Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripping, Painting, And Installing Zx3 Skirts
Ok, so I picked up a set of ZX3 skirts a couple years ago. You know the black ones that came stock on a 2000 and 2001 ZX3. Well here is the deal, they are yellow like Frost's car and that aint gonna cut it. They need to be stripped and repainted Liquid Grey. What do you think the best way to do it, on a budget? What kind of chemical stripper can I use or should I just lay the elbow grease to them?

Also, there are around 10 or so clips on the inside of the skirts that go into holes on the ZX3 rocker pannels. Obviously I am not going to drill into my rockers, so how have any of you that have added these to your cars done it? I see the bolts that I can use at the front and rear, also I think there are a couple underneath. Do I use adhesive silicone or 3M double sided tape.

The mounting part isn't as important right now as the stripping so that is my main project ATM. So any tips would be of great help.

Thanks in advance
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
sand paper is your friend..

chemical stripper is going to eat up plastic..

silicone adhesive is enough..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
True dat. B) Also one or two screws underneeth wouldn't hurt if you can. I've seen so many cars this year with the side skirts ripped off from the snow lol. Though my own heat-shield has come off at the rear of the car. Good luck Kev
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Ok, thanks guys. But the stripping part. I guess I would be using a long board and sand paper but what grit paper should I start with? I do not want to start to aggressive but the pre painted surface does have a lot of cracks in it. Also what should I do regarding the painting. Custom mixed rattle cans from somewhere, or see if I can pick up the paint from CTC. I know I should take these to a body shop for paint but I wanna do this for a cheap as possible. These will just be getting stones thrown at them and pretty much mounted under the car. What do you think?

Hmm? I'm just using 100 to start then a 200, then I laid down a sandable black primer, then used a 280 or 300 then the paint for the FS lip and Rear wing I've been working on for the summer/carshow. But don't trust me I just dick around with spray cans. I don't have the abillity to use a paint gun yet &lt;_&lt;.
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

Don't you think that starting with a 100 Grit sandpaper is a bit corse? I was thinking maybe a 150 or higher. I would hate to score the plastic. But I really have no experience to go on. Time to use the old trial and error method. :blink:

I put them on my sedan. Mine were still black, so I left them as is.

As far as mounting, there are two bolts at the back of each side you can use, and then the front inner-fender retaining bolt too. I then used some 3/8&quot; wide 3M double sided tape to stick them on better on the top of the rocker panel (under the door). So far, so good!

One thing to note, you'll need to either modify the skirts or use the inner-fender retainer from a ZX3 to hold them on at the front. The one for a non-skirt car is shorter, so it doesn't snap in as it should. :) I used a utility knife and trimmed it a little on each side to hold on better.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
reldridge,Feb 17 2009, 03:24 PM Wrote:One thing to note, you'll need to either modify the skirts or use the inner-fender retainer from a ZX3 to hold them on at the front. The one for a non-skirt car is shorter, so it doesn't snap in as it should. :) I used a utility knife and trimmed it a little on each side to hold on better.

Ryan
[right][snapback]281287[/snapback][/right]

I am not sure I follow you. Maybe I will once I go to install them. Will I need to trim the inner fender liner or the skirt cap on the front end? These are a little rough as they have been on and off another Focus a couple times as they have been painted yellow. I would think they were on a ZX3 as all of the little clips along the inside of the skirt were intact.

What would you think about putting some rivets in along the seam where the rockers meet the floor? You know along where the jacking points are, good idea or bad idea? But that is something I can worry about when it gets warmer. I need to sand, prep and paint them first.

I wouldn't worry about drilling holes. That will just invite rust, especially since the lip is so small.

On the bottom of my rocker panels, I already had holes drilled. it looked to me like my car was drilled for body bolts to hold on the skirts. I didn't use them though. Between the existing bolts and 2-sided tape, it worked well.

Ryan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here are where the bolts are...

Red is torx head bolts, yellow is the push-in body fastener.

[Image: skirtbolt.jpg]

Sorry, it's the best side view of a Focus I could find. :D

Also, Wings West's instructions show a little.

http://www.wingswest.com/catalog/images/00...YP%20insta_.pdf

Ryan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
reldridge,Feb 19 2009, 09:41 AM Wrote:[Image: skirtbolt.jpg]
[right][snapback]281368[/snapback][/right]

Dude my car is going to look like that after I install these skirts? Why didn't I do this earlier? :lol:

Thanks for the pic. I am sure it is going to help when it comes time to put them on.

Focus man, Focus.,Feb 19 2009, 10:37 PM Wrote:Dude my car is going to look like that after I install these skirts?&nbsp; Why didn't I do this earlier?&nbsp; :lol:

If it was only that easy! :lol:

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well on another topic, I picked up Nik's set of Euro Grills on Sunday and started installing them on my ZX5. I have only installed the upper so far and I am quite impressed as to how it is coming out. I haven't taken any pictures of my progress as of yet but I will fill you in.

The upper grill is actually quite easy to get on as there are 2 less bolts used on the European version. I cut up my stock grill to mount the turn signals in behind the Euro one. I don't really like that but I do not have the Mach or E-Bay style headlights with the built in turn signals. But it does look nice. Nik's Euro Grill had the Ford emblem worn off so I modified my badge to fit. It is a little bit smaller than the one that came off but it still fits quite nicely.

For the lower I had to trade Nik my stock lower for his Euro but I have the pieces to re-install my fog lights that Nik provided. Now I just need to find the time to lay down on the driveway and get it in there. I also have a new lower rad shield that I need to install while I am under there. This would be a lot easier if it were warmer but what can we do about that?

A new thread will be started once the job is complete and I have pictures to add.

Sounds cool. For your signals you should get some of those orange LED lights from truck stop like the Husly or Fifthwheel. Very bright and original.

Scorcher000,Feb 23 2009, 10:08 PM Wrote:Sounds cool. For your signals you should get some of those orange LED lights from truck stop like the Husly or Fifthwheel. Very bright and original.
[right][snapback]281582[/snapback][/right]

those look like s***, not to mention if you wire them up with out the correct relay they will flash fast, like when a light bulb is burnt out.

If anything look for some stock OEM European headlights Kev, I know you can get a set of 2002 facelift lights in the silver from the &quot;forbidden site&quot; (lol) for about $300 CAD, but I'd highly recommend getting them shipped over night as you'll get them in about 3 days, and you'll actually get them in perfect shape. I think shipping on my ST's were about $115 back then.. should not be too much now I think. On the plus side the OEM european lights are better looking and have a fantasic lighting, not to mention the intergrated signel. Since you have the 98 trend grille from nik, you should concider the European CAI cover as it is designed to direct air into your intake, and fit over the grille better then the american one.

lol also thanks for the mention in the OP lol :lol:
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Frost__2001,Feb 24 2009, 09:50 AM Wrote:
Scorcher000,Feb 23 2009, 10:08 PM Wrote:Sounds cool. For your signals you should get some of those orange LED lights from truck stop like the Husly or Fifthwheel. Very bright and original.
[right][snapback]281582[/snapback][/right]

those look like s***, not to mention if you wire them up with out the correct relay they will flash fast, like when a light bulb is burnt out.

If anything look for some stock OEM European headlights Kev, I know you can get a set of 2002 facelift lights in the silver from the &quot;forbidden site&quot; (lol) for about $300 CAD, but I'd highly recommend getting them shipped over night as you'll get them in about 3 days, and you'll actually get them in perfect shape. I think shipping on my ST's were about $115 back then.. should not be too much now I think. On the plus side the OEM european lights are better looking and have a fantasic lighting, not to mention the intergrated signel. Since you have the 98 trend grille from nik, you should concider the European CAI cover as it is designed to direct air into your intake, and fit over the grille better then the american one.

lol also thanks for the mention in the OP lol :lol:
[right][snapback]281595[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I am trying to stay away from spending more money than I have to. With the baby and a 7 year old and a wife on Mat Leave, things are a little tight. I can live with the way it is for the time being. Maybe a set of lights will come up for sale here in the near future. But I can not justify to the wife that I need to spend $400+ on a new set of headlights when mine are doing fine ATM.

As for the CAI, I have a K&amp;N Typhoon intake and there is no need for the snorkle. It just sucks air from around the engine. I still have my stock one in there and it isn't hooked up to anything. Not sure if it actually helps or not, but I am not to concerned about it. It just sounds nice. :P

I know that most look like s*** but I wasn't talking about those, I was talking about these with built in relays.
[Image: 6x2_in_clear_marker.gif]

Scorcher000,Feb 24 2009, 11:26 AM Wrote:I know that most look like s*** but I wasn't talking about those, I was talking about these with built in relays.
[Image: 6x2_in_clear_marker.gif]
[right][snapback]281598[/snapback][/right]

But can these be made to function as a park and turn signal? I am familiar with the non-LED version that comes in Amber but they only have one function and cannot be set up to use as a park/turn signal. Unless of course you wire in some diodes and a relay to make it think it is a dual filament bulb.

They should because they are used as a park and signal on the trucks so.. it's just an idea.

Try not to use too coarse of sand paper on your skirts, it will turn the plastic &quot;furry&quot; when you try to prime it. I would use 220-240grit paper to feather out the chips and scratches, as long as the rest of the paint is in good shape and not pealing or anything I would just scuff it with 320 and prime it. For primer use Plastic coat grey self etching primer, I find it works very well for a rattle can primer. Ill try and get a part # for the primer. Then scuff them with 400-600 grit paper and top coat them.