Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbos!
Were did u guys get your turbo's and how much did u pay for the set up, and what are your numbers now?
Most guys with turbos and s/c are seeing anywhere around 200whp now. SVT guys are seeing super nice #'s.

Personally with turbos.

I think the top 2 kits out there are

Toms and Precision. Toms being the best but $$$$ bling bling.

If you do a custom kit you may find used parts cheaper but thats not even what you should be worrying about. Its the tune that costs the most. Expect to pay anywhere from 4g up to 7g said and done. The bigger your budget the better.

Flo ad hardkore both have custom turbos.

5 lessons to remember when even thinking f/i from personal experience.

1. Make sure you have a backup car
2. Have a fully charged cell phone at all times
3. Dont remove any bolts that look like they do nothing
4. Have the money for a reliable tune
5. NOTHING is ever bolt on.
ZX3TUNR,Apr 27 2005, 02:05 AM Wrote:5 lessons to remember when even thinking f/i from personal experience.

3. Dont remove any bolts that look like they do nothing
[right][snapback]104890[/snapback][/right]

:rofl:

That's got to be the best thing I've ever read here, Jay.

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
what jay said.

Anything else you need to know.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
ZX3TUNR,Apr 27 2005, 02:05 AM Wrote:Flo ad hardkore both have custom turbos.

hardkore's is on ebay right now!
click
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX3TUNR,Apr 27 2005, 02:05 AM Wrote:4. Have the money for a reliable tune[right][snapback]104890[/snapback][/right]

Can't stress this enuff.

Get SCT Pro, or something you can change yourself. Your going to end up paying more with a mail order anyways.

Take me for example. I thought I was going to install everything, put the chip in, drive it down to the dyno, and send the values to Tom and I get my new tune. Nope, he needs to see STFT, MAF count/tick??, then I get a new tune, then i go to a dyno and get another tune....its a long process especially being up here in Canada and him down there.

If I was to do it again, Id get the SCT Pro with one of Tom's base tunes (His tunes are very good/safe for mail order). He can then probably just tell me over the phone how/what to change.

EDIT: I should add that Tom asks all of these things to make my tune as safe as possible and not to be a PITA. :lol: :P ;)
ZX5focused,Apr 27 2005, 09:06 AM Wrote:
click
[right][snapback]104929[/snapback][/right]

The guy that I bought my turbo from is sending me a brand new turbo and is going to help me out to make sure this problem of smoke doesn't happen again....so it'll be removed shortly....ebay is blocked for me here....

Yes, nothing is bolt on! Also, unless you know what your doing I would not suggest trying to create your own setup, it aint easy that I tell you!

hardk0re,Apr 27 2005, 11:16 AM Wrote:
ZX5focused,Apr 27 2005, 09:06 AM Wrote:
click
[right][snapback]104929[/snapback][/right]

The guy that I bought my turbo from is sending me a brand new turbo and is going to help me out to make sure this problem of smoke doesn't happen again....so it'll be removed shortly....ebay is blocked for me here....

Yes, nothing is bolt on! Also, unless you know what your doing I would not suggest trying to create your own setup, it aint easy that I tell you!
[right][snapback]104941[/snapback][/right]

Unless you gotta a little J&T behind ya. :lol:

But yeah, if you can afford a full kit, go that route.
I plan on doing the ProRacer set them send the values to some one and have them tell me what to change or they can send me a tune through email. Street tuning for me. No dyno at all :D

Still debating who I want to go through. Randy @ FocusSport, Tom @ Focus Power or Paul at Steeda. They all deal the setup but I got to find out who well be able to provide the best service. So far FocusSport seems to be the best since they include a base tune + the price of the kit allready includes additional tuning then I get access to the secret tuning forums on FocalJet :D where there is tun of support.

Any way. The ProRacer setup witch includes the Raptor datalogger is about $790US so after shipping and crap prolly be $1000 once it gets here. Then a wideband is needed and cheapest one I found is an LM-1 for $400. They are not cheap! So I looking to add about another $1500 onto my $4200 kit + svt maf $50 + Diablo MAFia $200 + colder plugs $13. Thats $5963 and If I plan on doing a custom FMIC thats another $300-$500.

Gauges like oil, fuel pressure and boost are also handy and your looking about $70 - $200 per gauge depending what style you get. The list just keeps goign once you get intot he F/I area. Sooner or later you well need upgraded breaks to stop all that power then new clutch after you wear out the stock on.

Prepare to spend.
I also forgot to add in unexpected costs. IE new belt I had to buy becuase procharger sent me wrong one, bend i needed fabbed becuase pro charger missed one, replacing the freon for my a/c that i accidentaly let all out :(. Just stupid stuff.

I certainly know for next time when I do my turbo kit.
ZX3TUNR,Apr 27 2005, 12:30 PM Wrote:I certainly know for next time when I do my turbo kit.
[right][snapback]104962[/snapback][/right]

In Jasons Case.

Prepare to really spend :blink:

Dood, you should be buying a house with all this money, im telling ya. Housing MUST be cheap out there.

With all the money you put in your car, I bet you could have had a nice 10% down payment on a 100K mortgage at the very least. ;)

Owning a house at your age. Now, thats pimp :lol:
Once I get the car paid off :D

LOL Once I get the dam thing drivable again and tuned LOL I plan on taking a year off from modding and just enjoy the car. Catch up on my bills then I well have tuns of extra $$. Allready looking into moving to Saskatoon.

LOL Seriosly I wish I would of just done a custom turbo setup at 8psi non intercooled (beleive thats the highest I can do without a fmic). Would of been so much cheaper.
plan about 1200$ for the proracer.. i ordered mine a year ago and it was 800$US.. then the conversion rates.. and it cost me 192$ for duties and fees for stupid customs..

im sure you can arrange something to not get hit so hard with customs though..

in a way.. with the pro racer, you save on shipping back and forth a chip.. and you can continue to fine tune it when you feel like it and only on the road.. so you save on dyno time too.. and i always though tuning on the street would be better as theres never the exact same environment on dyno as you'd get on the street.. its just nice having control.. at least, i like it ;)
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Apr 27 2005, 01:26 PM Wrote:plan about 1200$ for the proracer.. i ordered mine a year ago and it was 800$US.. then the conversion rates.. and it cost me 192$ for duties and fees for stupid customs..

im sure you can arrange something to not get hit so hard with customs though..

in a way.. with the pro racer, you save on shipping back and forth a chip.. and you can continue to fine tune it when you feel like it and only on the road.. so you save on dyno time too.. and i always though tuning on the street would be better as theres never the exact same environment on dyno as you'd get on the street.. its just nice having control.. at least, i like it ;)
[right][snapback]104976[/snapback][/right]

But still nothing beats a dyno tune, in terms of testing in a controlled environment and seeing/hearing everything going on with the car in a stationary position.

With the pro-racer nothing is stopping you from getting this done and then fine tuning it as you see fit once your on the road. But at least after the dyno tune you will have a fairly reliable and solid tune to work with. Especially if you get someone to tune you that knows what they are doing.
i would still get some pulls on the dyno.. but when you bring your car on the dyno from start to finish.. it can take a long time and we all know its not cheap.. so by doing it on your own time, you can still save and you'll have it done to how you drive even.. then when you think everything looks good or as good as you can make it..

then you can bring get it on dyno and tune for power with your already pretty accurate numbers.. you still saved a sh*tload of time and you can continue to do changes after that.. if you feel something the tuner made wasn't how you'd like it.. comes down to having control whenever you like
ZX3T gone..
The SCT pro racer has been both a blessing and a curse.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to get people to reveal their spark modifiers when they're not getting paid for it.

Advantages of SCT pro racer:
- base tune is very close to what you'll need
- small changes to enhance driveability are easier to make (ie, dashpot, decel spark, idle RPM, etc)
- swap parts at will, and just touch up the tune

Disadvantages of SCT pro racer:
- horrendously slow for using at a dyno that charges by the hour
- the software takes time to get really good at.
- you still need datalogging (+$500) ... oh wait, they include the raptor now, don't they? jerks...

honestly, the cheapest way to go is to get a tried, tested and true bolt-on kit. To be honest, turbo Tom is one of the few fully-tuned turbo kits out there that seem to require sending back the chips for updated tunes constantly... most others (ie, vortech, JRSC, etc.) will run for 100,000km with no problem.. but then again, any truly bolt-on (and run) kit will cost a premium, because the builder has to recoup their costs.

that being said, i don't think you'd go wrong with Turbo Tom's kit.. he'll see it through and he really stands by his product.

Immediately after that, Randy at FocusSport can definitely help you out, as he's like the SCT king... I'll be investigating becoming an SCT certified tuner (if there is such a thing) this summer as well (money permitting)..... wouldn't hurt as there seems to be a need for it in Canada.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Apr 28 2005, 07:40 AM Wrote:The SCT pro racer has been both a blessing and a curse.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to get people to reveal their spark modifiers when they're not getting paid for it.

Advantages of SCT pro racer:
- base tune is very close to what you'll need
- small changes to enhance driveability are easier to make (ie, dashpot, decel spark, idle RPM, etc)
- swap parts at will, and just touch up the tune

Disadvantages of SCT pro racer:
- horrendously slow for using at a dyno that charges by the hour
- the software takes time to get really good at.
- you still need datalogging (+$500) ... oh wait, they include the raptor now, don't they?  jerks...

honestly, the cheapest way to go is to get a tried, tested and true bolt-on kit.  To be honest, turbo Tom is one of the few fully-tuned turbo kits out there that seem to require sending back the chips for updated tunes constantly... most others (ie, vortech, JRSC, etc.) will run for 100,000km with no problem.. but then again, any truly bolt-on (and run) kit will cost a premium, because the builder has to recoup their costs.

that being said, i don't think you'd go wrong with Turbo Tom's kit.. he'll see it through and he really stands by his product.

Immediately after that, Randy at FocusSport can definitely help you out, as he's like the SCT king...  I'll be investigating becoming an SCT certified tuner (if there is such a thing) this summer as well (money permitting)..... wouldn't hurt as there seems to be a need for it in Canada.
[right][snapback]105120[/snapback][/right]

takes no more than 15-20 seconds to burn a program on my chip.. easily reachable from glove compartment too.. and for the software to get used to.. well i don't think its the software.. i guess knowing what everything means and does has a learning curve..

i think the only downside.. is its not a standalone and you can make modifications in real-time
ZX3T gone..
There is a need in Sask. No on here tunes :(.

The ProRacer now includes the tune and focus sports price does include a base tune and any further adjustment then they can email you a new tune.

Ya it sucks no one does remote tuning anymore unless you have a pro racer.
BerinG,Apr 28 2005, 12:47 PM Wrote:takes no more than 15-20 seconds to burn a program on my chip.. easily reachable from glove compartment too.. and for the software to get used to.. well i don't think its the software.. i guess knowing what everything means and does has a learning curve..

i think the only downside.. is its not a standalone and you can make modifications in real-time
[right][snapback]105121[/snapback][/right]

so in total, how much time does it take to pull the chip, reflash it, and reinstall it?

reflashing the stock ECU is as simple as pulling the fuel pump relay and plugging in the OBDII connector.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Apr 28 2005, 02:09 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Apr 28 2005, 12:47 PM Wrote:takes no more than 15-20 seconds to burn a program on my chip.. easily reachable from glove compartment too.. and for the software to get used to.. well i don't think its the software.. i guess knowing what everything means and does has a learning curve..

[right][snapback]105121[/snapback][/right]

so in total, how much time does it take to pull the chip, reflash it, and reinstall it?

reflashing the stock ECU is as simple as pulling the fuel pump relay and plugging in the OBDII connector.
[right][snapback]105220[/snapback][/right]

Pull the fuel pump relay? I just pull the abs fuse and flash??? Less than 5 minutes...