Redline stuff.

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/indexca.htm

(look under Focus -> Appearance)

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Theres some info on it, and a little how-to to install it:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthr...ight=hood+strut
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Have you researched any companys that modify cars for the disabled?

They would surely do it for you...and possibly cheaper.

I mean all bling aside...it's really not needed.

I think looking at performance shops for this is really the WRONG way to go.

Call me crazy. <_<
euro_zx5,Sep 5 2006, 10:42 PM Wrote:Yup. So they're reputable huh? Well that's reassuring, so I guess if your willing to shell out the cash for their setup, it shouldn't be that bad of an idea.
[right][snapback]205604[/snapback][/right]

Well I'm not vouching for them, but I think there are a lot of forum members who would.. I havent really checked it out much myself. But it's a whole lot better than some ebay-only company trying to sell s***..

As for cutting out the middle man, I think the company also uses ebay as a storefront.. so they get the products out to the people searching ebay for car parts too. So it'll likely be the same seller.. but sometimes they offer price deals on ebay auctions (and sometimes not). If you could get it from a Canadian retailer though, you would probably save a lot on brokerage/etc.
ANTHONYD,Sep 6 2006, 09:07 AM Wrote:Have you researched any companys that modify cars for the disabled?

Call me crazy. <_<
[right][snapback]205649[/snapback][/right]

Sad part is I've already got calls into the exact shops your talking about for two days now and no callbacks yet <_< (Not even a courtesy follow up, I think the people answering the phones don't understand why a disabled person wants to be ABLE to open their hood <_< ) As to whether they'll be cheaper or not, when they call me I'll post thier prices :P

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Sep 6 2006, 10:01 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Sep 6 2006, 09:07 AM Wrote:Have you researched any companys that modify cars for the disabled?

Call me crazy. <_<
[right][snapback]205649[/snapback][/right]

Sad part is I've already got calls into the exact shops your talking about for two days now and no callbacks yet <_< (Not even a courtesy follow up, I think the people answering the phones don't understand why a disabled person wants to be ABLE to open their hood <_< ) As to whether they'll be cheaper or not, when they call me I'll post thier prices :P

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]205836[/snapback][/right]

Keep on em'!
Just a quick update for anyone interested hears crickets chirp

The vehicle mod place called back after I left a second message this morning.

Upshot is they've never done anything like I'm requesting, but are more than happy to install whatever kit I bring them because if they have to fab something up themselves they can't guarantee what it will happen to the hood or fender as they "test fit" (IE: hack the s$%t outta my car <_<) and no price quote to boot.

Having heard the horror stories of what happened to DP's Focus and wanting to avoid them borking my hood up I decided to alter my strategy.

So I've fired off an email to CTA Motorsports to see what the damage would be to get the Quicklift kit sent to me and then I have to bring the whole thing to the shop (and get dinged an estimated two hours of labour to install the kit despite the website saying one hour with the right tools :rolleyes: )

NefCanuck
It's really unfortunate that a performance shop would take this job on with more affection.
Looking at the instructions doesn't look like the install should be hard at all for a reputable shop to do.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

That install looks pretty simple if you've ever used a rivet gun before.. You might even be able to find a handy member here to lend a hand installing it. That's not a very reassuring call-back from that shop though, definitely one of those "we really don't want to do this job for you, and if you insist on bringing it to us we'll do a really bad job of it" kind of deals. If you take it to a shop you might be better off paying more and taking it to a performance shop where they might take a little more pride in doing professional "show-quality" type work.
I'll install it for you...

if you recall me overlooking the gauge install (hey, I did some work too)... you know how anal I am... so I'm sure we could get it done for you with minimal hassle.

Can even get meford to stand behind me and hold a beer to make sure it's done right...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Sep 8 2006, 01:44 PM Wrote:Can even get meford to stand behind me and hold a beer to make sure it's done right...
[right][snapback]206206[/snapback][/right]
It's a talent he's rather proud of, in fact. :ph34r:

:lol:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Thanks, I may just take you up on the offer, hell the performance shop got back to me by email today advising they were checking into expedited shipping for the kit I need and that was in less than 24 hours from when I made the inquiry.

THAT'S service, not like "Well, we'll get back to you if you bug us and basically say FOAD without really saying it cause we don't wanna do this job" like the conversion shop did <_<

NefCanuck