Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Change The Shifter Knob?
Hey guys, I want to change the shifter knob on my manual ZX3, how do I take off the stock shifter knob?
And does it matter that it has that reverse lifting function? Does the one that I replace it with need the same function?
littledevil,Mar 12 2005, 10:37 PM Wrote:Hey guys, I want to change the shifter knob on my manual ZX3, how do I take off the stock shifter knob?
And does it matter that it has that reverse lifting function?  Does the one that I replace it with need the same function?
[right][snapback]93100[/snapback][/right]

the shifter knob is threaded so spin it counter clockwise and it should come off.
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
The stock shift knob should just screw off. I think it turns count-clockwise. The reverse lock-out can be pulled off to if you don't wanna use it. I took mine off cuz the after market shift knob fit better with out it on. You can leave the reverse lock-out on, the new knob will just sit alot higher than the stock one did.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

so if I pull off the reverse lock-out, I assume that I'll still be able to shift it into reverse...
Yes you will still be able to shift into reverse without the reverse lockout sleeve.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
You can find some shift knobs that will work with our reverse lockout, I think Momo makes a couple, and there's always OEM Ford knobs from other cars that use the same style shifter (Contour/Mystique, Cougar).

The only thing about removing the reverse lockout color (which is just a plastic sleeve that goes around the metal shifter rod, with a piece attached to the bottom that hits something and blocks it from going to reverse without lifting it up and over) is that you'll need to attach the boot to the shifter itself. You can easily do this with a zip-tie inside the boot..
Thanks, so I can remove the boot, attach the top to the new shifter, then re-apply the boot?? (newbie)
If you're installing a knob that accepts the reverse lock-out, all you need to do is unscrew your stock knob and thread the new one on. No messing with the boot or anything.

If you want to remove the reverse lockout collar, you'll have to remove the stock knob, pop the boot up off of the center console and pull it up and remove it from the collar. Then you'll put your new knob on with whatever it uses (some have threads, some have set-screws), and attach the boot up to the top of the shifter with a zip-tie from the inside.

I think that makes sense.. you'll figure it out when you have the boot pulled up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shifter Knob Removal ThraxXx 6 1,797 01-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Last Post: ThraxXx