Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saskatchewan SVT-WGN
[Image: aw2fk7.jpg] SVT-WGN

This is the old guy at Carlisle. My son, his friend (and friend's wife) and I have just returned back to Saskatchewan after a road trip to Carlisle Pennsylvania (over 4300 mile round trip) to attend the Ford Nationals. One thing no-one will ever be able to accuse us of is having a trailer queen. This road trip was to debug the SVT-WGN. With only a few minor burps, the trip was uneventful. While cars are appliances, this is one that is a lot of fun to drive.

The Focus wagon was converted by my son (with help from his friends and money from the dad) from a five speed manual 2002 Focus SE Wagon to a six speed unique vehicle. Yes, it is a six-speed manual wagon, with SVT suspension components; disc brakes and H&R lowering springs. The instrumentation is all SVT. The roof rack was removed, and the windows were tinted. Other additions include the HID headlights.

Planned for the future:
  • Install SVT front bumper (purchased on this road trip)
  • Install SVT rocker panels (salvaged from wrecked SVT)
  • Install rear spoiler (probably West wing style)
  • Install a double DIN sound system with GPS (can't have us old guys getting lost)
  • Install better seating (if we can find cheap Recaros - i.e. another wreck/write-off)
  • Install different wheels (preferably the fifteen spoke SVT style in dark grey)

This will continue to be a project car. Will it ever be finished? Probably not.

Below are some photos taken in Toronto where we met with a group of Focus owners. Thank you for a very interesting evening.

[Image: 2vd2vqu.jpg]

[Image: 15cncz9.jpg]

[Image: 2h3wzut.jpg]

[Image: 2e6ftl1.jpg]
Man o man my engine is dirty.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
It was great to meet you and your group - thanks for going so far out of your way to come and meet us and show us the results of all the hard work.

Hope to see you again sometime and I hope you can find the time to post here regularly.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
To ZTW squared:
Be careful what you ask for; once started, I am difficult to shut off.

To Focus man. Focus.:
No apologies. Your car is in use. I am more impressed with someone who uses their vehicle, than in who has the shiniest baubles. By the same token, no matter how fast you can go, there is always someone out there with more money who can go faster. This is not a rationalization, but he who gets the biggest bang for his buck is far more impressive to me. Which is why we drove nearly 7000 kilometres in SVT-WGN with only a few minor problems.
[Image: 2cg07k7.jpg]
Andrew (my son) and Eric trying to figure out why HID headlights are going out.

[Image: ics9yv.jpg]
Andrew (underneath) is swapping the ballasts for the HID to help determine if the problem is a bad ballast.

[Image: 34ypr3b.jpg]
Finished swapping ballasts. Hooking up bulbs.

First problem limited how fast we could take the corners. The tires rubbed on the inside edge of the fenders. Solution? Slow down. We have a fender rim roller tool that will be put to use this winter to increase the clearance. Second problem was our right HID headlights would turn off at random. Seems I purchased some cheap ballasts. However living in the land of the midnight sun, this is not a big problem. Again, this will be solved this coming winter with the installation of new ballasts and bulbs. Note: The other "bugs" washed off.
Yes it was very nice to meet all of you. Sorry I came late to the Massiv Meet. I'm usually one of the first there lol.

Wish I made the trip with you but there is always next year...

If you find a Double din system you like and need some Nav software I have the Latest Igo 8 software with all detailed Canada and USA States.

Keep in touch.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Very nice wagon that you have there. What part of Sask are you from, I'm up in Saskatoon with my SVTF
'03 Focus SVT
Thank you. We are located in Humboldt, and are good friends with InsaneAudio who resides in Muenster. We have now put on nearly 10,000 kilometres since the "unveiling" a couple of months ago. Of course, nearly 7,000 kilometres was the drive to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, but as we have said before, this ain't no trailer queen. It was built to be driven. We have found a few bugs (not the flying kind) and have pretty good ideas on how to eliminate them. These will wait until winter. At that time we have some body panels to install (rocker panels, front bumper fascia), and a probable repaint. With luck, that will all be complete by next Easter. Keep your eyes open, we are in Saskatoon about once a week, usually along eighth street or SGI Salvage or ...
I have some family that lives in Annahiem. PM me your contact info next time your in Sktoon, or I'm out in that area we could meet up.
'03 Focus SVT
lol, I have family in Annaheim too. We will have to meet up sometime. I noticed your mom drives a 5 door svt as well.

2006 Focus ZX3/svt wannabe-Pitch Black
2008 Focus SES Sedan/grocery getter-Vista Blue
My usual excuse for not doing something is procrastination (which comes with old age.) Thank you Focus Canada. This is not false modesty, but old age and experience that says there are much nicer and better cars (Focus) out there. On other forums (I am also on TSOC - Taurus Sable Owners Club) car owners nominate themselves, list reasons why they deserve the award (CotM) then the rest of us vote. For your information, SVT-WGN was well received on that forum (see http://www.taurusowners.com/topic/2258-b...ge__st__20).

Here, not only did we not promote ourselves, the first I learned of becoming Car of the Month was when I attempted to log on to Focus Canada via my cell phone last week (we are on the road again). Imagine my surprise (very pleasant indeed) on seeing SVT-WGN as July Car of the Month. Once again, thank you.

Bear with me and allow me to throw out a suggestion. Why not prepare a "Print-your-own-award-certificate" which Focus Canada could e-mail to the winning recipients. Such a virtual award could serve multiple purposes.
  • First: The only cost would be taking the time to fill it out and e-mail it.
  • Second: Winning cars could (if they wanted) print it out on any colour printer and frame it for themselves.
  • Third: This would provide additional advertising for Focus Canada membership. (The certificate would display the URL for Focus Canada which non-members could locate and log-on. Include a QR-code on the certificate for easy access.)
  • Fourth: Even if someone copies the certificate and makes himself a phony award, Focus Canada still gains the exposure.
Recognition of SVT-WGN also addresses one of my pet peeves. There are very few manufacturers that actually provide the vehicle some of us want. The Ford SVT was a great little 3- or 5-door performance vehicle, but some of us also like sedans and wagons. Our only options were to buy an import (Volvo or Audi) or build our own. We chose the latter. Flash, just spotted the 2012 Focus on-line. Sounds like there may be a Focus wagon again, and a six-speed may be available. Hopefully, Ford will build this wagon with ST as an option.

Once again, thank you Focus Canada.