Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Think I Have A Weekend Project...
Going to paint my battery box and maybe my fuse / relay cover :)

Also, might get that EL installed finally. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
What Paint do you plan to use for the battery box. I've seen alot of plastic parts chipping. In the engine bay, heat etc.....
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I've got a can of metallic dupli-colour I got off Gord, gonna see how that looks by spraying the back of the box. If it's no good... no loss.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I find it funny that you were calling one of the nicest Foci's in Canada 'rice'.
01-yellow-ZX3,Apr 22 2005 Wrote:I find it funny that you were calling one of the nicest Foci's in Canada 'rice'.
[right][snapback]103717[/snapback][/right]

Am I missing something?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
01-yellow-ZX3,Apr 22 2005 Wrote:I find it funny that you were calling one of the nicest Foci's in Canada 'rice'.
[right][snapback]103717[/snapback][/right]

All I'm going to say to that is that Meford and I have conversed via PM about the matter, we've resolved it, and it is now closed.

On topic, the paint should match the body colour fairly closely... and it's supposed to be high-heat. :blink:

Sounds sweet.... are ya painting up that strut bar too?

as far as the plastic goes if you want it to have that metalic anodized look you'll need to pick up the dupli-colour metalcast ground coat(it'll be a silver can with the anodized ones at Crappytire). It goes on as a base coat and gives it that metalic sparkle, becuase the anodized colours are inteneded for polished or chromed metal.

Good luck can't wait to see pics!
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
Actually Gord, I'm leaving the bar as polished stainless. :) The stainless look (now that it's clean) is really turning heads!

I'll go look for that dupli-colour ground coat tonight when I get to Suds. Thanks for the heads-up, man. It doesn't need to be bang-on, but the closer I can manage, the better :D

I've got a neat idea that Gord knows about for the coin tray as well, but that will have to wait for a bit ;)

It will be... appropriate for everything else I'm doing with the car :D

The only problem with painting big plastic parts like the battery cover is that they flex so much. Paint will only flex a tiny bit before it cracks, that's the main thing. I've seen a lot of pictures of people with painted engine bay parts, and the battery cover paint is half cracked/flaked off.
Got any suggestions on ways around that Steve? I haven't started painting yet today, and the weather isn't very agreeable here in Suds. Might not get started this weekend - the in-laws don't have a garage, either :(

guilty,Apr 23 2005, 01:06 AM Wrote:The only problem with painting big plastic parts like the battery cover is that they flex so much.  Paint will only flex a tiny bit before it cracks, that's the main thing.  I've seen a lot of pictures of people with painted engine bay parts, and the battery cover paint is half cracked/flaked off.
[right][snapback]103865[/snapback][/right]

Would putting 2-3 layers of glass over it, help that?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Apr 24 2005, 09:02 PM Wrote:Would putting 2-3 layers of glass over it, help that?
[right][snapback]104185[/snapback][/right]

Oh it might.. or so would using a flexible plastic primer and adhesion promoter on the plastic, then being careful not to flex the cover at all. It's just that you have to bend it to release the clip to remove it.

I'm not sure how well glass would stick to the plastic, tdot has more experience with that.. or you probably do too :P
guilty,Apr 25 2005, 12:51 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Apr 24 2005, 09:02 PM Wrote:Would putting 2-3 layers of glass over it, help that?
[right][snapback]104185[/snapback][/right]

Oh it might.. or so would using a flexible plastic primer and adhesion promoter on the plastic, then being careful not to flex the cover at all. It's just that you have to bend it to release the clip to remove it.

I'm not sure how well glass would stick to the plastic, tdot has more experience with that.. or you probably do too :P
[right][snapback]104205[/snapback][/right]

I dont think it would stick, but then you would have paintable mold!! :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Never got around to it, but thanks for the suggestions guys!

NOS2Go4Me,Apr 22 2005, 02:03 PM Wrote:I'm leaving the bar as polished stainless. :) The stainless look (now that it's clean) is really turning heads![right][snapback]103754[/snapback][/right]
Taking a page from my book eh?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Quiet you, you're the SILENT inspiration! :lol:

I used Fusion paint from Krylon. No primer no sanding, nothing. I can flex it as much as I want. The battery cover will break before the paint does !! I had it done for almost 2 years now and it still looks great. Heat is really not a factor on the battery cover or fuse box so any paint will work. Hell, the Krylon even works on my valve cover. Also 2 years with no problems.

Good luck on your project.
Fusion paint from Krylon. Interesting. I'll have to check that out this weekend at Crappy.

Thanks! :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally A Weekend Project I Like! Oscar The Grouch 19 4,062 11-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Spinal