Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wants Another "i Want To Boost Thread!"?
naz,Apr 15 2008, 12:29 PM Wrote:
paulicat,Apr 15 2008, 01:13 AM Wrote:Nope, no track time for me at all. I want a daily driver that will be more "fun" :)
[right][snapback]262019[/snapback][/right]

picking up that '05 stang GT you mentioned in a previous post might be the way to go?
[right][snapback]262075[/snapback][/right]

I agree, and you do own the place you live?
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Im not talking about the NOS or other s*** octane booster when I drove down to ohio I took a few bottles of the Torco race fuel octane booster and the car ran perfectly. but yes octane boosters bought at crappy tire or gas stations I wouldn't trust. So pauli have you figured out what you wanna do yet I would luv to see another Turbo Focus on the streets theres enough supercharged guys kicking around already, and if you get this done before Aug will you come out to the race track to see what it does
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
CanadaSVT,Apr 17 2008, 11:36 AM Wrote:I agree, and you do own the place you live?
[right][snapback]262265[/snapback][/right]

Yes we do, and we're not moving either. :)
We just sank 20 grand into the backyard so that's outta the question.
I'm also looking for something different, a challenge, something new to learn.
And I want to do all that while keeping my focus.

<Edit>, posting at same time as you zx3_2nv. I'm fairly certain it will be turbo, however I'm not sure of the timeline. I want to get suspension out of the way before I go turbo. If I happen to stumble upon a used kit for a price I can't refuse I'll do it sooner rather than later. If I have to go all new, I can't say when.
By track time do you mean 1/4 mile or autocross etc?

Speaking of suspension, hurray, I get to deal with the crapass rear LCA seized bolts again. Already dealt with that crap on my wifes sedan... :angry:
Procharger: Removed, and waiting for new host.
Future: Genesis Coupe 2.0t.
go turbo with low boost. I'm guessin you've got a normal Zetec.... you're at a 9.?:1 compression ratio I'm pretty sure with the 2.0L Zetec vs 10.2:1 in the SVT Zetec

You can handle more boost than the regular SVT engine can (due to its high compression ratio) but keep in mind the weaknesses of these engines. Apparantly the SVT's weakness is its pistons whereas the 2.0L Zetec engines weakness is its valves I think.

Check focaljet... theres LOTS of posts about boosted foci on there that you can probably learn from. That being said... you could probably safely run an 8 - 10PSI turbo without changing anything other than getting a 91 octane tune. Shove a BOV on there to expell hot gases (and emit cool sound :D), a nice intercooler and you're golden!

Theres actually a guy on Focus Fanatics selling a T3 turbo for like $400 I think he was asking. Only thing about that is that It's not a ball bearing turbo. I plan on going boost on my SVT eventually on low boost, but I'd prefer to get a ball bearing turbo. Something to consider maybe. btw that T3 for sale on FF is brand new :)

Good luck with your boost application! Keep us posted (I'm always readin people's boost posts to know what to expect :))
Loyal Focus Owner!!!
First: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
Thanks SVTGuy02, I've been reading/soaking up everything I can regarding turbos and I won't stop until I'm comfortable with what needs to happen.
Honestly, I can't believe how much I've learned since I began considering boosting my focus.
THIS is the challenge/learning that I'm looking for.
Who knows, I might even get stupid enough to try and do the install myself, I am wrench friendly and after everything I've read, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that scares me about the install other than tapping into the oilpan for the return.
And yes, I'll take it for someone to tune afterwards.

<edit> whats everyones opinion on used turbo kits?
paulicat,Apr 17 2008, 07:18 PM Wrote:<edit> whats everyones opinion on used turbo kits?
[right][snapback]262294[/snapback][/right]

personally, i've looked at used parts for my sube. i think for downpipes, intercooler coupling, exhausts etc. those are awesome used since they are just pieces of metals

for turbo and injectors i'm a bit more leery of used. I'd buy those used only if there was a receipt for rebuilt or original install date
SVTGuy02,Apr 17 2008, 03:08 PM Wrote:but keep in mind the weaknesses of these engines. Apparantly the SVT's weakness is its pistons whereas the 2.0L Zetec engines weakness is its valves I think.

[right][snapback]262293[/snapback][/right]

Uhhh...you sure about that? I thought the SVT block was signficantly stronger than the zetec.

And the zetec weak point is the piston and rods, lots of guys running high boost with forged block and stock head. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
i was always under the impression that valves become a weakness if you are trying to make the motor rev higher, not if you are trying to boost it

i can't find the math but apparently the percent increase in the forces that the rods and pistons feel is much higher from high revs than from boost.. like.. i think the example the boost used was if you took a motor and tried to rev from 7000 to 7500 you will put more added forces on the rods/pistons than if you boosted the motor and kept the original 7000 rev lmit....
With my expectations of 200 or less whp, from all I've read, the stock zetec parts are handling this power range just fine. Am I reading incorrectly?
Could someone give me some rough numbers on a turbo rebuild?
I've found someone who's got a full turbo kit minus mafia/chip/tune for a very reasonable price. It would be coming with new 60lb injectors.
T3 Super 60 turbo, plus all charge piping/downpipe/bov/wastegate/air filter.
Anyone have opinions on this?
paulicat,Apr 17 2008, 11:50 PM Wrote:With my expectations of 200 or less whp, from all I've read, the stock zetec parts are handling this power range just fine. Am I reading incorrectly?
Could someone give me some rough numbers on a turbo rebuild?
I've found someone who's got a full turbo kit minus mafia/chip/tune for a very reasonable price. It would be coming with new 60lb injectors.
T3 Super 60 turbo, plus all charge piping/downpipe/bov/wastegate/air filter.
Anyone have opinions on this?
[right][snapback]262323[/snapback][/right]

i think everyone with a turbo focus who posted is at that power level, so ya, seems like its fine.

in subaru world it costs $349 to rebuild the stock TD04 and $449 if you want the turbine outlet ported at the same time.

personally, if i was shopping for a used kit, i would get one from a manufacturer that is known not to have any fitment issues. i would also want the bypass valve to recirculate into the intake manifold and not dump out air into the atmosphere
Thanks for the info naz, yes, this one is coming off a focus so fitment "shouldn't" be a big issue.
Also, the bypass valve you mentioned, same thing as blowoff valve right? If so, then this kit has it rerouted back into intake and not out to atmosphere.
Anything else I should look for?
paulicat,Apr 18 2008, 01:13 AM Wrote:Thanks for the info naz, yes, this one is coming off a focus so fitment "shouldn't" be a big issue.
[right][snapback]262331[/snapback][/right]

is this kit a custom one or an off the shelf one?

research to make sure the kit doesn't have issue.. sometimes stuff doesn't fit quite right and the maker has to make subtle changes to the kit over time

minor detail, but try to get the seller to give you all of the lines and fittings too as well as the oil pan with the return line tapped. the less you have to source yourself the less of a PITA it will be!!

if the kit comes with a FMIC ask specifically if the bumper cover or other components need to be trimmed

Im fairly certain its a custom kit.
Yes, the bumper will need to be removed, the underneath of the bumper would end up looking like flofocus' ;)
paulicat,Apr 17 2008, 01:31 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Apr 17 2008, 11:36 AM Wrote:I agree, and you do own the place you live?
[right][snapback]262265[/snapback][/right]

Yes we do, and we're not moving either. :)
We just sank 20 grand into the backyard so that's outta the question.
I'm also looking for something different, a challenge, something new to learn.
And I want to do all that while keeping my focus.

<Edit>, posting at same time as you zx3_2nv. I'm fairly certain it will be turbo, however I'm not sure of the timeline. I want to get suspension out of the way before I go turbo. If I happen to stumble upon a used kit for a price I can't refuse I'll do it sooner rather than later. If I have to go all new, I can't say when.
By track time do you mean 1/4 mile or autocross etc?

Speaking of suspension, hurray, I get to deal with the crapass rear LCA seized bolts again. Already dealt with that crap on my wifes sedan... :angry:
[right][snapback]262289[/snapback][/right]

i'll be selling my suspension soon
KYB AGX's and KW springs
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
One question I forgot to ask through all of this, for the guys with turbos, are you still passing the emissions test for Ontario easily??
Ok guys, im very seriously considering a used procharger kit.
Please voice opinions soon :D
paulicat,Apr 18 2008, 10:09 AM Wrote:One question I forgot to ask through all of this, for the guys with turbos, are you still passing the emissions test for Ontario easily??
[right][snapback]262377[/snapback][/right]

I pass emissions and safety with flying colors.
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
i know this thread is probably dead but whatever,

i live Hamilton, and drive a turbo 01 focus day to day, its a great car. if you want to come down some time and go for a spin let me know and well meet up.

ive driven a few turbo cars and i must say that the zetec engine truly comes to life with some boost. The zetec engine loves booost.

as for the turbo or supercharge discussion. the debate will never end.

when i turbo'd my car i was just like you i had no concept oh how turbo's, but with some help and a lot of reading i turbo'd my car myself. its really not that hard, its all just basic mechanics.

send me a e-mail when you want to come down or need some guidance with boost. ill be more than happy to help.

and remember it doesn't take a s*** load of money to make your car fast, just some knowledge.

e-mail : kamil@solidpro.com
[Image: forumn-stuffcopy.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15"x7" Steel Wheels Anyone? LightAges 12 4,059 06-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Last Post: 2.0duratecpower
  High Quality yard sale over in "sell" forum jackpot 1 2,409 06-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Last Post: tdot-zx3