Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance Shops
well I listen to them and then draw the conclusions after some documentation
in this case better is a matter of oninion and goals with the car.
certain setups favor certain types of driving and drivers better than others.
what do you want out of the car?

what I want is a bit more punch because it's a bit slow all the way up to 5000+rpm but then when the manifold opens to second stage, between 6000 and 7200 rpm it's just flying.As long as I keep the rpm's way up there I can keep up with others with bigger engines.
I'd like to get a 0-100 in mid 5s to 6 seconds if possible and
another thing I want is to change the speed limit from 216km/h to 250km/h .Do you know what it takes to do it?
Handling is great, not too stiff, maybe just new rotors to be changed
That's pretty much the performance that I want to get out of my car
i have SVT front and rear brake rotors and pads in stock, PM me for details.

5-6sec 0-100km is pretty quick, you are looking at 230+fwhp and 200+lb/ft.
with a turbo you will need to upgrade a few things to hold such power, simple upgrades but upgrades that really need to be done.

i'll explain more later.

I read about Powerworks and Vortech SC's, it seems that Vortech delivers more power but a little less torque, around 270hp vs PW at 250hp, they come at about the same price, but it seems that Powerworks it's easier to install
what do you think?
speaking of the upgrades, I expect that I'll have to change the clutch and plate and maybe the differential to reduce wheel slip that is present on my stock vehicle
Unfortunately, when it comes to the computer part I am lost.
Gabriel,Oct 9 2006, 06:59 AM Wrote:I read about Powerworks and Vortech SC's, it seems that Vortech delivers more power but a little less torque, around 270hp vs PW at 250hp, they come at about the same price, but it seems that Powerworks it's easier to install
what do you think?
[right][snapback]210734[/snapback][/right]
The Vortech kit will not produce 270 out of the box. you require tuning to reach such power levels as well as additional parts, i'm aqssuming you saw the numbers posted about Slickshoes' SVT?
Vortech has also discontinued all Focus SC kit production, so any kit you find will be end of stock or used. no word as to if Vortech will stock replacement parts for the focus kits currently on the market.
the PW kit is much easier to install and also comes complete with tuning.
the Vortech makes a lot less torque than the PW kit lower in the powerband but picks up near the end, out of the box on the Vortech you should see around 220fwhp and about 190lb/ft both near redline.
Powerworks will do about 245-250fwhp near redline but will make 170-200+lb/ft from around 2000rpm to redline, however it will peak around 5000-5800rpm.

Gabriel,Oct 9 2006, 07:03 AM Wrote:speaking of the upgrades, I expect that I'll have to change the clutch and plate and maybe the differential to reduce wheel slip that is present on my stock vehicle
Unfortunately, when it comes to the computer part I am lost.
[right][snapback]210735[/snapback][/right]
you do not NEED to change the clutch.
i have 80,000+km on my car and those include almost 2 years of competitive AutoX racing at a regional level aswell as abusing the car on a daily basis. the last 25,000km have been boosted at 220fwhp and 185lb/ft, not racing but serious abuse has been put on this car and clutch in that time. still on the stock clutch and currently stock open diff.
while i say they are not needed, they are a good idea down the road. i would suggest doing such work either before the SC in prep for it or after the SC. either way you should get some time on either setup to verify proper function before installing the other. nothing sucks worse than doing a ton of work to the car all at once only to have a problem and need to pull it all apart to fix a mistake or something else...
I should maybe incline towards Powerworks because it seems easier to install.I know ho to turn a wrench-used to work on cars in Europe-but like I said i catch my ears when it comes to the computer part.
I've got a little dilemma here, You say powerworks will do around 245-250 hp at the wheels.Other specs are giving for an SVT 250hp without mentioning whether at the wheels or at the crank.Which one is it?
Anyway, this power range is enough for me because I don't really want to get into internal engine mods or blow it up.I wonder with this kind of SC what would be the o-100 km/h time?
Mitch, I'm surprised that the vortech kit has such a hp-torque disparity on the SVT... in zetec HO trim, my max torque was about 10 less than the HP.. which is pretty good IMO.

of course, where the torque comes on is a totally different story.. I think mine peaked around 4k (zetec).

I wouldn't recommend a vortech to anyone... it'd almost be simpler to install and maintain a turbo setup. So just strike it out of your mind now.... :) .. there's so many other great options (the powerworks kit being one of them).

Having done my own tuning via trial by fire, and having visited/called up a few shops in the Toronto area, I wouldn't hold my breath for competent zetec tuners. I know DaSylva has had success with zx32nv's car, but when I talked to them (a couple years ago), I wasn't encouraged by what I heard.

Same with steeda... good guys, lots of heart, but when I started with the technical questions.. ugh.. A good tuner shop should always know more about tuning than it's clientelle..

My best advice is this... either get an all-in-one solution (like the powerworks), or spend a lot of time checking out shop references. Honestly, it'll cost more to have a shop do it from the ground up, so you're better to get a kit and then save your pennies for further tuning down the road.

Did I mention I would vote for the powerworks kit? It's honestly the best option for a daily driver IMO. and it's got power to spare. The focus is a car that'll make you smile all day long with 200WHP...

good luck man!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Oct 12 2006, 07:03 PM Wrote:focus is a car that'll make you smile all day long with 200WHP...

[right][snapback]211443[/snapback][/right]

:D :D :D
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I just have a feeling that Powerworks SC will be my last resort. I ask around hoping to make the best choice.Thank y'all for your opinions