Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripping, Painting, And Installing Zx3 Skirts
QWKRN-U,Feb 28 2009, 09: Wrote:Try not to use too coarse of sand paper on your skirts, it will turn the plastic "furry" when you try to prime it. I would use 220-240grit paper to feather out the chips and scratches, as long as the rest of the paint is in good shape and not pealing or anything I would just scuff it with 320 and prime it. For primer use Plastic coat  grey self etching primer, I find it works very well for a rattle can primer. Ill try and get a part # for the primer. Then scuff them with 400-600 grit paper and top coat them.
[right][snapback]281884[/snapback][/right]

That was the info I was looking for. Thanks man!
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
NP man, glad I could help. Thats what I do for living. Ill get the part # for that primer tomorrow when Im at work. I highly recomend you give it a try.
The part # is 470 and its Plasti-kote grey etching primer. I get it from NAPA, not sure if CT sells it or not.
Lol he works at NAPA.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

LMAO that should make it pretty easy to get. :lol:
LOL I used to work at NAPA. Now I work for Castrol. But I still have my connections. Well I have started on the prep and things are going well. Slow but well. I am hand sanding everything and the 3M paper seems to be getting clogged up quickly. Although by bending the paper it just falls off. Here is my progress so far.

Before

[Image: PICT0001.jpg]

[Image: PICT0002.jpg]

After

[Image: PICT0004.jpg]

[Image: PICT0005.jpg]

I do have a lot more to do but it is coming along nicely. I should be able to get these on at some point this spring if everything goes as planned.

i have that exact side skirts pulled out from my car..
non painted...it is missing front portion..

you can pick it up if you want to..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
konafocuswrc,Mar 8 2009, 06:43 PM Wrote:i have that exact side skirts pulled out from my car..
non painted...it is missing front portion..

you can pick it up if you want to..
[right][snapback]282307[/snapback][/right]

You have a pair of skirts for a ZX3 that aren't painted, only missing the front caps? I feel like I just wasted an afternoon sanding. I will take them! Where are you located? Markham or something right?

I'm pretty sure you'd still have to sand them as they have a texture to them that would have to be smoothed down before painting
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
but still easier to sand down textures..

i m in toronto king + dufferin..or etobicoke sherway garden..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
QWKRN-U,Feb 28 2009, 09: Wrote:Try not to use too coarse of sand paper on your skirts, it will turn the plastic &quot;furry&quot; when you try to prime it. I would use 220-240grit paper to feather out the chips and scratches, as long as the rest of the paint is in good shape and not pealing or anything I would just scuff it with 320 and prime it. For primer use Plastic coat&nbsp; grey self etching primer, I find it works very well for a rattle can primer. Ill try and get a part # for the primer. Then scuff them with 400-600 grit paper and top coat them.
[right][snapback]281884[/snapback][/right]
This guys advice...............right on the $$$
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Thanks mefordf4u. Keep us updated with pics, even if you use the other skirts. Your doin a fine job on the yellow ones though.
Can you save some time by renting a hand-sander from Home Depot? Or would that sander be too rough on the skirt? Just trying to find a way that would make it easier for you.
Yup a dual action palm sander would work, they are fairly cheap too under $40.