Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting Calipers
I know you can use high heat paint, but I've also seen those caliper painting kits out there and was just wondering if they're any better? What's your guys opinions on this?
I like the caliper laquer, it just seems more controlled since you put it on with a brush and its a two part laquer, so you need to work fast, one kit can usually do two cars easily.

I got the spray stuff when I did one of my cars and it was just a pain, and didn't seem to work as well...
I bought the kit and was easy to use. Actually Tyler did the work.It says to put on two coats but we did only one on my car and they look great.
2003 CD Silver SVT Focus
#21 of 2173
Now people might think it's agy but I also want to piant the drums too. Will one kit be enough paint for all four wheels?
MAlby7,Mar 7 2005, 05:23 PM Wrote:Now people might think it's agy but I also want to piant the drums too.  Will one kit be enough paint for all four wheels?
[right][snapback]91998[/snapback][/right]
Same Question... I have a Full kit ready for warmer weather.

kit cost me 20.00$
Hey Mike,

The kits are really good. I picked up a Duplicolor set a Canadian Tire.

If you paint the back drums, just do it black. Don't go with any crazy colour on the back drums.

I buddy of mine borrowed my kit and painted four calipers and it was very little that was used.

Vito :)
Present: 2004 Mazda 3 GT Sedan
Titanium Grey, MTX, Brullen Exhaust
17" x 7" Enkei Evo 6 (Anthracite) with
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Previous: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3
with Jackson Racing Supercharger
one kit should be more than enough, I used the dupicolor kit to paint my drums, and still have over half a can of paint left.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
Any tips for this? I imagine you jack up and do each corner.. How long for it to sit to apply the second coat and finally when can you drive the car after applying both coats..

skifreak69,Mar 8 2005, 03:52 AM Wrote:one kit should be more than enough, I used the dupicolor kit to paint my drums, and still have over half a can of paint left.
[right][snapback]92099[/snapback][/right]
[Image: svtfocusavatar1.jpg]

99 Mustang V6 Coupe Perf.Red w/MachAudio+TC
00 Mustang GT Coupe Perf.Red /MachAudio+Leather+TC
* 03 SVT 5dr Infra-Red Focus w/ Audio+Sunroof+WinterPkg
06 Mustang GT 'Vert w/ Shaker1K+IUP+ICA (~04/06)

* = (Current Ride)
I painted my drums with "cold cast iron" color engine enamel, looks a lot better than rusty drums without being too bright and flashy.

Just make sure you use a wire brush on your drums and get the rust off and clean it up.
taiyeungjai,Mar 13 2005, 10:44 AM Wrote:Any tips for this? I imagine you jack up and do each corner.. How long for it to sit to apply the second coat and finally when can you drive the car after applying both coats..

also curious, how long does this take?
I believe the second coat can be applied in about 15-30 minutes after the first coat. The back drums take a little more time...but the front calipers don't take that much time...just wrap the disc with newspaper so that you don't get any paint on them...

Vito :D
Present: 2004 Mazda 3 GT Sedan
Titanium Grey, MTX, Brullen Exhaust
17" x 7" Enkei Evo 6 (Anthracite) with
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Previous: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3
with Jackson Racing Supercharger
anybody have any colour suggestions for a white focus? i'm looking for to keep a white/chrome or silver/blue colour all through out my car
I would suggest not painting your drums a bright color. Drawing attention to the drum brakes just makes the car look cheap.. but rusty drums also look bad. I'd paint the calipers to match the body color or silver, and paint the drums black or gray (flat or glossy, whichever you like better).
Make sure to remove any and all rust prior to painting, I did mine (drums) last spring and only did a quick grinding cleaning on them before painting, and after this winter I've got some rusty patches, so I'm going to be redoing mine again this spring.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
i'll make sure to keep that in mind

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Painting Drums And Calipers j3rt 9 2,653 05-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Last Post: ROBSONzts