Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension Issue
I have a 2000 Wagon that has developed a bad case of the wiggles!!! I have noticed lately that when i hit a pothole or a bump, even mild, the car will tend to "wiggle" (yes this is a highly technical term, so says my 8 year old!!) in the rear from side to side. I had a quick look under it today and the only thing i really see out of the norm is the rear sway bar link bushings seem worn. The links aren't broken, but the rubber bushings are deformed. Has anyone else run across this "wiggle" issue? Any ideas on the solution??
chromehorse,May 3 2009, 05:44 PM Wrote:I have a 2000 Wagon that has developed a bad case of the wiggles!!!  I have noticed lately that when i hit a pothole or a bump, even mild, the car will tend to "wiggle" (yes this is a highly technical term, so says my 8 year old!!) in the rear from side to side.  I had a quick look under it today and the only thing i really see out of the norm is the rear sway bar link bushings seem worn.  The links aren't broken, but the rubber bushings are deformed.  Has anyone else run across this "wiggle" issue?  Any ideas on the solution??
[right][snapback]286428[/snapback][/right]

How many km ... when was the last time you replaced springs / shocks etc.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
The car is pushing 250 Kms!! :blink: I haven't had it too long, so i don't know for sure if or when the shocks/springs have been replaced. Although i did look at them today...the springs do look like they have been replaced at some point...still shiney for the most part. Actually it surprised me to see that!! The shocks on the other hand might be OE. They have a plastic shroud on them which i imagine the aftermarket wouldn't do. With this in mind, i did the "bounce" test and the car settled immediately, and i checked the tires for cupping and found none and the shocks have no stains from leaking. Which leads me to believe that they are fine...maybe!! :lol: Are any of the control arm or trailing arm bushings known for going at all?
check your end links to make sure they aren't broken or loose. my car "diddn't" wiggle, but it did handle like a waterbed. :lol:
In addition to what ANTHONYD said , I would suggest to drive the car having someone else following you to see if your wheels arent' bouncing like basket balls when you get over pot holes or uneven pavement . If they are , that's a clear case of shocks gone bad . When your wheels don't have constant contact with the road , your car won't have a constant straight course .
have you had your car aligned recently?
many times that wiggle in the back can be caused by the toe being off spec.
as you may know, the focus rear suspension has that "control blade" which dynamicly changes the toe-in under suspension compression, which is why, when u hit a bump, the toe changes momentarily and the car scoots sideways a bit. this effect is often more noticable in inclement weather. This is alwso why you must get an alignment after putting on lowering springs.

the spec for toe in the rear is from 1/8" toe in to 0 toe in. (or u can be like me and put 1/16" toe out for extra rotation during auto-x). one advantage to setting the toe to 0 is that if you load extra wieght in the car, the toe may still stay in spec, but if ur at 1/8" the extra weight will put the toe past it (due to the control blade effect)
'04 liquid grey ZX3 - my FSP auto-x car
'02 infra-red SVT  - my street car, now for sale
I'm thinking end-links. I just tightened mine up, and it got rid of any rear 'wiggle' that I had going over bumps.

I have the TRW end links from Partsource, about $16 a piece.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Thanks guys. I am going to change out those endlinks for sure, i don't like the look of them anyway.

theNorm..Yeah, i was leaning towards the alignment being the issue. I have never had the car aligned, and by the condition of the car when i got it, it probably has never been done.

I found a front ball joint just starting to go, so i am going to replace that as well. I figure i might swap out the shocks and struts at the same time, give the old girl a new life. Any suggestions on brands or deals? I don't want to spend a boatload, but i don't really want crap either!!! :)
chromehorse,May 6 2009, 01:38 PM Wrote:Any suggestions on brands or deals?  I don't want to spend a boatload, but i don't really want crap either!!! :)
[right][snapback]286724[/snapback][/right]

Check the classifieds. The KW + cut wagon springs would work well! :D

If you want to go stock, I'd just buy the Munroe pre-assembled strut assemblies and pop them in. New bearings and mounting plates and all! Then just get the matched rear stuff.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Yeah i noticed that KW stuff there!!! B) Might be an option!!
I've got a set of stock wagon shock/springs. They've got 40K tops, I installed aftermarket right after getting my '02 wagon new.
Shoot me an offer if your interested.
Grease the bushing of the sway bar there are two (swaybar goes through them) and replace your endlinks if you said they are worn. That's what often causes the symptoms you are describing.