Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Some Help On Tires.
I'm in need of some new rubber for the Focus.

I am looking @ Falken 615, but ETA is 6-8 weeks. They have Falken 452's that can be ordered in a day, anybody any experience with these tires?

Also I see that a 40 series tire is about 2-3 lb lighter than the 45's I have now, i'd live with the smaller look tire if it means a little performance gain. Are there any other drawbacks other than looks and speedo showing slightly higher km than actual?
You'll be fine on a 40 series tire. I've been running a 40 series tire during the summer since I bought the Gold Focus. You'll be fine.

I use a 205/40ZR17 tire and they're awesome. Just make sure that your rims are bulletproof cause potholes can do a good number on 40 series tires.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Huge comfort difference between 40 and 45. I felt everything in the road with 40, but with 45 it got much better.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
when i 'talk tire' with HDPE guys the general consensus seems to be that Falken 452 is very much a commuting oriented street tire similar to the Kumho 712 or Kumho SPT.

I haven't personally used the Falken 452 but I've used Kumho 712 and I think you have used RT615 in the past you will be extremely disappointed with the 452/Kumho 712 type tire

there will be very little grip. on the up side, they have a 300 treadwear rating and so will last forever

personally, i would ride on the wear bars and wait fo the RT615s or go with bridgestone RE01Rs... or if a low performance tire like falken 452 is acceptable to you, try kumho MX. they have good grip (much better than falken 452/kumho 712 but less than RT615) are not heat sensitive, and have an 'in between' sidewall that isn't RT615 stiff but isn't 452/kumho 712 soft either

bottom line... commuter car.. 452 are fine.. HPDE/autoX car.. wait to get real tires
Where are you getting the tires from?
I have to agree with Naz, that unless your commuting with it everyday......and with that Hummer of yours, I don't think you will be, :rolleyes: I would either call a few more Falken dealers, or wait for the tires you want.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
My mom owns a tire shop, but they usually only deal with truck tires. They can get a good deal on Falkens.

Right now I've got a set of Nexen N3000's, I think ANYTHING is better than these POS tires.

I do think I will hold out for the 615's, I drive in a srt-4 with a set of these and was impressed with the grip. Still debating the 40/45 series rubber....too many decisions :P

hardk0re,May 26 2008, 09:49 PM Wrote:My mom owns a tire shop, but they usually only deal with truck tires.  They can get a good deal on Falkens. 

Right now I've got a set of Nexen N3000's, I think ANYTHING is better than these POS tires. 

I do think I will hold out for the 615's, I drive in a srt-4 with a set of these and was impressed with the grip.  Still debating the 40/45 series rubber....too many decisions :P
[right][snapback]265159[/snapback][/right]
I'll be needin' tires too, soon............... :blink: Can Mom get me a deal too?
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
hardk0re,May 26 2008, 07:49 PM Wrote: 

they have to be better than any good year tire. these atre really bad
zetec crew #200
If you can chop your own wood you will warm yourself twice
Zetec: Its always on
oldeguy,May 27 2008, 02:39 AM Wrote:
hardk0re,May 26 2008, 09:49 PM Wrote:My mom owns a tire shop, but they usually only deal with truck tires.  They can get a good deal on Falkens. 

I do think I will hold out for the 615's, I drive in a srt-4 with a set of these and was impressed with the grip.  Still debating the 40/45 series rubber....too many decisions :P
[right][snapback]265159[/snapback][/right]
I'll be needin' tires too, soon............... :blink: Can Mom get me a deal too?
[right][snapback]265162[/snapback][/right]

wow.. that's great. i wish i had that kind of hook up for tires!

i think you should stick with the OE size.. the smaller tire gives you a slight gearing advantage, which i guess might matter if you are in timed competition.. however as other have said there is less rubber protecting the wheel from bumps. also your car will look like it has more fender gap.. i dont think comfort will change that much since RT615 have stiff sidewalls so 40 and 45 will both feel 'stiff'
order them on tirerack and have them shipped to the states to an installer. The tires i got, over here they cost $105 a tire. I bought all 4 and had them installed and after tax, duty, shipping, AND installation and currency exchange(lost about $7 on that) it came to $308.24. :P . And they rock too :) ,best tire i've ever had (although this is only my 4th set lol).
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
I don't see falkens on tirerack.com :blink:
Go with Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport or BFG G-Force T/A KDW 2.

Bridgestones

BFGs
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
word.. i have never been able to get falkens on tirerack

http://www.vulcantire.com is where i buy my RT615s (and RT215 back in the day!)
http://www.1010tires.com/ is a Canadian site and they have Falken's on special :)
I am in the same situation.. looking for RT-615 but not sure.. They are only available in 205-50-15 which i have used before (azenis 215) but also felt the 205-55 (hankook rs2 z212) were less stiff. I mean its not just the size but the tire too but im wondering if i should stick with 205-55 or 50 is still fine.

Can we use 215 with the stock (2000) 15" wheels? I've seen on focaljet the diameter thread and saw that 215 is listed but I'm not sure.. the rt-215 looked a bit wide with 205 even so i wonder about 215.

Anyone use 215 on 15 inch? Hell they even mention 225 .. sounds a bit overkill to me but.. What about with the eibach sport kit ?

thanks guys.. if i know these will all work "well" (or at least closest to 24.2" would be better), I'll get more choices at least cause 205-55 is pretty limited

195/60-15...24.2" OE size
205/55-15...23.9"
205/50-15...23.0"
215/50-15...23.4"
215/55-15...24.3"
225/50-15...24.0"
ZX3T gone..
i would check on the wheel width and see if the tire is rated for that width wheel. i think the focus 15" wheel is 5.5" and i think 6" is the narrowest wheel you can use with a 225 width azenis

also azenis do run wide so 215 and up might be tight esp if you are lowered
naz,May 28 2008, 02:58 PM Wrote:i would check on the wheel width and see if the tire is rated for that width wheel. i think the focus 15" wheel is 5.5" and i think 6" is the narrowest wheel you can use with a 225 width azenis

also azenis do run wide so 215 and up might be tight esp if you are lowered
[right][snapback]265353[/snapback][/right]

Thanks.. ended up with Kumho Ecsta SPT 205-55-15.. :( Not that they are bad or anything but i didn't think the others would be so popular that i couldn't find them at all..back ordered. Oh well maybe ill get more than 1.5 summers on these ... maybe ;)
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,May 29 2008, 06:20 PM Wrote:Thanks.. ended up with Kumho Ecsta SPT  205-55-15.. :(  Not that they are bad or anything but i didn't think the others would be so popular that i couldn't find them at all..back ordered. Oh well maybe ill get more than 1.5 summers on these ... maybe ;)
[right][snapback]265432[/snapback][/right]

according to the kumho marketing literature the SPT "provide enthusiastic drivers the ability to "Drive Hard 'Go Big' Look Good."

notice that 'go fast' is not a priority?

they are good tires for everyday driving and i'm sure you will not find them lacking unless you are a track user. with a treadwear rating of 340 you should be able to get like 3-4yr out of those tires no matter what you do to them