Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stock Exhaust System Size
Hey All,

I am thinking of replacing my muffler with a magnaflow hiflow muffler. I was wondering what the stock exhaust pipe size is.
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
1"7/8 I believe
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
I think it's 2.25? :huh:
Silver 05 ZX4 SES

RPM Black 501 18X7, Falken 215/35/18's, MBRP Stainless Cat-Back Exhaust Gen 2, FocusSport Header and Flex, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Struts & Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, AEM Cold Intake, FocusSport Strut Bar, Pioneer Head Unit, Boston 6.5 for Doors, Speedhut White Face Gauges, Momo Pedals, Crystal Clear Bumper Lenses, Niken Shorty Antena, Tint. RS Widebody Kit Ready for 2010...!

Fat Guy in Small Car...
It's 1-7/8".... confirmed.
S2,Dec 26 2004, 12:56 AM Wrote:It's 1-7/8".... confirmed.
[right][snapback]76401[/snapback][/right]

Wow thats small...ok so how would I go about installing an aftermarket muffler on that? Any one?
you dont you buy a whole exhaust system, a muffler aint gonna do jack just a waste of money.

You can buy the whole exhaust system for 300-400 bucks for a Ztec
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Here is a comparison of exhaust systems from FJ:

FJ exhaust shootout

I remember seeing recently that paolo was thinking of selling his MBRP exhaust.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
ThraxXx,Dec 26 2004, 01:34 AM Wrote:
S2,Dec 26 2004, 12:56 AM Wrote:It's 1-7/8".... confirmed.
[right][snapback]76401[/snapback][/right]

Wow thats small...ok so how would I go about installing an aftermarket muffler on that? Any one?
[right][snapback]76405[/snapback][/right]

Horrible thing to do. You want to buy a catback system and eventually a full exhaust engine back.

Putting a muffler on a stock system gets the instant rice sound that the majority of those Hondas out there sound like.
D-Dub,Dec 26 2004, 03: Wrote:you dont you buy a whole exhaust system, a muffler aint gonna do jack just a waste of money.

You can buy the whole exhaust system for 300-400 bucks for a Ztec
[right][snapback]76406[/snapback][/right]

Well I don't really feel like shelling out the 300 bux for a cat back system, I just wanted a little bit of a rumble in my exhaust. Canadian Tire has the Ractive mufflers going for 119.99 so I was gonna pick up one of those and bolt it up.
replacing the muffler isn't going to get you a 'rumble' .. its just going to make the car louder at best, and really annoying at worst.. i think you'll be much happier saving up for a catback..

Aftermarket mufflers sound like sh*$....period. They will buzz, drone, and sound like a popcorn fart whenever you back off the throttle. Is this what you wanna pay $119 for? Like some of the others said on here, don't waste your money on a muffler on it's own. Save up the coinage and buy a MBRP or Magnaflow or Borla. Most Zetec powered foci I've seen and heard with the MBRP sound like a VR6 Golf GTi...very cool!
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Drivesthebeast,Dec 27 2004, 11:12 PM Wrote:Aftermarket mufflers sound like sh*$....period.  They will buzz, drone, and sound like a popcorn fart whenever you back off the throttle.  Is this what you wanna pay $119 for?  Like some of the others said on here, don't waste your money on a muffler on it's own.  Save up the coinage and buy a MBRP or Magnaflow or Borla.  Most Zetec powered foci I've seen and heard with the MBRP sound like a VR6 Golf GTi...very cool!
[right][snapback]76548[/snapback][/right]

Well I don't think mine is a Zetec focus. The engine was only 110hp and the zetec is boasting 130+. But I will take your advice and look into getting a magnaflow catback system from out local performance shop installed.
You going to Service 1 Mufflers on Trout Lake? Let me know,
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 29 2004, 10:38 PM Wrote:You going to Service 1 Mufflers on Trout Lake? Let me know,
[right][snapback]76723[/snapback][/right]

nah...they quoted me too high for the TransAm. I went to Industrial Rad for the TransAm and it was $200 cheaper. That and they work quick. I am gonna give IR a call tomorrow and find out what the price would be and book an install for the cat back system for next wednesday (my next day off).

I'm gla dyou decided to go with what the guys are saying.

Do it right the first time. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Ok so I called industrial Rad and they quoted me on the magnaflow cat back system and then he told me he has a mandrel bender there and can build me a custom exhaust. The Magnaflow is $550 where he can custom build me a cat back exhaust for $250. I think I am gonna get him to custom build it as he said that he can make it perfect for the car and when its all said and done it will be cheaper and more efficient. I will let you guys know how this goes. My car is booked for its new exhaust for next wednesday.
OK
What brand of muffler is he putting on?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
not sure..they are gonna show me what they have and I am gonna pick. I wouldn't mind something with dual tips. Once I get it all said and done I will let you know.
I have a mini fireball muffler for sale or cheap. I had it on the focus for 2 months while i was waiting for the Magnaflow. Sound pretty good and gave me that nice sound. No ricey sound. Was really low. People didnt even know I had it there till I stepped on the gas.

This can be adpated to the stock exhaust. Perfect if all you want is sound. Fits perfect to under the focus and look good in the stock exhuast groove.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust system for 2007 ST Gravter 22 12,050 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Last Post: MuskokaZX3
  Stock Swaybar Size On An 07 St Canadian ST 4 1,844 03-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Canadian ST
  Just Exhaust Or Full System Just4Derek 6 2,186 10-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Last Post: NikiterZTS
  Stock Flex Pipe Size bigman 8 5,640 09-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Casper
  Stock Exhaust Db Loudness? Spyder01 0 938 01-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Spyder01