Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Have A Racing Harness?
Was just looking through pictures and was thinking maybe I could get myself a racing harness for the once and a while track days I attend. Now I am getting seats and I was just wondering if I could bolt the harness to the seat bracket instead of where the racers bolt it? Can anyone shed some light?
i don't think its a good idea to bolt a harness to where the seat mounts. the seat mounts to the floor and then you would mounting the harness to the floor. you get into an accident the belt is not going to move with the seat but stay still with the car.

i think mitch from zx3tuning has harness in his car.

are you taking about the shoulder straps or lap belts?
'03 Focus SVT
if you are going to do it, use the bolt that the rear seatbelts bolt to the car with (the female part of the buckle) I have seen that used with sucess.
Run your car, not your mouth
Well I dunno exactly what I was gonna do. At this point I was just thinking out loud.
Mitch has his harness bolted under the back seats where the stock belts are bolted down. I think I said that right. I would ask him when he gets back.
i have 2 black 4 point harnesses someone can buy....100 bucks takes the pair
-Will update mods when its all put back together...
1998 nissan 200sx 2.0L Turbo
Check it out here
On an episode of Trucks I saw a while back he was showing how to install a racing harness, and how not to.

The shoulder straps are supposed to be mounted directly behind you, definitely not straight down to the floor at the base of the seat. It has to do with the force of the belt holding you down and compacting your spine on impact, rather than letting you move forward a bit and absorbing the impact.
Yep if it goes straight down, it can snap your neck. Theres a really good article about how to install them somewhere..... unfortunetly I dont have it with me right now.

Simon had them done right if i remember correctly in his car. Hopefully he sees this and clues in.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
What if I bolt the shoulder straps to the bolt shown in this pic?

[Image: HarnessBolt.jpg]
tdot-zx3,Jan 11 2005, 02: Wrote:Simon had them done right if i remember correctly in his car. Hopefully he sees this and clues in.
[right][snapback]78347[/snapback][/right]

Clues in...... thanks Dan! LOL

Yes I did it but I was a fool. I would never recommend doing it to anyone unless you are running non reclining race seats. There are currently no non factory belts certified for street use in Canada so your going to get a ticket if your pulled over.

Just get a CG lock CG Lock Website.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Seems to me that it's not worth the time, effort, or money! I'll stick to using my stock seat belt!