Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wants Another "i Want To Boost Thread!"?
Hi everyone,
Well, the title sorta says it all.
I've gotten clearance from the other half to spend some coin on the car, I've got 0 experience with boost (either turbo or supercharge) but I do want to learn.
I'm searching/reading up as best I can, but would like to hear from some you guys who already took the plunge.
I'm looking to get close to the 200whp mark, and I've got about 6 grand to spend.
Currently, only mod is magnaflow catback.
I'd really to hear comparisons between turbo setups and the jrsc with bbk kit.
I'm really looking close at the jsrc bbk setup as it seems to be a good choice for a daily driver.

Please voice your opinions!!

P.S I've never driven a car with boost before.
Procharger: Removed, and waiting for new host.
Future: Genesis Coupe 2.0t.
First.........try and find someone near you who has boost and will take you for a spin. So where do you live?
Second, I have the JRSC, or my son does, and for a daily driver it's great. But 200whp with the JRSC is maybe pushing it.

Ask Kevin/Hardcore about his kit. It's out of the box 200whp.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Like Meford said find someone with a turbo... The first time I went for a drive in a turboed car it was Flofocus Focus and couple of month later I bought a roush turbo setup.
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
I'm in Mississauga, and would LOVE to take a spin in a boosted focus. :D
What are the rough hp estimates for a jsrc with bbk?
Also, if I were to go with a jsrc/bbk what else "should" I replace right off the bat?
I'm thinking clutch/lsd?? Anything else recommended?

Does Kevin/Hardcore make/sell a kit??
I'm sorta new around the boards so I'm not familiar with everyone hear yet :)
many on here don't agree with my view point.. i think your best bet from a daily driver/reliability standpoint is to get a vehicle that comes from the factory with the weight / power ratio you are looking for

also, if you are set on a turbo kit, i recommend purchasing a used, good condition setup to cut down on your costs. especially stuff like exhaust piping, intercooler.. great stuff to buy used since they pretty much don't wear out unless they rust or get hit
I respect all opinions, my idea for all of this, is that I bought my focus factory ordered, first and only car I've had since new after 18 years of driving :)
I really don't want to get into a used car scenario again if I can avoid it, but if I were going used, I'd end up with a 2005 Stang GT.
Yea, totally different style of car, but it would be my 3rd Mustang. :)
Is 6g's too little for a turbo setup?
For the record, I'm leaning towards the jsrc/bbk setup, but I certainly haven't decided anything yet.
I've made a turbo kit before, didn't exactly pan out because I cheaped out on most parts. Ended up selling what I had and got a VF supercharger.

For turbo, if you can get your hands on a roush kit and get a good dyno tune done on it you'll be very very happy with that kit for a daily driver.

I think 6G's is allot, but I know i've probably spent more than that over time. How bout you give me your 6g's and I give you my powertrain mods LOL :)

You going to come out to the massiv meet on Monday night? I'd be glad to give you a rip in my car should you stop by.

paulicat,Apr 10 2008, 06:45 PM Wrote:I'm in Mississauga, and would LOVE to take a spin in a boosted focus. :D
What are the rough hp estimates for a jsrc with bbk?
Also, if I were to go with a jsrc/bbk what else "should" I replace right off the bat?
I'm thinking clutch/lsd?? Anything else recommended?

Does Kevin/Hardcore make/sell a kit??
I'm sorta new around the boards so I'm not familiar with everyone hear yet :)
[right][snapback]261736[/snapback][/right]
You don't need to replace the clutch. Things you might want to replace are the cat., getting a tune/chip for the car when the system is in place, a good air induction sytem.

Go to the Massive meet on Monday and see Kevin for a rip. You'll by the kit the next day. It is by far a more impressive kit than the JRSC. I don't hate the JRSC, but IMO it's just not enough bang for the buck power.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Um, forgive me, but where and what is the massive meet? :unsure:
Lol, so your powertrain is suddenly for sale eh? :D

Yea, I've been hearing of the other kits like the steeda etc, but I suppose the actual locating of said kit is tough these days?
paulicat,Apr 10 2008, 10:06 PM Wrote:Um, forgive me, but where and what is the massive meet? :unsure:
Lol, so your powertrain is suddenly for sale eh? :D

Yea, I've been hearing of the other kits like the steeda etc, but I suppose the actual locating of said kit is tough these days?
[right][snapback]261747[/snapback][/right]

If the price is right anything is forsale hehehe :P My car is a little over 200whp so its going to give you a good expectation of what you'll get with 200whp. Be it the roush turbo, xios turbo, powerworks or VF kit, whatever other options still exist out there.

The Massiv meet is actually on the 21st, @ Dixie and Aimco
Thread: http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=23580
Is the Powerworks kit still available? If so I recommend this kit for a daily driver. I am making 208hp to the wheels with mine and save for the leaking oil filter relocation (fixed) I have had zero problems. The best part is the kit is complete including tuning (re-flashed ECU) and is basically install and go. Of course there are little things to iron out (previously mentioned oil leak, plus some idle issues). If you can spin a wrench and be without a car for a week (max) you can do it. And I am sure it is/war available for under $4000 to your door.
Set a budget because whatever setup you choose the actual kit aside you have to take in account labor and tuning that may also include dyno runs which are expensive. And turbo setups are not maintenance free. Some need a quite a bit of up keep. I would give Focus Sport a try they have a nice turbo setup for the duratec and Randy as far as I know is the best focus tuner around. I myself have the VF supercharger kit and from Focus Sport took me 5 days to get it installed because I could only work on it after work and I had a few problems to kink out. I just did my data logging and just waiting for Randy to send me the fine tune. Turbo or Supercharger I can say for a fact that their kits are well put togetherl, sent with a packing list so you know you have everything, shipped very neat and overall customer service and support are excellent.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
How about ZX3-2NV he's got a turbo set-up in his focus, plus I'm pretty sure he can direct you towards the shop that worked out his application. Mind you he's got a really crazy set-up I think he's pushing 300+. :o
I am a wrencher, so I was looking to do the install myself, and from all my reading, the supercharger kits are clearly the easier (more home mechanic friendly) setups to go with. They also seemed to be better suited for daily drivers.
I'm getting the impression from you guys that the supercharger route might be best suited for me.

I'll dig deeper into the supercharger...

Oh, does anyone sell these in Canada or is importing the only route?

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far, and please keep the input coming.
I know two Different companys that can get them here for you. as for daily driver set up I like the Vortech Supercharger kit. But I also has a precision Turbo kit that I daily drove for a couple of years except the winter. To tell you the truth if you want good horsepower number and relibility I would go with a Roush Kit and tune it with a SCT 3 and call it a day. If you have any questions ill be more than happy to anwser them just send me a PM i also have tons of conection with differnt things here in Toronto so if u need a dyno, a machine shop, tuner, Performance machnic, tool or parts let me know ive got a guy on everything
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Sent ya a pm ZX3_2NV ;)
I like focusonthis kit (rousch)...couple things I'd change/ad to get more out of that kit:

-Larger injectors
-Larger MAF
-You'll need a custom downpipe/cat
-different tuning (dont use roush's tune, spend the money on dyno time with SCT or something)

OR you can do everything yourself if you know a freind with a welder. I went this route (with the freind doing all the welding!), lots of bugs to work out, but if you have patience it can be quite an experience. Ups and downs, but worth it in the end. :D
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Apr 11 2008, 11:40 PM Wrote:I like focusonthis kit (rousch)...couple things I'd change/ad to get more out of that kit:

-Larger injectors
-Larger MAF
-You'll need a custom downpipe/cat
-different tuning (dont use roush's tune, spend the money on dyno time with SCT or something)

[right][snapback]261850[/snapback][/right]

Might do that this year... :D
Where can you get the rousch kit still??
Btw, my 2003 has the zetec.
paulicat,Apr 12 2008, 09:55 AM Wrote:Where can you get the rousch kit still??
Btw, my 2003 has the zetec.
[right][snapback]261857[/snapback][/right]

Any shop with a Keystone Account can get it....part# is R07090001. But, Im not sure if there still producing the kit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15"x7" Steel Wheels Anyone? LightAges 12 4,059 06-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Last Post: 2.0duratecpower
  High Quality yard sale over in "sell" forum jackpot 1 2,409 06-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Last Post: tdot-zx3