Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Roof Rack
Is this an easy thing to do? I've found some places where people said you have to remove the headliner and I was like are you kidding me? I assume there are some theaded inserts in the roof and that i would have to cover them over somehow to prevent them from rusting? Anyone, Bueller

Thanks
You'll want to get in touch with Jeremy (j3rt)
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
you need to get a 'roof rack delete' piece that you put in place of the roof rack for the very reason you described. and yes the head liner must be removed.

its a biatch and the reason my WRX retained its roof racks.
There are 4 or 5 torx20 head bolts holding each rail to the roof. No need to pull the headliner. Each bolt had a sort of stamped nut in the roof steel. I removed my roof rack ages ago. I simply screwed the bolts back into the nut (and covered the threads in RTV silicone for water tightness). Ya, the roof is not all smooth, and has 10 bolt heads visible, but no roof rails and associated wind noise.
One thing I did learn that I should pass on is about the bolts/screws. The have a small unthreaded tip to guide them into the nut. Cut or grind that tip off. The bolts are a bit too long without the rail and cause an ever so slight dimple. I think they hit a roof strut or something underneath.

That's the easy way, there are folks who wanted a completely smooth finisth and had the associated body work done.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you some pics.
j3rt,May 3 2008, 11:01 AM Wrote:There are 4 or 5 torx20 head bolts holding each rail to the roof.  No need to pull the headliner.  Each bolt had a sort of stamped nut in the roof steel.  I removed my roof rack ages ago.  I simply screwed the bolts back into the nut (and covered the threads in RTV silicone for water tightness).  Ya, the roof is not all smooth, and has 10 bolt heads visible, but no roof rails and associated wind noise.
One thing I did learn that I should pass on is about the bolts/screws.  The have a small unthreaded tip to guide them into the nut.  Cut or grind that tip off.  The bolts are a bit too long without the rail and cause an ever so slight dimple.  I think they hit a roof strut or something underneath.

That's the easy way, there are folks who wanted a completely smooth finisth and had the associated body work done.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you some pics.
[right][snapback]263505[/snapback][/right]

Cheers Bro, pm sent

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing mildew from rubber roof strip Krusty Driver 8 4,002 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Krusty Driver